Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Has anyone here ran a quick change rear end out of a race car in a street car? I know the quick change gears are cut straight and would probably make noise. But, how much? It would be a great addition , being able to change ratios, in ten minutes. I’m sure it’s been done, just wondering about the noise. Thanks,

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

The noise isn't too much. Not louder than the exhaust on a hot rod.

I rode in the rumbleseat of an A coupe with a quickchange for over 60 miles once. I still have good hearing.

3. Some gear sets are louder then other. There are cut helical cut gears that aren't as loud.

Un cork the headers and you won't even hear the gears wine.

upload_2021-2-8_12-23-40.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I love the title of this thread, very clever!

fauj, The37Kid, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have an old Frankland QC out of my old racecar in my '27 roadster. Some gear sets make less noise than others. I have a lot of gear sets from racing. The 3.55 that is in it now hardly makes any noise. At least that you can hear over the engine. The 5.23 that I put in it for the eight mile drags screams like a Banshee. The noise doesn't seem to depend on the gear ratio either. I have several different brands too. They all make a different noise. Probably the cut on the gears.
    Those angle cut gears put stress on the rear cover that I don't like anyway.
    Let that QC whine! I like it! That whine only bothers me when it's coming from a rear end that ain't supposed to do that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. Pretty much all of them up until the last few years

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I would think the live axle shafts/ bird cages/ brakes/ suspension would be more of what I’d be worrying about using a race car quick change.

most quick changes you see/ hear under a hotrod do have straight gears in them

Boneyard51 and Atwater Mike like this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Sprint cars and midgets use live axle QCs with birdcages, etc. Most hot rods are not live axle. Mine is not. It's out of a late model dirt car.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While most quick changes do have the bird cages, that is easily overcome by removing them and welding a perch for leaf springs or welding brackets for coil springs.
    In the class we race, B-mod, you have to weld the bird cages solid. But removal would be the best for a street rod. Our QCs already have disc brakes and a five on five bolt pattern, and are usually narrow, what’s not to like there?

Bones

GlassThamesDoug and mad mikey like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like that! Get the angle cut for street gears and the straight cut for the drag strip! Wow! Why don’t we see more cars with quick change rear ends? Best of both worlds!

Bones

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I drove my 27 hiboy with Halibrand V8!quick change on the road and street. Always used straight cut gears. Drove from north Alabama to Lincoln Nebraska on the 95 America cruise. Never had a problem. My 32 has a winters V8 with straight cut gears and I have another for my 35 pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have quick changes in two of my drivers and the noise is definitely a love it or hate it thing. Some rears are louder than others and some sets of gears can be louder than others in the same rear end. The short answer is yes, you can use a race car quick change in your street car, but it is a good idea to arm yourself with knowledge from the HAMB search button first.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Never had much luck with that search button, always just shows” nothing” even if I know something is there!

Bones

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to see how a spring perch welded onto a live axle works!

16. How do you search? I can find almost anything I am looking for. you can also search on Google and just add /hamb at the end and it will search here.

squirrel and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. You guys realize most oval track race cars run Quick Changes with axle tubes and sprints and midgets are "odd balls" with live axles.

Dirt Late Models, IMCA Modified, NASCAR Modified, Asphalt Late Models, North East (Center Steer)Modifieds, northeast ProStock cars etc... all use Quick Changes with axle tubes and double spline floater axles.

upload_2021-2-8_17-19-54.png

thintin, GlassThamesDoug, RJP and 2 others like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I just hit that little magnifying glass. The type the key word I need to find and then hit go. Sometimes it comes up with some of what I need to find, most of the time, not!

Bones

19. You can use the plus sign + between word to link them in your search. Like this, wiring+battery It ties the words together and makes a more precise search. If you know who posted it you can add their username in the next cell down. I even do this to sometimes dig up something I posted like search "touring" and "Tman" since I built a touring and posted most of it on here.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Now that's (in red above) funny ! Uncork the heads...

This has been talked about in the fairly recent past.
    Here's my 54 Stude Conestoga (wagon). A street car, straight cut gears. Yea, can get a little loud. That's ok.

upload_2021-2-8_15-16-23.png

Mike

stillrunners and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess I just do it wrong! It really gets frustrating! I have never heard of the plus deal! Everyone was telling me to put “” around words to search for those words used together. Not pluses! I never get the memo! Lol.
    I try a search and if it doesn’t come up quick, I post.
    Thanks for the tip!

Bones

Tman likes this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you wanted a silent QC you could make one with a Morse chain drive instead of gears. But you would have to switch the crown gear to the other side.

23. Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Tman, GlassThamesDoug and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many quick changes have fixed axel tubes, sprung suspensions Late Models, limited late models, You can change them to many different tubes made of steel, or alum, weld, or bolt on. Many hubs, bolt patterns..

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You actually weld the perch to the live axle housing, not the axle itself. The live axle, just indicates it does not carry the weight of the car, kinda like full floating 3/4 ton axle.

Bones

26. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

No. Look at a sprint car rear end. It has no fixed axle tubes. The whole axle turns, exposed. The bird cages are needed because the whole thing is turning. It is one axle end to end, straight thru the center section.

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

59863BFA-53D3-4706-A65F-CF95DEA479C8.jpeg
    I guess I have never seen one of those, but I understand what you are describing. Obviously those would not work very good on a street car.
    The ones we use have housings and full floating hubs and use “ bird cages” to allow the axle housing to flex and turn a little. In our class we have to weld these items up. So.... it would be easy for one of these type rear ends to be adapted to a street car.

Bones

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In race car terminology, this is a "live Axle", like a racing Go-Kart. IMG_2574.JPG IMG_2582.JPG

pitman, Tman, jaracer and 1 other person like this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yes , I guess I was a little behind in terminology! I have seen some of those axles , but not familiar with them. Obviously the “ other” kind would be better for street cars. Just forgot about those axles for a while. We race cars that have the full housing.

Bones

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As far as the Championship units, the center section is the same, whether you use side-plates and a live axle, or housings. I have been told, you will certainly hear the spur gear noise, more in a closed car, than an open roadster. I am using the side-plate adapters, to fit V-8 housings to a Champ center. IMG_4690.JPG

Boneyard51 likes this.