Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not all Hambers are nice people.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink56, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phat rat

phat rat

Everything else aside what do you see here that would help you make a decision as to whether or not you'd deal with one of them? Also not many here give feedback on a purchase, if they did mine would be over double what it is

2. Was the transport an actual company or some guy who knew a guy with a trailer? From everything that you have posted you hadn't discussed how the car was being transported with the seller beforehand and then some random guy phones him to arrange for pickup. . Not a chance I would have sold to you with that arrangement without having money in hand. If I posted this scenario as a seller on here everyone of the guys condemning him would tell me to run for the hills and not sell to you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

I took a $500 deposit on a car this last August. There was 4 guys very interested. This kid about 30 gave the deposit and I was to deliver 50 miles away in 2 days, his car was supposedly sold and was getting the money on Monday. Well after 2 weeks we both realised he was being scammed. He did not ask for his money back, He was a young guy and had a family so I gave it back to him. I didn't have to, But I had to so I could live with myself. The bad part is it probably would have been sold. So if i sell anything again, No deposit, When I get the all the money in my hand it's sold.

clem, jim snow, RMONTY and 5 others like this.
  4. Butch, my wife has always said you might read about Danny in the obituary's but not in the divorce column. :eek: HRP

WB69, TagMan, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  5. pitman

pitman

^^^ Mr. Phat R. has been here for some decades! :eek:

6. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

It's too bad stuff like this happens. I've been really lucky. A long time ago I bought a '58 Plymouth from a guy down in California. All communication was over email and maybe a couple of phone calls. He even agreed to bring it up here to me.....seeing as how he was going to coming up to visit his sister for the holidays. I sent him a money order for the full amount. (this was back before internet transfers became common) Looking back at it, I could have gotten screwed good. Luckily we were both stand up guys, and it worked out great.
    Weirdest deals I've ever had were when a guy sent me $400 for a Hudson parts car, then sent me a message telling me he sold the car he was going to use the parts for. Told the new buyer where the parts car was, never heard from anyone about it again. Ended up selling the car again locally. (after like two years). Also have had a couple of small deposits put on things, and then the guys fall off the face of the earth. Weird.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Deals fall through on both ends, Sometimes after one or both side has put in a lot of effort. That's life.

The more we complicate things, the more the chances increase for stuff to fail or go wrong.

If the car is "still for sale" the deal isn't dead. If you still have a decent rapport with the seller (and he still has the car) there's still an opportunity to get it. Though bitching and moaning publicly doesn't help.

If you really want the car, get back ahold of him and find out what he needs to get it done. Then, don't waste time when you hear what it takes. Rent a truck and trailer if you have to and spend a weekend going down and back.

Boneyard51 and low down A like this.
  8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sent the "seller" a PM to get some details. He responded with what I would say is a questionable reason for cancelling the sale. Something about getting a call from a phone number he didn't recognize.

Xtrom and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that like "double secret probation" from Animal House?

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You never know. Had a guy wanting a 40 Ford restored dash. He came by and looked at it and paid us-it was not cheap. He said he would come get it later. Never heard from him again. Finally tracked him down-got his address and sent his money back. Check was cashed but never heard anything from him--very strange. Dash is still hanging on the wall.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think in this era of so many cars being sold online without the seller and buyer ever meeting face to face, it's become much easier for either party to renege on the deal. The fact is that many people remain anonymous to each other, and that makes it very easy to back out. Sure the guilty party may feel guilty, but it wont stop many people from doing the wrong thing.
    It's not like the days when all used car sales were face to face, and if somebody backed out they had to look the other party in the eye and do it.

