Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Avoiding waste of money...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You have trouble spending $150?:D

F-ONE likes this.
  2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I order like $2000 worth of shit and forget like a $20 part, then get boned out of free shipping

rockable, F-ONE and ffr1222k like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I did that is summer. Then did an online search for the head gaskets I forgot to order. Amazon had them the same price as Summit, but free shipping.

F-ONE likes this.
  4. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

This is why I own 5 caulking guns!! I never used to be able to find them because last time used it was put in a handy spot where I would be able to find it. Never could. LOL

Hotrodderman

X-cpe, F-ONE and Ziggster like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I try and refrain from buying too far in advance. I tend to forget what I bought and where I put it. Case in point, I had a 327 on a stand that I bought a cam for...when I was looking for something else, I found 2 other cams- all different grinds. Guess it depended on the mood I was in.

F-ONE likes this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

^^^
    So true!
    The rudderless ship will see a lot of ocean but it will never drop anchor.:rolleyes:
    Multiple Projects...are never a good idea!

1959Nomad and anthony myrick like this.
  7. Multiple projects?
    Guilty as charged

F-ONE likes this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am getting parts for my two future projects,so far I have a 261 and 3 speed o/d for a 46 to 48 Chevy coupe and Y block parts for a Y block in a 40 Ford. Do not know if I could afford those cars but will have some parts if I could find a killer deal on either one.

F-ONE and guthriesmith like this.
  9. I try not to buy anything I don’t plan to use soon unless it is a steal. I learned the hard way about 25 years ago when I bought lots of parts I wanted for a project 64 GTO that I was building as a fun 60’s era drag/street car. That was right before marriage and kids. ;) Car was sold in pieces and I probably still have a few small parts from that build. Now, I buy as I go and try to stick to very budget builds. No more high-dollar go fast parts for me at least until all the teenagers move out. :D

F-ONE likes this.
  10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Until a couple of years ago I travelled extensively around our fine country
    working nuclear power house projects. I would pursue local car cultures
    and various shops, vendors, and such. Often I would buy items for my
    projects that would and will be needed at some point. Now I am retired
    and dont get around or have the overtime extra funds on hand as I once did.
    These parts and pieces are gradually finding their way into the scope of things. So buying ahead has worked out for me to some extent. Also
    there was the fun of have a pocket full spendalies and no adult supervision
    to be found!

alanp561 and F-ONE like this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Anthony,
    I should have said multiple projects for me is never a good idea.

I end up trying to work on them at the same time. I still have multiple projects but I have downsized. The F1s are are gone.
    Nothing exists right now in the shop but the blue coupe. The other two I ignore.

anthony myrick likes this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

Stay on track - write down your build plan, write down your parts list. Changing the build and rebuying or redoing completed work is a timeline killer.

Work in sections and buy all the parts needed for that area. Finish it.

Stay with OEM parts whenever possible, just use better or newer versions.

"KITS" of aftermarket parts - usually snowball into needing to change other stuff.

Learn to buff paint - from a pro. This will let you get comfortable with doing your own paint and being able to fix what you lay down. Hint Hint single stage non metallic - its beautiful, you dont need no stinking pearl.

F-ONE likes this.
  13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Temptation...
    As far as the rear axle status in my Shoebox....The issue is in doubt. I have some concerns I think there's more going on than a pinion seal leak.:rolleyes:
    There's this 1951 Mercury roller for sale locally. He's asking $350
    [​IMG]
    The little devil on my shoulder says...
    Go get it Dummy.
    You can use that Dana 44. The only thing tougher is a 9".
    You can find a use for those pipes on your Ford.
    There's a good transmission for your brother's F1
    You do know that engine has a 4" crank.
    Even if the block is bad...You can get that 4" crank and rods...
    There's you some springs.
    There's so much there for you to use.
    Go get that...pay a little now to save a lot later.

The little angel says...
    Firstly, what the heck are you doing on marketplace?
    350 bucks for a axle that may be worse than the one you have?
    It's 5x5.5 your Ford is 5x4.5.
    If the axle shafts do not swap, what then? Drilling new studs. Truck pattern rear wheels?
    I'll admit, there's a lot of good parts there but be honest, you are not going to use hardly any of that.
    It's a piece a junk that'll be in the way.
    Stay the course. If something goes bad, cross that bridge when you come to it.
    Forget about that junk.
    Again, stay the course.

ClarkH, wicarnut and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  14. Oldb

Oldb

Sounds like there are several of us that have had this experience. Just yesterday I looked for an A/C flush tool I have to lend to a friend. I had not used it in many years. I knew it was aluminum and that is what I was looking for in a 45' row of packed shelves I have on the wall of my shop. I stopped looking and did something else for a while and then looked again. It was still in the blue box it came in. Because I was fixated on an aluminum cylinder I looked right past the box. Slowing down and looking at every single item made the difference.
    One thing I have found which works for me sometimes is to stop looking and start over. I ask myself if I had just bought this item where would I put it right now?
    B

F-ONE and wicarnut like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Would you come over and find my micrometers please ? ;)

Oldb, F-ONE, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  16. I know that guy
    I thought about it.
    I have a 50 merc, could build that chassis or use it as a “jig” while I weld in rockers/floors and send of the original for blasting.
    Then I realize I have 3 parts cars.

