Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1955 Buick Special Old School Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kardude67, Aug 4, 2014.

1. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I probably should have done this during the build, but I put the car together in three months, so spare time was non-existent. I had been kicking around the idea of building a gasser, and I had a pump gas 491 BBC that needed a home, so here we go. The premise of the project was to build a gasser with period parts the way a couple of guys might have done in the mid sixties. Drag it in the garage (actually, I drove it in. The Nailhead purrs), cut it up, fab some suspension, and go try to break it. My goal was to race it at the KKOA event in Salina. I came up 12 hours short.
    I don't have a frame jig, and I basically do rough measurements, stand back and look at it, then weld it up. If it looks right, it probably is.

Attached Files:

2. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I had a front end out of a '56 F100 that had been chromed in a previous life under a custom truck. I snatched it up at the Wichita swap meet a couple of years ago. It came complete with brakes and both front AND rear leaf springs. I also had an old Frankland quick change with wide 5 hubs that needed a home. Add a reverse valve body turbo 400 and I had the majors to build the car.

Attached Files:

3. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I'm just running through the build pics. From pulling the nailhead and cutting the front off of the frame to mocking and fabbing the front frame and suspension was a matter of a couple of weeks of evenings and weekends.

Attached Files:

4. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

IMG_6878.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6878.JPG IMG_6879.JPG

Attached Files:

5. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

The pic with the pallet of sheet metal on it was to see how 1000 lbs was gonna sit. My guesses were close enough. Throw in enough adjustment holes and guess close, and you can have 'er rollin' in no time.

6. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like it. Someone had an old Buick Gasser on here for sale a few years back. I wonder if it sold? Very unique.

8. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

IMG_7057.JPG IMG_7060.JPG IMG_7057.JPG

Attached Files:

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

ancient thread but anyone know if this build was continued or finished?

10. chopped

chopped

If you check his profile pg. he's been missing since 2015