12. Deuces

Deuces

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

between daily's and oldies I'd say I have had close to 40 cars and motorcycles. all but one a private party sale. every single one of them I went and looked and bought it on the spot, gave them money and they gave me the title. THEN I figured out how to get it home if I could not just drive it. if I needed a truck and trailer I would get back the next day.
    as a seller if nothing exchanges hands then you are just talking. whatever you are saying sounds to me like the grown ups on Charlie Brown cartoons, it is just noise, I don't hear much until you reach for your wallet. if you say you are going to buy it and don't buy it I don't care, because what you say means nothing.

here's a story. listed my 49 Chevrolet sedan. guy calls from Sacramento which is like 2 hours away. we talk about the car he asked where I lived but never said he was coming out that day. didn't make any sort of offer or indicate he was interested beyond the phone call. 3 hours later I am working on it fixing the stereo and the dash is all apart and he shows up to buy it. he didn't even drive it. had I left the house to go do something and he showed up he'd be here on the HAMB complaining about how he drove 2 hours to look at a car and the guy left and how people suck.

egads likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I sell a car to someone out of town I will give them time but will have others lined up in case the first one does npt come through,I had someone hold a car for me in Florida with no deposit until I could come down and get it so I will try to do the same.

15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 2018 I got a PM regarding a Stude rolling chassis with title I wanted to sell. We went back and forth with messages, I'd consider a trunk lid and tail lights for a straight across trade or possibly buy outright. About three weeks later we were in this HAMBer's locale on vacation and thought maybe we could touch base on what he had. No response for several days and then a note that his wife had surgery and he was busy with that. I can understand.
    I sent pictures a few days later so he knew what he was getting and the response was "looks good" A couple of more months with no messages, so I messaged him and have never heard anything back. He is on this forum virtually everyday. I didn't lose anything but it still ticks me off that I got no response. Maybe I just like to whine?

31hotrodguy, yblock57 and Joel W like this.
  16. About 50 years ago, a guy in California had a 1935-36 Willys sedan delivery body for sale for $ 500.00. It was cut off through the windshield posts, no cowl. I had a rust free 1933 Willys that was hit in the rear, so I intended to clip it. I asked for and got pictures, and sent payment. I had a buddy that hauled cars, and he would pick it up for me, and deliver it to me in Connecticut. My buddy couldn't get to the body right away. The seller sent me a letter saying if my buddy didn't get there within a week he would sell the body to someone else and I could get the money from my buddy. I was pissed, I waited until the next day to call the seller, and I told him that if he sold it out from under me, I would be on the next plane to LAX. My first stop after landing was to be at a sporting goods store, where I would buy the biggest baseball that that they had, and my second stop was to be at his front door. He got the message, and my buddy picked up the body about 2 weeks later. It gets better. On a trip to the LARS I saw a very nicely restored 1958 Chevrolet sedan delivery, American Tobacco salesman's vehicle. It was a rare 6 cylinder, air conditioned, with glass windows where the metal panels should have been. After talking with owner for a while, I asked his name. He told me, and I asked him if he ever had a Willys sedan delivery body for sale. He said that he had, and I told him that I was the guy that bought it. He turned very pail, started stammering, and was very apologetic. I told him that this is why you don't screw somebody as you may come face to face with him some day. I got my satisfaction after seeing the look on his face.

17. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I’ve learned that some sellers aren’t worth the effort to buy from and that some buyers aren’t worth the effort to sell to.

clem, das858, WB69 and 3 others like this.
  18. Exactly what I said happened and not questionable at all. The seller was making a deal with the OP and then some third party is calling him to arrange pick up. Has scam written all over it. He was smart to bail. Should have probably come clean with the OP and said this whole deal has become sketchy and I want out and not used the wife as an excuse but had every reason to feel worried. Classic paypal scam dealing with one person and then all of a sudden a third person is picking it up and then poof paypal claws the money back once the item is picked up. Not a chance in hell I would follow through with that deal with someone I don't know. The OP needs to educate himself about what goes on with these kinds of deals these days before buying things in this manner.

egads and 57 Fargo like this.
  19. When I sold my coupe I had a guy say he would take it but he wanted to come and k=look the car over before any money changed hands, I told him that was fine but the first person to show up with cash in hand buys the car, he then ask me if he sent a 1,000 non returnable deposit if I would hold off until he got home from his vacation, I agreed and not 30 minutes later a guy from Georgia called and said he wanted the car.

