Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 35 ford vs. 41 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Aug 12, 2020.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm a retired welder by trade. I've heard the story line that it "only needs floors" so often I'm not buying that story. There still has to be something left of the body shell to attach the floor to. True, someone may actually make all that stuff you will need, but those parts don't come installed, and most of the time they don't fit all that well.

For that matter, every time I hear about a car for sale that "only needs...." my mind goes crazy. With old cars, there is no such thing as "only needs..." That was the BS line someone gave you. If that was all it needed, why didn't they do it years ago?

Once you complete the only thing it needs, your only about $10,000 from being able to drive it around the block before you dump the next pile of money in it.

Without pictures of both, everyone is just speculating. Seeing pictures could change everything. Gene

Stllrng. and firstinsteele like this.
  2. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

I have decided to keep the 35. The work is not the problem at all. The hemi is a 270 red ram, muncie 4 speed. My decision was not easy. I really love mopar vehicles, but I traded a harley for the 35 several years back and has some sentimental value to it I did not really know I had at the time. If later I choose to sell it, it should bring decent money and i will find a Plymouth coupe at that time. Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions!!!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Here it is when I brought it home, parts are loosely hanging for photo FB_IMG_1587578270191.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Might be some truth to that; other than the Plymouth part.

5. George

George

The little Dodge would be the easiest to fit in either.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

no question, the 35

olscrounger likes this.
  7. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I had a small hot it was sweet but no comfort. So now I have a 39 Plymouth Coupe so I have room for me to fit . I would do the Plymouth

Attached Files:

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold the car of my dreams, a '36 3-window with 276" flathead, a '39 toploader, and '39 brakes about 5 years after I finished it because it was just too cramped. The first couple of year I put up with it because it was a nice car, but after that, it started gnawin' on me.

(If you are under 5' 10" and 200 lbs, ignore this.)

9. John Jasinski

John Jasinski

I am rebuilding a 1941 Plymouth Coupe that has been in my family since 1942 :) . I would be interested to know what kinda parts you have laying around.

low down A likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I own an old Plymouth, but I like Fords.

11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

All you need is a motor, brakes and fresh tires ... run it!

12. I am an early Ford guy; 100%. But that being said I think a 1941 Plymouth coupe is one of the prettiest cars of all time.

RAK, leadfoot1000 and j hansen like this.
  13. Jon Lecure

Jon Lecure

I have been looking for the center windshield chrome strip for my 1941 Plymouth Coupe. The one I have is in need of repair so I’m looking for a good replacement.

14. coupe man

coupe man

I'd go with the Ply.But then I'm a little biased.

15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a soft spot for a 35 Ford, as a kid my dad bought cars at the Dodge dealer, back in the shop there was a 35 coupe that was a drag car (1960) that the sons of the dealer were building. I've also got a friend with a 35 coupe that will probably be sold when he dies as a project that was never started:( Nothing wrong with the MoPar, just personal preference. I actually like the grille better on the 35 over the 36, I guess I should post in the "who figured out they were odd" section:)

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s been over 5 months. What did you decide. @46poncho

17. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I'm a Ford guy btw and I vote for the Plymouth with the Hemi if for no other reason, to be different and I like the lines of car. Who cares what its worth at resale, its a hobby not a vocation. Think outside the box, and not to stir the hornets nest, stay with the Hemi tired of guys running plain vanilla power plants

Wurger likes this.
  18. He already stated that he kept the Ford...

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't restrict your search to 1941 Plymouth - try any car made by Chrysler from 1940 to 1948.

20. Jon Lecure

Jon Lecure

Thanks for the info. I was not sure which cars and years were comparable.

21. desertdroog

desertdroog

EDIT* I didn't realize this was an old thread when it popped up. *

I have a 1941 Plymouth Business Coupe waiting for attention after my Model A is on the road. I'm really excited to get started on it. However, if I had a 35 Ford Five window in hand, I would keep the 35 Ford Five window, all things being the same between the two.

22. I’m also an early Ford guy; but 1941 Plymouth coupe is in my top 4 favourite cars of all time. I’d be all over that mopar!

23. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Still have the 35 ford, sorry for not see this sooner

stanlow69 likes this.
  24. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

About the same amount of work but the Ford will be worth more if you have to sell it

25. Nicolas Lassont

Nicolas Lassont

So true, you have told what neewed to be told

26. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Agreed. Not a bad angle on that body, and those headlight trim rings...:)