Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Fleetleader frame issue

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Schnitz, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Schnitz

Schnitz

Just getting started on this project. First issue is the frame is separating. Can't find a donor frame in my area.
    Only 2 options I can think of is swapping the frame for something more readily available such as an S10 or other frame or building a new frame from scratch.
    I don't believe it's repairable but if you guys know otherwise please share your suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Photos don't display. S10 or other swaps aren't discussed.

X38 and warhorseracing like this.
  3. S10 frame won’t work, most other frame swaps put the wheels in stupid spots and limit steering and look ...... well..... stupid.

when you say separate go what do you mean?
    Is it a top hat frame like Chevy ?

your pics didn’t load .

it’s a frame ! You can cut and paste as much as you want to correct it.

it’s steel not flesh, if you screw or up start over, or find a doner

But first get your pics working so we can see what you see.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

It's a 1951 Pontiac..... Canadian Fleetleader.

5. Then it’s a top hat frame like a Chevy, Canadian poncho was just a reskined Chevy

Opens options for parts cars n finding a frame.

Post pics !

warhorseracing and mgtstumpy like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2021-2-4_13-7-35.png

[​IMG]

upload_2021-2-4_13-18-9.png
    A top hat style frame on face value wouldn't be that hard to repair depending on what you class as 'Separating'. It's a very basic frame unlike a full frame with open 'C' channel as in Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs. Or as suggested, a simple frame swap may be in order?
    upload_2021-2-4_13-20-26.png

7. Schnitz

Schnitz

I don't know why my pics aren't loading because they're in my album.

And I've searched high and low around here with no luck on a frame - Chevy or otherwise

8. let's see the problem with your frame ...pics

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

According to my book, "Canadian Cars, 1946-1984" by Perry Zavitz, the Fleetleader is the Canadian, Chevy based car. A frame from either the Chev or Pontiac should work. Post pictures of the problem areas of your frame. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. Schnitz

Schnitz

Hah! Finally got the pics to load.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks repairable however time is money. Do it once do it right. Either way the body needs to come off frame for repair or replacement. There's time involved wither way, rolling a better frame under your body would be quicker and more time efficient.

12. alchemy

alchemy

That frame is toast. Once you sandblast the outside you will have more holes than steel left, and you still haven't removed the corrosion from the inside.

The key to fixing old cars is having lots of friends. Get the word out for what you are looking for. You need to let everybody you can do some networking for you.

Unless you are an experienced fabricator, a swap from a different model car is not a good answer. You will spend more time modifying everything to fit than you would making calls to find a direct fit frame.

You might make some calls to the US looking for shops that are doing frame replacements with pro-touring style full IFS frames. They'd probably be giving the old stock frame away for the hauling.

anothercarguy likes this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

It looks like repair work has already been attempted on that frame. I would agree that it needs replacement. There should be frames available somewhere as Chevy is the same. All body styles used the same frame as well, except conv. I believe. I know the local pic a part has some Chevy's in it, but I never looked at any frames on them.

14. Schnitz

Schnitz

Thank you gentlemen! I actually JUST found a '53 frame. Gonna pick it up tomorrow and make it work.