Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not all Hambers are nice people.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink56, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’d say you are lucky…Good luck with your search…

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Before the written word was the spoken word and that was your bond. The same thing happened to me and after a month of torturing myself and telling everybody that would and wouldn't listen to my story I finally let it go and resolved to be a better man. It's a work in progress.

adam401, yblock57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m too chicken to buy anything without sitting in the seat. Kind of a doubting Thomas kind of a thing.

4. Ziggster

Ziggster

Hate to say it, but this is “normal” behaviour. This past year both my girls had appointments to check out horses and on the way out to see the horses (in one case several hour drive) were told the horse had been sold. WTF? In the end, they both found other horses and are happy with them. Usually a deposit puts an end to such shenanigans. Good luck in your search.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing in your entire scenario that could be done is to ban them. Who would enforce all that other crap you mentioned, the HAMB police force?

coast40, clem, 5window and 4 others like this.
  6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I'm with you, I'm still a handshake guy, and my word is my word. With the world changing around us by the hour,
    I tell people that I AM tolerant...but you still can't make me like you!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well theres a lot to selling on the net! Just today I had two guys wanting to look at a truck! One guy two hours away one guy twenty minutes away!All happened in ten minutes! The two hour guy called early and said he might come, I told him to call when he left! The twenty minute guy was an his way to look at the truck when the two hour guy called again.So I call the two hour guy and told him a guy was looking at it. Two hour guy said he would take it! I said with out looking at it! Yea!Kinda! Well!
    So I just let it ride! Didn’t know what to do! Twenty minute guy says he has cash in hand and wanted it! Shit! What to do! By end of day, neither bought the truck!Twenty minute man buys my crane, that wasn’t advertised to sell! o_O
    I try to stand by my word, but just not sure what was really right there!
    There’s that.
    And since he has listed it three times, it sounds like , maybe , he just got cold feet, three times and chickened out, three times! Maybe?

Bones

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have heard a few comments of the HAMB recently , about car purchasing . The first was beat down a guy on price if he is in a tight spot to benefit yourself , now this . This is not the true HAMB member and Hot Rodder “ colors “ showing through . A wise man always told me education is extremely expensive . In this case it was time , to hell with this guy and his car . I just can not deal with people like this , I DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS of this type . Please don’t feel we are all bad . This is a great hobby and the HAMB is full of good honest Americans . You just found a sour ass apple in the basket .

9. A car isn’t sold until it is paid for in full.

If you had paid for it in full - then the guy
    changed his mind about selling it - you would have a reason to start a thread.

Is that what happened ?

Jim

49ratfink, low down A, kjmmm and 3 others like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back in '77 I made a deal on a 33 -5w coupe, I had the trailer hooked up, and got a call, "the Wife won't let me sell it". A month later he called me back and agreed to the same deal, and I said, "what about the Wife" ? He said "she says she is leaving, if I sell it", come and get it , we will see ! Sure enough, she divorced him. When I bought my 50 Olds in 84, it was nearly the same exact circumstance, only, she was just dismayed that he sold it. How could that happen two times, CRAZY ! BTW, the 33 was $1500. and the Olds was $800.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^My wife and I came to an "arrangement", even before we were married, that she would't "fuss" about my hobby, the things I drug home, and the money I spent, THEN, whenever I sold anything, SHE got the proceeds. She has made out really well a couple of times, like when I sold the 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe (It was really hard handing over that pile of cash), and recently, when I sold a BUNCH of engine parts.She's lived up to her word, and I've lived up to mine^^^^. Neither one of us is going anywhere, especially to a divorce attorney. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Bob Lowry, nochop, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can appreciate your disappointment. I am a black and white kind of guy. Your word and or hand shake ,I take personally to mean you are an honorable person . If not , well sail on down the river and lose my name and number. I have dealt with this particular hamber as he has bought parts off me in the past .We had communicated easily (even after the sale )and in each instance he paid me the way I requested and paid promptly . My experience was opposite of yours and I never had the feeling that he wasn’t anything but a good hamber.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  13. Pleased to say I personally think there are plenty of great people on this site and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the great gestures I’ve been offered over the years.
    1 or 2 sketchy deals experienced but lots of great deals done.
    Good and Bad everywhere nowadays, more good though is my experience.

