Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My thoughts on a '50 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OZCAST, Oct 12, 2020.

1. OZCAST

OZCAST

I have a 50, stock straight 8
    I also have a '63 401 with factory dynaflow bolted up to it to build in the garage
    I originally was thinking of a TH400 and traditional driveline set up, but doing some research, I'm looking at way more work than I can do in the driveway, and have knowledge of doing. I can build motors, but real fabrication is out of my league.
    I'm thinking that ill put the 401 and dynaflow that comes with it in and see if someone can modify the driveline. I may need to find a '63 rear end?
    Thoughts on what makes the most sense? Not looking for a hot rod, just a cruzer that will do 65 on the freeway.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your plan but I'd put an open rear end in.. You'd be unhappy otherwise....

mgtstumpy and OZCAST like this.
  3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Which model 50 Buick? Special, Super, Roadmaster? Big 8 or small? Original engine and transmission bad? Those old Buicks were made to cruise at 65 all day long.

Does anyone know if the Roadmaster with 320 ci 8 has a stronger rear axle than the Special with 248 ci 8? If it does and you have a RM, the original driveline may holdup behind a 401.

4. OZCAST

OZCAST

Its a super. 320 straight 8. Tranny and rear end are new. Motor runs good, but is a little tired. It really doesn't like to go past 50mph. The swap is a future project. Most likely next summer. I'm just trying to get a solid plan and map it out. This is my first buick and I'm a bit perplexed. I've always had fords.

5. Super was a 263. You need to fab engine mounts, trans mounts, parallel leafs (easiest to do) and find a rear to weld in. I had one also, early on and decided it was too much for me to do. The upper control arms are your friction shocks also.

Might think about rebuilding the 8 with some more pep.

EVL401, gggholson and OZCAST like this.
  6. I do believe they all used the same rear (with different gear ratios). 248, 263, 320

OZCAST likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '50 Special fastback 2 door (with a straight stick). It was a great highway cruiser.

OZCAST likes this.
  8. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

The dynaslow is the weak link. The 3 speed std. was a good combo. The straight eight was one good engine.

EVL401 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. OZCAST

OZCAST

All those mods even i keep the 63 dynaflow?

10. I would go with a sp400 or a th400 over the dynaflow. The other option is to get an adapter to a Chevy trans (manual or auto).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  11. I just purchased a 40 coupe and am faced with the same dilemma, go with a straight 8 or upgrade the drive line and a 401. I have neither engine currently.

12. I'm thinking that I'd love to know where you live, 'cause I'd love to talk with you about that Straight 8 you're ditching :D

13. v8flat44

v8flat44

I'm Dynaflo ignorant, but had a friend in the 60s with a 55 Buick Special 2 dr h/t with Dynaflo. It took a lick'n & kept on tick'n and would cruise all day @ 70 easily.....

14. The dynaflow is an odd trans and 50-57 or so every year they changed things and tried upgrading it.
    They like to leak also.

I had a 55 special with a leaky trans and 1 dead cylinder on the nailhead.

looked into swaps and a jaguar series 2 or 3 diff fits perfectly along with the front clip is an easy swap.
    After that any engine you choose will fit the engine bay.

not sure if the 50 is the same as my 55 but worth looking into.

I did not do the swap as up here Buick guys are kind of like vette guys and like things stock.
    The more you modify the more the car looses value and becomes harder to sell.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you want or end up doing.
    All Buick engines are great strong runners. And once they went to open drive the trannies got better.

bundstens? Bernstein’s ? Not sure but something like that makes adapters for the Buick engines to adapt to other trannies etc.

15. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I wouldn’t call the Dynaflow weak. It was designed to smoothly carry a large car with up to 6 adult passengers and a trunk large enough to haul all of their luggage. It’s not a good transmission for racing to the next traffic light though. It’s no better or worse than the other transmissions that have been suggested if your goal is to lower engine RPM’s at higher car speeds.

gggholson likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My dad has always been a Buick fanatic, since 1941 and his first fastback sedan. But, when he rolled up to our newish, old house in a 1949 big 4 door black Buick Roadmaster sedan, it was pretty impressive. It was his first real, new car. When the whole family sat inside, it had room, plenty of power and a nice ride anywhere he took us on various road trips. It just cruised…
    upload_2020-10-13_7-20-7.png
    Our dad never did a full acceleration power run with us inside, but he probably did on his daily drives to Los Angeles. The Dynaflow transmission was as smooth as silk. There was never a problem for my dad or us for 4 years of driving any of the Buick sedans with the Dynaflow transmissions. It was around every 4 years of driving his Buicks that prompted our dad to get a new Buick for the next 4 years.

