Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Mercury dual action fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d2_willys, Feb 11, 2021.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 1953 Mercury with original flathead engine. I am having trouble with the fuel pump. I have tried three different fuel pumps and the same thing happens:
    After installing the fuel pump (and filling the fuel pump filter bowl), I hit the starter button and only one spurt of fuel comes out, then nothing. I take the top portion of fuel pump off, only to find the diaphragm rod is not connected to the cam lever assembly. The vacuum portion is still connected.
    When installing the fuel pump, I leave the existing pump push rod cover on, then manipulate the pump into place.
    Is there something I am not doing correctly, or what would cause this to happen?

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Think I will pose this question to people who rebuild fuel pumps, such as then and now, etc.
    In the meantime, I will look over one of the spares I have to see if I can diagnose why the problem exists.

3. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Just a thought? I have seen the rod that operates the pump some times becomes short due to wear. My $0.02

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  4. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Dangerous Dan is right! We used to build up pump rod by welding pump end, filing and polishing and replacing. It was quite common practice. Today, you just buy a new one.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Guys, the pump rod wear is certainly possible, but 3 pumps having the same issue? But I will check my spares to see what the "hook" end looks like. I am thinking that the round end of the rod (takes in the camshaft push rod) might have something to do with the problem.

6. Let us know...........

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Lost in the Fifties nailed it. If all 3 pumps won't work, it's definatly the fuel pump rod has worn out (too short)...a very common problem on Flatheads. As mentioned, a spot of weld on the end of the rod will add length to it...an old time trick.

dirty old man likes this.
  8. Seth Morelock

Seth Morelock

What end did you weld and how much did you add to it

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add to the pump end. Add enough weld to be able to file it down to a 10-1/16 (10.0625) finish length...OR save yourself a lot of work...
    1949 - 1953 Ford Flathead V8 Fuel Pump Rod | eBay

10. Seth Morelock

Seth Morelock

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May also be the fuel pump cam lobe went flat on you. I have heard the "Dual-Action" fuel pumps (as used on Mercury's) can have that effect.

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, some aftermarket aluminum intakes are slightly thicker than original cast iron and that cam make the rod seem too short. Even a thicker intake gasket can affect it too

jimmy six likes this.