I gave my word and I told the guy from Georgia I had taken a deposit, he got pissed and said we have talked twice in the last two week, I told him if the other guy from North Carolina didn't buy it I will call you, sure enough I checked with my bank and there was a 1,000 dollars deposit, the young man showed up on his way home from vacation and loved the car, he paid me in full and came back a couple of days later with his friend to pick the car up.

Noting is a done deal until cash changes hands. HRP

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have bought an sold stuff, both privately and commercially for over fifty years. Over those years absolutely everything thing under the sun has happened to me. But over the years I have developed some rules which I live by! Maybe there should be a set of rules written somewhere defining buying and selling equitte.
    Number one rule is, the deal is not complete, nor item leave my hands untill paid in full with irreversible payment.
    #2: I stand by my word! But what you think is my word may not be what I said! Such as a guy says “ I”ll take it, be there today! Ok he shows up tomorrow, item is sold, he thinks I broke my word..... I don’t!
    3: A guy is coming to look at an item, I will hold it for him for a reasonable travel time. He stops to eat lunch while 10 minutes away, it may be sold when he gets here.
    4: cash talks!
    5: Odd things can happen, when they do, be wary! But understand this is not a perfect world.
    6: In today’s world there is absolutely no excuse for not communicating with the seller or buyer in a timely fashion.

These are some of my rules, probably have others, these are just what come to me now. I could tell you about the hundreds of times a guy told me “ this” and did “ that” , but I always protect myself, first!

Bones

egads likes this.
  21. Joel W

Joel W

How do I check my trade rating? Using the mobile app I am not seeing that, it is good to know we can make reference is something goes sideways.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Just like the saying in that old Paul Newman movie " what we have here is a failure in communication".

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Sounds like the buyer should have called the seller and said "i am going to have so and so call you to arrange shipping and here is the way you will get your money before the shipper shows up!" Done deal.....its called communication!

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. True words, Danny, well said.

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

This day and age, if you find something you want, you best go get it right away because there is too much chance if you wait.

Chicster, 49ratfink, Stooge and 2 others like this.
  27. Truckedup

Truckedup

I sold a project 49 Chevy pu on here a few years back. I thought the photos and our phone conversation gave an honest description....The buyer arrived after a longish trip and was not all that happy...He was honest but respectful..He did buy the truck however for the price...
    I bought an engine from an want ad here about the same time..The seller seemed ok so I sent him the money, about 400 bucks, he promised to ship it immediately....Well, he went to sleep on me..Several phone calls and emails over a few weeks and he wakes up...The engine arrives and it was pretty fucking bad....Maybe that's what the buyer thought who got my truck....I never bitched here about the deal....It's my opinion the OP of this thread paid no money for the vehicle and he should just say Shucks, kick a few rocks down the road and forget about it...

28. That is EXACTLY what the buyer did! He had originally contacted me for the transport, but I was booked too far out, so I recommended another quality transporter with whom he booked. The transporter contacted the seller & set everything up. As the OP stated the seller did not request a deposit & was fine with all the details of the transaction.

By the way, I love your avatar! Back in 1984 just a year or so after opening my business I was not sure it was going to be successful, so at the urging of my future Mother-in Law, I took a job as the Cleveland Area Sale Manager for Bear Automotive. Couldn't stand the suit/tie crap & it only lasted 8 months. All ended well as my business has been very successful & Bear has been out of business for decades!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

29. But again the way this deal was set up from the buyers end is a known paypal scam. Just because you guys are oblivious to it doesn't make it not so. The seller probably got off the phone and felt it was sketchy, which the way it was set up it absolutely was. The seller should have given the real reason but he gave plenty of notice and had a legitimate concern about how the deal was arranged.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Then who knows what happened.....its probably for the best for someone either way!

I first saw the "Bear" in Garland Tx at a Safety Lane when I was a kid and it always got my attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.