Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mystery bucket seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinny harms, Feb 9, 2021.

1. vinny harms

vinny harms

Can anyone find out what these bucket seats are in mox Miller's 58 impala. Tried SS models and galaxies all came with an single chrome strip not entire back of the seat Screenshot_20210208-212034_YouTube.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S111DL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. After looking at the video of the car, he said it is the same as it was in 1962 so it must be 62 or earlier seats. Chromed backrests...I have no idea.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  3. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Mox Miller famously chromed most of his 1958 Impala, I don't think it's ever been run under it's own power. He probably had the seat backs chromed as well-

4. vinny harms

vinny harms

Nope single striped 126513.jpeg

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mox Millers car was built in 62 and has been unchanged since. the seats have to be 62 or older.

X38 likes this.
  6. vinny harms

vinny harms

62 ss had single stripe too but if you look closely at the bucket seat in the video they look 2 peice maybe 1962-Chevrolet-Impala-SS-Convertible-Interior.jpeg

7. vinny harms

vinny harms

8. I remember those '67 Ford steering wheels that defeated the purpose of a dished wheel (introduced as a safety feature in '56) with that horn button/center that was designed to crack your sternum in an accident.

9. Rik Hoving's site pic'.

Screenshot_20210209-091451_Chrome.jpg

10. vinny harms

vinny harms

Putting this thread to good use cause when I get my license first car I'm looking for is a 54 chevy and after I graduate im making it a 60s show car with these seats and full blown kustom interior and paint

sawbuck likes this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

It's not impossible to think that the seat backs were fabricated from scratch and then chromed. The seat backs may not be a factory part. Being that they're totally flat with just a 90 degree lip around the outer edge, it's very possible. I don't know that for sure, but it's a possible theory.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the clue to what they are may be in the t shaped handle on the seat adjuster, the 62 Impala seats have those t handles and as @Squablow said above that could be a fabricated flat panel held on but the factory "band"

62seat.jpg

13. vinny harms

vinny harms

That's where the mystery comes in. In the vehicle description and interviews the car is 100% stock besides mags

14. vinny harms

vinny harms

But if it is then why not fabricate a back cover and chrome it also

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think they are saying the body is stock. the interior is obviously modified

vinny harms likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

The seam where the chrome band joins is the same on the '62 Impala and the '58 show car as well, just below the upper trim screw. Also note that the upholstery is very wrinkled on the inner seat bolster on the passenger side of the '58. The chrome covers may have been made to cover a tricky area to put custom upholstery on. Might have been easier just to make a pan than to try and roll/pleat the back of the seat, looks like they may have had trouble covering those seats cleanly.

Wouldn't be hard to make, cut out a wooden pattern of the shape of the back of the seat, make two pieces and cut out a sheet of steel in the same shape but with some overhang, clamp the sheet between the two pieces of wood and very slowly hammerform the edge over, following the wood template. Once it's smooth the chrome shop could finish off the edges and would have fresh new steel in the center to put chrome on. Back when chrome was cheap, it could have been an easier way to get the seat backs looking nice.

vinny harms and Moriarity like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Those are factory GM bucket seats. Chevy, Olds, Pontiac and yes, Corvair. The original covers were more than likely redesigned. Thus, the wrinkles.

egads and vinny harms like this.