Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A Complete Hot Rod Restoration...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Complete Hot Rod Restoration...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing work and skills . Thank you for sharing .

loudbang likes this.
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love watching his videos. They've definitely given me some tips on resurrecting some of my old Tonka toys.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wasn’t this a journal post like a year ago?

still very cool though

loudbang, pprather and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

loudbang and Tim like this.
  6. that was fun to watch... I'm guessing they may make some restoration parts for these ?
    new caps and white wall inserts... I restored a Thimble Drome about ten years ago.. they made some repop parts
    for them.. hand brake lever, exhaust pipes.. decal sets.. was a fun project

loudbang likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If they do I haven’t found them. I’ve seen a lot of people 3D printing whatever they need though

loudbang likes this.
  8. loudbang likes this.
  9. flathead60

flathead60
    from NH

So cool!!!! Great skills and technique.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

That tow truck was very cool, too. I started to ponder something like this as R/C to rescue wrecks around a yard..

loudbang likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

One lucky dude. If I tried that those stupid little tabs that hold it together and the fenders on would have broken off the first time I tried to unbend them. :mad:

12. toyfront.jpg Wow! This guy has a TON more than me of patience. He did a super great job.
    A few months ago Mrs Rocky and I stopped by a garage sale and I found an old Wyandotte little steel car. Both front and rear wheel wells were skirted and had little wooden wheels [3 wheels] hiding behind the skirts. It was red and all scratched up but no rust. I got it for 5 bucks and looked it up online to find several for sale.....owners were asking from $75 to $90 but I didn't see any of them sold so what the hell.....I'll do it the way I want.
    I soaked it in a vinegar bath, cut out the wheelwells with tin snips and painted it a beautiful shade of brown. I mixed up some JB weld, coated the wheels/tires of a 1/25th model kit and cemented the tires directly to the inside of the car's body. Painted the grill and headlights silver and presto! Done. The ugly little thing sits on my entertainment center. toy1.jpg toy2.jpg toy3.jpg toy4.jpg toy5.jpg toy6done.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Finn Jensen and Tim like this.
  13. Jay -

A couple of weeks ago, I forwarded the 'Rescue and Restore' videos on the X-Wing & Millennium Falcon restorations to my (20 year old) son ... suggesting that should he stop sitting in front of his computer screen and start restoring some of his (circa 1978) Star Wars toy collection.

He in turn, asked me if I had watched the 'Rescue and Restore' video on the Nylint Roadster restoration as he knew I had one as a child:

My 4th Birthday gifts.jpg
    Me proudly posing with my 4th Birthday gifts​

I, of course, had already watched it (several times) ... and was reminded that I had recently posted it in your March 18, 2014 TJJ Blog entitled Nylint Hot Rods.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Really good restoration. Of course a traditionalist would have used lead instead of JB Weld.

15. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Oh good. I feel less weird for loving this guy’s videos.