Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940s Ford Steel Rims

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RobG, Feb 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RobG

RobG
    from WA

I apologize if this has already been answered but I couldn’t find the answers:

A couple of questions regarding Ford 16”x4” 5 on 5.5” steel rims from the early ’40s:

What is the size of the hub opening (center bore)?
    What is the rim offset?

I'm hoping these specs are fairly consistent and that I’m not opening a can of worms.

Thanks!

2. With a 4" rim there won't be much of an offset.

RobG likes this.
  3. And the centre hole is the same as all 5 on 5 1/2 bolt centre wheels on cars up to 48 and 1/2 ton Ford pickups to about mid 60's.
    "I think."

tdog, RobG and stillrunners like this.
  4. RobG

RobG
    from WA

Thanks guys.

I've spent a lot of time searching and while I’ve learned a lot I haven’t found a definitive answer to the center bore size. I found an aftermarket ‘40 Ford hub that has a center bore of 3.25” and a set of aftermarket rims I bought had a center bore of 3.75”. So I’m inclined to think that 3.25” is correct. I need 4” so I don’t think ‘40 rims will work for me. Oh well ...

5. Smaller than a Jeep !!! That might be your answer but not sure if I have a stock one around. What axel/hub are you working with - pictures help !

RobG likes this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Rob, the folks on Fordbarn will know the answers.

RobG likes this.
  7. RobG

RobG
    from WA

They are rims from a ‘51 Indian 3-wheeler (see motorcycle discussion group). They were probably catalog/off-the-shelf at the time. The axles/hubs were custom machined to match. I tried rims from Summit Racing - Deuce 16x4.5 and 5 on 5/5.5 but the center bore was too small (3.75”). The original rims appear to be irreplaceable so I want to get rims to use for daily use. I did see that some older Jeep CJ rims were of similar size but was following thru on the Ford rims. Size matters because they need to fit under the cargo box.

FC3F70F9-6C2B-4F31-B556-93865477B404.jpeg

8. RobG

RobG
    from WA

Thanks! I’ll check with Fordbarn.

Rob

9. 97

If this is one of the six 51 Indian's built with sport scout engine, maybe it is the same from seat post back as the the 1952 500CC Warrior motor based patrol three wheeler , in which case , the differential is from a Crosley, rear brakes are from Studebaker Champion, so one would assume the wheels probably came from one or the other!

RobG likes this.
  10. brading

brading

If the centre hole in your 3.75" rims are just a plain hole as per picture post #7 is there any reason why the centre hole could not be bored to 4".

RobG and Hnstray like this.
  11. RobG

RobG
    from WA

It is! I think the count is up to approx 10 Dispatch Tows and 10 Patrols discovered so far. I knew about the Crosley rear end but not about the wheels and brakes. I’ll ask one of the Patrol owners. There’s at least one of these DTs down in Australia (converted to 2 wheels). Are you into Indians as well?

12. RobG

RobG
    from WA

I thought about that. Then I tried to find a machinist. The custom wheel shops didn’t have the equipment nor could I find a machinist on Craigslist. So I thought it would be less expensive and easier to find wheels from the past. (I also thought about looking for a compact spare but couldn’t find a size cross reference).

What would be the correct tool? Mill or large lathe or ...

Thx!

13. brading

brading

I would try the local engineering and rod shops in your area. If they could not do it there is a good chance they would know someone that could.

RobG likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One that will swing 18", like this. IMG_2958.JPG

RobG and Hnstray like this.
  15. 97

Yeah , I have a few Indians , (had a lot more) , but no three wheelers. My information came from a discussion during a visit with Bob Stark, but that was over 20 years ago. 1994 if memory serves me. I made assumptions on the wheels but I am incorrect , Studebaker uses 5 on 4.5 and Crossley has 4 studs according to today's research.
    Here is a list of vehicles which use 5 on 5.5.... probably all too wide, BUT if you look around you might find some of them have narrow space saver rims with the correct stud pattern. Early Jeeps had 5 on 5.5 with a big center hole so the Jeep, Lada and jappa Jeep copies might be promising .
    https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x139.7

If you have the original rims , what makes you think they will fail in daily use?

RobG likes this.
  16. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

RobG likes this.
  17. RobG

RobG
    from WA

I just heard back from the guy that owns a couple of Patrols. They do use Studebaker brakes but use Crosley 12” wheels. They are very cool bikes - shaft drive with reverse. But my wife tells me that I have enough toys.

I am almost OCD about having or identifying a source of spares for all of the hard to find parts. And I’m retired so I have time to be OCD.

I met a few Australians at Davenport when I’d go there with my father (1995-2014). Jim Parker would often be there. Very nice folks. Seems like they have bikes mostly of WW I and WW II eras. Don’t remember meeting New Zealanders but it’s been a long time and my father was the social one. Are you still able to get over here for the shows? Before the pandemic?

Thanks for the rim information. It’ll give me something to keep me out of trouble.

Do you have pics of your treasures?

Rob

18. RobG

RobG
    from WA

Very cool! I have an old small Atlas but it wouldn’t do the job. In the old days, pre virus, I’d just drive around visiting shops but that’s not as easy now.

Thanks for the pic.
    Rob

19. RobG

RobG
    from WA

20. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

RobG likes this.
  21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Steel wheels typically have a little raised lip on the metal at the center hole, so if they are bored out this will be removed.

If you do bore them, it is probably more important to be concentric to the bolt pattern that to the OD.

HemiDeuce and RobG like this.
  22. brading

brading

Rather than driving around contact companies on the phone and send a copy of the picture so they understand what you want done.

RobG likes this.
  23. Lots of farm implements use wheels with 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I have only seen them in 14, 15, 16 inch sizes. I also have some I believe are studebaker, they might be artillery wheels, jeep has already been mentioned.

RobG likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

can it be larger than 4 inch? my boat trailer has wheel vintiques chrome OE wheels 15x5 and the center hole is 4.250. they probably make them that way to please the 4x4 jeep guys. I have a 40 ford wheel and measured it at about 3.5 inches.

here is a link to summits offering of 15x5 wheel vintiques chrome wheels. (I think they make em painted too )

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-64-555503 wheel1.JPG wheel2.jpg wheel3.JPG

RobG, Jim Bouchard and olscrounger like this.
  25. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've got a pair of those wheels on the back of the 33 as rollers 20210208_170529.jpg

RobG likes this.
  26. RobG

RobG
    from WA

Those really look like my rims! Do you know the center hole size? Do you know where they came from?

27. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

They were on an old trailer.i got em about 15 years ago.the center hole is 4" or a hare bigger

RobG likes this.
  28. RobG

RobG
    from WA

That’s amazing. Confirming that they are 16”x4” 5 on 5.5”, please let me know if you decide to sell them.

29. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I'd let em go. definitely 5x5.5. ill measure the width for sure tomorrow but pretty sure they are 4" wide.

RobG likes this.
  30. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Early 4WD Suzuki wheels have a 5x5-1/2" bolt circle and a largish centre bore.
    WW2 Jeep wheels must be close too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    RobG likes this.