F-ONE likes this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yep...
    I thought about it. I'm not going to pursue it. It's a lot of useful stuff but it's not necessary for me right now and would be a distraction in both time and money.

I thought about you. I was going to say Hey, Anthony check this roller out Warrior! I see you are already on top of it.;)

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I understand not wanting more junk around, but $350 for this with a flathead and driveline seems like a really good deal:

[​IMG]

Oldb likes this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For sure! I'm going to let someone else enjoy that one.;)
    It took a minute for the light bulb to come on. Other than Mercury specific parts....

I already have all that extra stuff including an "ready to go" spare engine.

That rear is the same as a F1..my brother has an extra. He also has a 8".
    So I do have options.
    This goes along with the theme of the thread. It's a good deal but I really don't need it and may never use any of it
    Just seeing it all together at a fair price is tempting.
    The intake and head are off the engine and it's full of water. A month ago it got down to 20F. It may not be quite the deal it appears.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  20. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Being in a rush always costs more. I make a list of the parts I need. As long as I'm in no hurry I can scour Ebay etc and find parts as reasonably as I can. I'm a sucker for Ebay....

I build all my own wiring and use universal relay/distribution boxes or old OEM stuff I get at the pick&pull.

I keep track of all expenses for pretty much all my projects.

Tools never count! Tools are always a good investment.

F-ONE likes this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tend to build cars that are less popular. Therefore, finding parts is harder. You have to want them when you find them, because you can't always find them when you want them! For example, door latches for my 49 Buick are a one year only design. Not to worry, I've got spares now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    F-ONE likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I feel that money spent on hot rods, if you don't have the cash flow, is a lost of money. Hot Rods are for people who:
    1. Build or maintained their own vehicles.
    2. Most people who who own, "by the number/matching numbers" restored vehicles usually at some point have some or most of the work completed by others and spend a large amount of money on matching parts or items that were a option for that vehicle. Example having a Winters grill on a hot rod 32 Ford.
    3. The trick is not to mixed up the two.

F-ONE and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Money spent on non-investment grade, recreational vehicles is usually a waste of money, which represents the overwhelming majority of the automotive hobby. Let's face it, hot rods and customs are not essential items. They're frivolous expenditures made for the enjoyment of the car and hobby. The bottom line is that to participate in this game, you need some level of disposal income. Robert Kiyosaki succinctly wrote that "assets put money in your pocket, liabilities take money out of your pocket". Based on that, any car, part, engine, etc., is a liability in that it costs money to maintain, insure, store, etc., or simply ties up money that could be utilized in more economically fruitful ways, and whether you have the cash flow or not, it's still a loss of money. That's not why we do this. But I think we all understand that there is an acceptable level of economic irresponsibility inherently present in what we do here.

There's also a I think a large contingent of folks who don't turn their own wrenches either because they don't know how, or have sufficient income to make it worthwhile to contract that work to a professional. That doesn't make the people enjoy the cars any less, and it keeps good builders, body men, painters, mechanics, etc., in business.

I think the point of this thread is to highlight ways that money is wasted in a build, whether it's done by the owner or not, and keeping resources focused in ways that have a tangible impact on the final product, and not winding up on the shelf or in the garbage.

F-ONE and KevKo like this.
  24. I got a lot of wasted money in the garage right now. Most of it will get used on my last project car if I ever get one. I guess it is not really wasted, just stuff left over from other projects and makes up most of what is needed to build one last car.

F-ONE likes this.
  25. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I have also found Ebay to be a decent outlet for parts which I dont need or will ever use. I've sold much of my 80s VW collection and used that PayPal money to buy what I need/want for my '59.

I've also sold parts from my '59 which were removed for upgrade.

F-ONE likes this.
  26. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

True, hobby cars aren't an investment, just a hobby, a pleasure for pleasure's sake. One doesn't buy a bass boat and fishing tackle, or a golf cart and golf clubs expecting to make money, they're for your hobby. I get so tired of people telling me that I won't make my money back on old cars. They don't get it. It's not about the money, it's about the enjoyment! And yes, I have wasted a lot of money by buying double the parts when I buy and forget parts, or go in a different direction than originally planned. I still will not give up putting together old cars. Its a calling to rescue cars that may not survive otherwise, they're not making any more of them and more are disappearing every day!

X-cpe, F-ONE and 31Apickup like this.
  27. LOL one of my buddies had a problem getting his small block to rev one year at MoKan. He thrashed the entire time we were there. We hooked up for drinks at a local watering hole later in the fall, he walked over took a beer out of my hand handed me a shot of bourbon and said, "I figured out what was wrong with my car. I had two cams on the bench when I was putting the engine together and picked up the wrong cam" :D :D :D

F-ONE likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have started buying these. I write on the lid what it's for. I have one right now for the 390 Cadillac build, the Dragnfly 2.0 build etc.
    [​IMG]

COCONUTS and F-ONE like this.
  29. LOL my garage is full of totes from our move still. My garage stuff is not marked well at all but I have an idea where to look. Once the house is out of my garage I am going to organize things right.

dana barlow and F-ONE like this.