Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. big john d

big john d
    from ma

when trying to put 100 foot pounds on the mains instead of holding your foot against the engine stand try standing on the crossbar at the back the stand does not move

redzula, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  2. greaser

greaser

When fabricating small steel brackets and such, I usually grab the small HF air tool with 3" cutoff disc to clean/smooth weld surface. Grind with the edge of the cutoff disc, and minimize bending the disc. Cuts quickly, and with a little practice, the surface will need minimum filing.

loudbang likes this.
  3. If you find the load is a bit heavy for your cherry picker; it helps to add a little something for counterbalance.
    IMG_20210114_191426 (Medium).jpg

Fingers, Elcohaulic, blowby and 4 others like this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

I added angle iron bracketry to the back of my cherry picker to hold concrete blocks 2 wide and of course if more than two are needed I can stack them. I'd be a bit leery of just a small strap holding that weight and my feet back there if the strap broke. Those main cap bolts would easily stab through a foot

loudbang likes this.
  5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow, I guess the non-hand washing could even lead to the spread of diseases and viruses by others of the same frame of mind...

6. Sheesh, there's some wussies here... What would you do if on a remote construction site and the only 'sanitary facilities' are the roll of TP that you brought with you? You did bring one, right? LOLOL....

7. The ramps were between the main post and braces and the block was sitting flat on the section of truck frame (yellow arrow) that holds the caster; the strap really wasn't holding any weight. The OT thing my kid was lifting was heavier than the old coupe body we used the cherry picker on in this picture.
    body lift (Medium) - Copy_LI.jpg

8. I may have posted this somewhere before, I am too old to remember. Most of you probably already do this but for someone just starting to mess with stuff this is a way for easier cleanups; When I use a drillpress or cut something on a lathe, I usually clean up the chips with a magnet. If you cover the magnet with a cloth first, its easy to just remove the cloth, shake out the chips and move on....magnet is clean, drill press is clean, easy peasy.

9. atch

atch

You can do the very same thing by using one of those throw-away containers from the grocery store. The ones that potato salad or ham or turkey or etc., comes in.

I'm fortunate enough to have one of those manufactured magnets inside a plastic housing. It has a long handle with a release ring at the end. I don't remember where it came from; probably HF, but it works astoundingly well. I can pick up shavings from the floor without bending over.

EDIT: it must have come from HF 'cause it looks just like this one that I found on their website. Maybe the very best thing I've ever bought there. image_15148.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    RICH B, drdave, seb fontana and 3 others like this.
  10. phat rat

phat rat

I'm on my second magnetic sweeper. Their great for sweeping where you might have some metal on the floor or drive. Also for finding that small screw the old eyes just can't see. This is the latest one.

Attached Files:

11. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

They also work well in the grass and dirt for us shade tree mechanics!

brEad, loudbang, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a metal detector but it goes off about every 3 inches!

Jet96, loudbang, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I say "thank you!" to the God of lost parts and tools every time I find something.

14. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I have used my detector to find stuff away from my shop. And, after running the bar magnet over the ground I have followed up with my detector to find non-magnetic metal like brass. On a side note I metal detect at least once a week and more often if given the opportunity.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Don't use a metal detector when wearing steel toe safety shoes!

Jokester, Jet96, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  16. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

:D

loudbang likes this.
  17. phat rat

phat rat

Yea I have an area of crushed asphalt that I work in sometimes. It works great there also

loudbang likes this.
  18. fordor41

fordor41

have a dent in a panel and don't have a stud gun? tack weld finishing nails to the dent, rig up small vise-grip pliers with a rod and weight and pull the dent out

drdave, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  19. I bought a cheap dual line, self leveling laser for a house project, turns out it's pretty handy in the shop. IMG_0420.jpg .

20. A Boner

A Boner

Loose head on hammer...soak wood with auto-transmission fluid! Water evaporates too quick...AT fluid, not so much.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    loudbang, blowby and ekimneirbo like this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

When my kids borrow a tool, I take a cell phone photo of them holding the tool!

22. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Cut a corner off a plastic tray. Fish out what ya need, pour the rest back in the bin. 20210210_135926.jpg

24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Down load a free metal detector app on your phone. Works good if you drop something in the grass or gravel. That way it's usually always around if you need it.

25. phat rat

phat rat

Heck I have enough trouble just using a dang cell ph. I'm sure not going to download a bunch of apps I never be able to find, let alone figure how to use. LOL

LWEL9226 and loudbang like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

When polishing stainless steel bolts, chuck the bolts into a drill. You can just hold the bolt in the chuck, or spin it slow or faster as needed. But the main reason though, it prevents burning your fingers as the bolt heats up from the friction while polishing!

drdave, Six Ball, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

If you have some super grungy (non-clear coated) aluminum wheels, use a S.O.S. pad and a little water to polish them. It’s surprising how shiny they will get. Using a rag and some mag wheel polish will make them another step shinier.

28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I hear ya. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  29. fordor41

fordor41

now I see eastwood sells the exact same thing!

loudbang likes this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I sand the grip rings off my volt meter probes so they aren't constantly getting snagged on the wiring I'm testing. 20210227_152048_resized.jpg

Jokester, indyjps, Six Ball and 8 others like this.