Register now to get rid of these ads!

History front engine dragster info help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jpswopes, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jpswopes

jpswopes
    from lindsay ca

alright this is for the old timers
    I am looking for information on a jr fuel dragster from the late 60's early 70's.
    I hope I have enough right info to find this car. I have a few guys helping already (waiting on pictures) so I decided to post on here for you dragster fanatics.

I found this car via craigslist (sitting in a field). the guy I got it from got it from his father and he got it from Atascadero.

so the hunt started there. once it set in that I might have found a (fed) with some history I didn't get my hopes up that it would of been a real famous car but still having history I wanted to find out what the history was be for I started changing anything. I noticed some changes over the life of the car and with a little help from a few cacklefest car owners it clued me in on more changes I didn't notice. also the info I got made better since of the frame design not matching any specific frame builder from the early day. the original builder did know what he was doing and wanted to take different ideas from other builders and put them in to his car ass you will see from the pictures ill post further down the page it didn't have a round bottom tube or two tubes curving up behind the drivers seat pan. the front half of the frame had time put in to it connecting the bottom rail and top rail where they meat the torsion housing for the front end.

so back to the history I have found (I hope is correct) the car was ither built by jack childers from arroyo grande area or he helped designing it. I am aslo under the impression from the info he also drove the car. I also was told he built or had his hands in building many cars in those days also driving them. I have found history on jack childers on line running a jr fuel car in 1975 to 1987 in a dragster powerd by hemis and small block chevys. along with the complete roller I got most of the body panels so I started to sand them till I could find some kind of lettering or detail to start with only to come up with nothing under the few layers there ( first black primer second yellow third primer grey and small amounts of body filler forth yellow fifth primer grey and sxth was green etch primer)

now with the modifications done over the years at one point it was stretched 30 inches the driver seat area got to main tubes added and supports between added also the single hoop and single rear tube for the roll cage got the axe and they installed two hoops and two rear tubes and some time later they even added some strapping(what for ?) there was also a change to the boddy tine around the engine at one point in the cars life they moved the engine back and added a transmission tail shaft mount (probably when it whent to a small block chevy

well witout further ado heres a few pictures to look over and if I need to ill get better pictures to help show some of the original detail( just ask ill post close ups)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and HiHelix like this.
  2. jpswopes

jpswopes
    from lindsay ca

here's a few more

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and HiHelix like this.
  3. rooman

rooman

The Jack Childers (and sons) listing that comes up on Drag List is for a Ron Attebury built AA/DA (at least the Shaw and Jackson entry) which is not this car. In that era the car would have been rear engined so this is from a lot earlier earlier in his history, most likely mid/late 60's to the early 70's. Apart from the mods to put a transmission in the car I would guess that the car has been stretched around 6 feet or more from its original configuration as a true junior fuel car was a very small and light package. As you note there is a lot of added tubing in the rear and I guess that the additional hoop on the front of the cars was an addition to meet a helmet to cage face ruling. I would guess that the original location for the mid plate (rear of the block) may have where the square uprights are located if the car was in fact a junior fueller although the fact that the cowl extends past that point adds another question mark. The fact that the rear end is mounted to the front side of the upright is also a little different to say the least.
    From the puke tank forward the car looks to be in its original configuration and is very nice with what could well be the original fuel tank judging by the size, construction and the number of fittings (one outlet and a pair of returns).

Roo

4. jpswopes

jpswopes
    from lindsay ca

Thanks for the info rooman. If you look at the front end close enough you can see the spot that got added. My idea is to find the right wheel base for this car and cut the back 3 ft off and the front 4 ft set the wheelbase and replace the whole center section.

Sent from my LG-H900 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Jack Childers jr

Jack Childers jr

I have a few pictures of this car if you are interested.it looks very different from these pictures.my dad Jack Sr.bought the car in 71 I believe.it was professionally built but I can’t remember who the chassis builder was.it was just the bare chassis.we assembled it with a S/B chevy on nitro and ran Pro/Comp.we ran it 3-4 years and it ended up with a hemi injected on nitro.Dad sold it around 75-76 and I drove the Shaw-Jackson AA/DA for a couple of years till 77. I bought a Uyhara RED in77 and Dad and I ran it with a SB Chevy blown on alky until quit racing in 88

6. chopped

chopped

How cool is that.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks like the Original Poster jpswopes has not logged in since 2017