Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical One brake light stays on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Feb 7, 2021.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Hey guys I have a 1960 Studebaker Lark. I have the right side brake light that always stays on. The blinker works but it’s faint. Both filaments are lite. Left brake light works fine

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are sure that the wiring is right,dig into the turnsignal. The brake lights are used for turn signals as well as brake lights. The turn signal can power the brake light on independently of the brake switch and the flasher simply interrupts the brake light circuit.

ClayMart likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Sounds like the turn signal switch, or a short in the wiring somewhere. First I would change the bulb for a known good one. Just in case.

sunbeam likes this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Good call, beat me too it.

5. larry k

larry k

“Yep” that would be your turn signal switch touching inside !!!

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Are you sure the bulb isn't half way in with both filaments touching the button in the socket..

rockable, warhorseracing and Hnstray like this.
  7. I'd check the socket first to be sure it isn't corroded and that the ground is good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  8. cfmvw

cfmvw

Check all your grounds! A bad ground can do some pretty weird things.

X-cpe, clem, e1956v and 3 others like this.
  9. Try changing the bulb first. I had an OT car that I chased for three days after work on the tail lights doing what you just said. I checked all of the bulbs first and they were OK. Chased all wiring and ground issues then back to the bulbs. One had a filament broke shorting to the other filament causing all the headaches. Finally found it by changing the bulbs out one at a time. Yes the bulb in question still looked good even under a magnifying glass but it was bad.. Try changing the bulbs.

Desoto291Hemi, rockable and pprather like this.
  10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Turn signal switch rear right turn contact is always making contact to flasher terminal on switch. In this case the flasher will only have one bulb load when in straight position and therefore will not flash but will light. Wiring short doing this is also possible.

warhorseracing likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Check and double check grounds

12. @32highboy54,
    Have you resolved your light problem?

Phil

13. He has not been back since his initial post.:( Not even to check what anyone has offered to help him with his problem.:mad: Probably a troll.:eek:

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Trollatition is the word from the OP.

15. Member since 2008 and 129 posts.:( Maybe he forgot he asked a question, or where.:confused:

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I had a similar experience, and it was a ground issue feeding back through the bulb. If the originator of this thread hasn't checked up on it lately, we can be sure that it is likely to help others.

Saxman and Hnstray like this.
  17. 54vicky

54vicky

perhaps as happens too many times the problem was solved.but they never post back they lack the decency to do so.some wonder why the lack of response to some requests for help go unanswered this is prime example why.

warhorseracing likes this.
  18. Never entered my mind until now but a good thought and also entirely possible. Maybe from now on when they have a low post count I will skip answering. Trying to help people that do not appreciate it does get old.

pprather likes this.
  19. It needed a new flint. :rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi and warhorseracing like this.
  20. My list....
    for anyone else who may run into same prob.

CHECK ALL GROUNDS. If a ground gets dirty or unreliable, the current will find a different path. A most common happening is the blocked current making a turn and borrowing a nearby or a far away filament of another bulb as it's path to ground because it couldn't find the right path because of being blocked by a bad ground.

Check the bulb socket, and CLEAN IT.
    I have seen some contacts inside the socket have some recessed "buttons" due to overheating or corrosion. You may need to replace the common socket contact "pigtail" unit.

Studebaker turn signal switch...
    My Hawk will have that problem if I don't make a deliberate effort to make sure the signal lever is centered as it should be. You cant count on a worn switch to stay i the center position.
    I have also seen worn or recessed contacts in the turn switches that do the same.

For quite some time now I have contemplated using my 3d printer to make myself some polycarbonate copies of my Stude signal switches but I haven't had any spare time yet.

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    nochop likes this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Words to live by.......re-wired a simple headlight several times....only to fix it with A WIRE BRUSH

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  22. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

There’s probably more going on in this person’s life than his Studebaker brake light. No need to be derogatory.

Rusty Heaps likes this.
  23. OP still has not been back since he originally posted on the 7th of Feb. Unless he is counting grass roots he does not deserve any more responses.