-Brent- and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. spanners

spanners

Once about ten years ago I checked out a potential project while visiting my daughter 8 1/2 hours drive away. Agreed on a price but didn't put a deposit on it because I didn't trust the bloke to honour it. As it turned out I was right. A month later I contacted him and agreed on a weekend to pick it up. Towed a car trailer the 8 1/2 hours there only for him to say the price was only for the bare shell, not the entire vehicle. If I wanted the whole lot the price was double. I called him a few choice names and told him to jamb the car up his arse and left empty handed.
    Two years ago when I advertised my classic Holden Ute for sale I had a bloke in the next state ring me about it. After talking with him and sending him more detailed photos by 'phone, he said he'd buy it 'unseen'. I told him to hang up, make a cup of coffee and ring me back in 30 minutes. He was scared I would sell it to someone else during that 30 mins but I gave him my word that wouldn't happen. 29 1/2 minutes later he rang back and I had the full price in my bank account.
    The difference was I stick by my word.

15. I would contact Ryan and put him on a restricted "beware" list...

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  16. phat rat

phat rat

I'm in the "no money in hand it isn't sold" camp. If you want something at least put a deposit on it. I'm still waiting for a guy who in 92 was just going to his bank for the cash and would be right back. I don't know how far away that bank is but after 28 1/2 years it must be a hell of a long ways away.

coast40, clem, Bob Lowry and 8 others like this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Maybe the "HAMBER" will chime in.

5window, VANDENPLAS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. toml24

toml24

I'm having a very serious problem with a certain well known automotive publication that has a Holiday Catalog with many items, including my Jalopy Book. Their invoice for me is approaching 3-months and they are not responding to emails. I'm biting my tongue to the bone. If they don't do something soon I'll start naming names and I may just get a little mad.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Like the old bottles before the mandatory deposit laws, says right on 'em, "no deposit, no return". Only once did I get a deposit and the buyer didn't return, that was only a $10.00 deposit- weird deal...

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. The age we're living in thing holds water, but only cause' it's made us all more cynical, more cautious in some cases, perhaps with good reason. The buyer gets burned, from his perspective. The seller may be a jerk, a bad guy. or maybe edgy about selling in a deal that doesn't involve familiarity with any of the parties involved. our times and our conduct placed us here. This forum has similar tales of woe going back as far as anybody's been here. The fact doesn't make it right, somebody is always gonna end up feeling fucked over, yanked around, whatever. There isn't any fixing it from my view.....transactions that used to be binding with a handshake are now a crapshoot. Fixes for this are seemingly obvious....all the moral platitudes have been offered up, but, in the end, ya throw down some cash and ya takes yer chances. you cover the bases , cover your ass and hope for the best.

21. alchemy

alchemy

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

23. alchemy

alchemy

Blessing in disguise then. Ugly car.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree 100%

25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

you did good gettin screwed in this case.

31hotrodguy, yblock57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. ratfink56

ratfink56

The car did need some changes and my budget can't keep up with my taste. Guy never asked for a deposit and was comfortable getting paypal when the transport arrived. I am very lad I never sent this flake a penny. Fairly certain it would have taken an act of God to get it back.

27. I don’t see where trashing someone’s posting for a car being sold here is in anyone’s interest.

Folks should use the features available here
    to check our fellow members:

The OP:

BF56867A-7E99-4866-8DC7-8D81D2DDB2D4.jpeg

The Seller ?

69C0E704-C7E7-4AC2-8972-59C049CCB9FA.jpeg

Jim

28. Just To Clarify .....

You paid no deposit to hold this car ?

You expected the Seller to hold the car
    and take it off the market for you until
    “ the transport arrived “ ?

Then you have no business posting this
    thread and bitching about a car deal
    that you didn’t commit to ....

Jim

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  29. Probably shouldn’t but I’m gonna play devils advocate here....how did he get screwed? No money changed hands, the guy decided not to sell him his car. Last time I checked that’s up to him. Again we have one side and everyone has decided to ban the seller, put him on a watch list and made him a crook.

Oh and now we have added insulting the guys car...real stand up crowd to be judging others...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

When I have something for sale I never remove a listing, consider the item sold until I have the full amount of money in hand and if paid with a check the check cashed and money in hand. I also don’t consider something sold unless I have a non refundable deposit in hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.