Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. Fordors

Fordors

Noel Black’s Bonneville car testing at the Fremont, CA dragstrip. Noel lost his life when the car crashed on the salt.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have two fairly good excuses; I am old and I may be not hitting on all cylinders. Either way, I screwed up considering that the caption said "Ford".:eek:
    You have to admit that when I screwed up I did it on a world wide stage.
    Thanks to @DDDenny for trying to give me some cover.:)

11. I'm just breaking your balls. I have to edit about a third of my posts due to miss spelling or words out of place, so I really don't have much room to talk.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

He was, the whole sad story was in a Hot Rod feature. I worked with Steve before his funny car days. He was a good guy, taught me a lot about engine building. He ran out of money racing funny cars, and got into the drug crowd looking for easy money. It got worse, and he was shot leaving a restaurant. The killing made the New York Times.

13. Wayne Meli just sent me these pictures...made my day...and it's still early!

That's dad's AA/Comp dragster with the 8-71 blown Wedge motor, I don't know who's dragster that is with the unusual black scoop.

Yes, dad ran the GMC V 8-71 blower as early as 1964...that was his thing.
    They ran this car through 1965 were it set the Cecil County track speed record.

Pictured in the car and working on it is driver Steve Malise, who was dad's partner at Brooklyn Speed & Machine and also the dealer principal at Mid-County Buick in Brooklyn.
    malise & lipori wayne meli 1.jpg
    malise & lipori wayne meli 2.jpg

14. But wait...it get's even better! [​IMG]

In living color, we show the Comp dragster and of course, dad with no shirt on...as always,lol!

First look at The Silencer, the blue 'flake '66 model that they ran for a short time before constructing That Gold Car for the '68 season.

I have so few pictures of Silencer so these are really cool, again with dad's signature 8-71 blower AND the modified Hilborn scoop, new zoomie headers and that cool trailer painted by Wendell...notice the Buick wheels,lol.

The last picture showing The Silencer running at night is one of the few I have on file.

Those 2 pictures of dad & Steve by the trailer and in the car...Priceless!
    malise & lipori wayne meli 3.jpg
    malise & lipori wayne meli 4.jpg

15. One more picture of the 8-71 blown Wedge AA/Comp dragster...this was the only 8-71-blown car in the country at the time, fuel or gas.
    malise & lipori wayne meli 5.jpg

16. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

17. Tom Abbott Chute Metal dragster sports one of the first ballistic blower restraints, mid-60's.
    tom abbott chute metal dragster sports ballistic blower blanket mid 60s.jpg

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I responded to this (I think) photo a couple years back and found it hard to believe that I had never heard of them or seen another photo since, definately must not have been widely used.

oldiron 440 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Halibrand adjustable-width dirt track wheels ended up on many drag cars...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 296ardun

296ardun

AlleyDeWitt1.jpg
    Alley and DeWitt at Bakersfield

robinson doug 5.jpg
    Doug Robinson at Bakersfield. Doug built my B/FD at the same time he was building his own fueler. Credit is removed but it could be a Charles Milikan photo

chassis research ruter don san fran rambl perez photo.jpg
    Rudy Perez photo, Half Moon Bay

chassis research bad news side mcd bill scharing photo.jpg
    The "Bad News Ghost" at Fontana. The car is the old Cyr & Hopper TE-440, with Demar Ray's engine. The engine came out of the original "Bad News Coupe" after it crashed. Bob Sidebotham drove. The car went some rounds at the Fuel & Gas Championships at Bakersfield in '61 before losing an oil filter. Bill Scharing photo. (Dean Lowe reminded me that the engine was Demar's, and not Bruce McDowell's).

ganahal mystery roadster pomona.jpg
    Charles "Scotty" Scott on a run at Pomona. This was his street roadster that he ran before staring the famous Ardun T roadster. Photo from Pat Gahanal's newsletter.

warren fizler 1961 by Bill Hewitt (7).jpg
    Far side: If the Greek could run the ChiZler and Bud, Don and John the GuZler, why not the FiZler? James Warren and Roger Coburn ran it, here at Fremont, Bill Hewitt photo

grudem duncan 34.jpg
    Harry Duncan's '34 far side, painted "Duncan purple" and running either a blown Ardun or a 364" Chrysler. Harry owned a construction company and built some really nice cars. Norm Grudem photo

prudhomme2.jpg
    Don Prudhomme in the former Ivo single-engine car, with Dave Zeuschel's blown Chrysler. The car later went to Denver, run by Heth and Thompson.

duncan wise.jpg
    Harry Duncan again, here at Saugus with a blown Ardun. Harry's grandson gave this photo to Craig Wise, I believe.

chassis research baney.jpg
    The Yeakel Cadillac powered Chassis Research dragster, with Lou Baney's fuel Cadillac. Kenny Arnold is behind the wheel, with Baney second from left in the white shirt. Builder Scotty Fenn at right. Scotty would later claim to have no association with the car as apparently a funding dispute broke out. Later Emery Cook and Cliff Bedwell bought the car and dropped a fuel Chrysler in it, and shattered the drag racing top speed with a 166mph blast at Lions. The Southern California fuel ban started a week later.

PorterRies%20vs%20Brisette.jpg
    Porter & Reis in the Olds car against the Brissette fueler, Pomona. Steve Porter and Herb Reis build some strong Olds-powered top fuel cars before going their separate ways, and to Chrysler power. Might be a Manuel Maldonado photo.

grudem hadley dawson.jpg
    Dawson Hadley at Pomona, Norm Grudem photo

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  21. Another just surfaced picture of dad's AA/Comp dragster circa 1964, freshly built, not even lettered.
    [​IMG]

22. Thanks for the photos, and the info about them.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks 296ardun I always enjoy your posts because I learn something about the cars every time. the story on each car is as good as seeing them

Chrome don’t get ya home

mad mikey, 296ardun, jnaki and 3 others like this.
  24. Dave, the engine that ran in Bruce McDowell's Bad news coupe belonged to Demar Ray. Demar was an engine builder of some note. He built the little blown 4 bangers for Ell's Lohn's "Wee Ell" Bonneville streamliners.

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Dean Lowe same goes for you thanks for all your contributions I like the cars but the history of them is just as important

Chrome don’t get ya home

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Dean, I had forgotten Demar Ray, "Ray Engineering." I saw the Wee Eel at Bonneville in '59, but didn't know that Demar built its engines.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Those bottom 4 look like Safety Racing, like my, 7 inchers. IMG_3706.JPG

28. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This car is sitting in my garage .

29. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta see more pictures!!!.... :);)

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.