When he drove it daily for 4.5 years, he purchased another Buick 4 door sedan. They each had around 50k miles as a trade in model for the new Buick model. It too had a Dynaflow transmission. Finally, in 1957, he purchased his new Buick two door sedan. Now, we were able to drive it on gas station runs and short grocery store trips. We did like the horsepower and the smooth transmission. It had the power, but it was just a huge car that weighed almost 1500 lbs over my brother’s 58 Impala. So, those 300 hp motors had to work overtime to keep up or get ahead.
    Buick sedan

Jnaki

My brother and I did do several full acceleration runs on the Terminal Island Freeway near our house, just to see those 300 horses in a full blast mode. It moved, but not as fast as the Impala. But, at Lion’s Dragstrip, this similar dark blue 1957 Buick sedan did a number on a lot of Impalas and Fords. He was a seasoned veteran that was well known in the stock car racing circles. Of course, he was experienced and lightning quick off of the line. But, I did catch each car before the lights and won, each time.
    blue 57 Buick vs 58 Impala

EVL401, VANDENPLAS and OZCAST like this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I was in the situation you are with a new transmission and rear end, already bolted to a tired straight 8, I'd opt to sell the 401 and use those funds towards rebuilding the straight 8. Mainly because you mentioned not having good fab skills or a place to do so. It would be simpler to have the straight 8 rebuilt, and then it would be a reliable cruiser you could drive at speeds a bit over your 50 mph limit now.
    Of course if you had someone to help swap in the 401, and a TH400, or 700R4 trans, and a later rear axle, that would be my optimum choice. Which rear axle you choose depends on what's available, and whether you care about bolt patterns? I prefer the 8.8" Ford rear axles because of their strength, and availability for very cheap prices. I also prefer the 700R4 to th350 or th400 because for a cruiser they're much better at highway speeds, and will make your gas mileage on the highway much better. But all this requires fabrication. The driveway part is irrelevant in my opinion, as I've built plenty of cars in my driveways. If you want it bad enough you can build cars in your backyard on the grass.

osage orange, EVL401 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. OZCAST

OZCAST

For Sure! Im in Vancouver, WA

19. OZCAST

OZCAST

Thank you for the pics and family history! Thats way too cool

jnaki likes this.
  20. OZCAST

OZCAST

I think I'm gunna just bite the bullet. I got a 61" Ford 9" with 3:71 gears. I have a 401 Nailhead. There are companies that make the 4 link kit. I have a shop that will do the suspension fab and also put in motor mounts and a tranny mount. I'm sure I'm forgetting a TON of stuff, but at the end of the day, This will be the car I want. I don't need to win any races, I just want to be able to cruze to the beach on a summer night at 60mph. My wife has been waiting for 16 years to sit in one of the many projects I never got running. It's time.

Still may put a 4 speed in it. No idea what fits...that's a whole new day on the google, and not sure if that's a hole I really want to crawl down.

21. bummer- you're on the wrong end of the country :p

osage orange likes this.
  22. My '50, with straight eight, will do 80 [ and then some:)] all day. A lot cheaper and easier. First thing is install the rear end gears from a '54 or '55 . I used '55 3.36/1.

Ben

23. OZCAST

OZCAST

Thanks! I'll do that 1st. And drive it for a while.

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi OZCAST !
    If your -50 Buick is the one in your avatar its a -50 Buick Special which was the only model that had a center divider in the windshield (unless someone put a divided windshield in a Super) , -50 Buick Super and Roadmaster had one piece windshield , also -50 Buick Roadmaster was the only model that had the 320CI straight eight in 1950 Buick line up . This can easily be found out on the firewall tag , Special was Series 40 , Super series 50 and Roadmaster series 70 , Special and Super had three portholes on the hood and both Special and Super had the shorter block with different cubic inch , Roadmaster had four portholes on the hood and the longer 320CI straight eight . My best guess from your avatar is that your -50 Buick is a Special , looks like the short fourdoor body (the longer fourdoor body was only available in Super and Roadmaster) and no sidetrim which was the cheapest Special model , please post some more pictures of your car so we can figure the model !

Here is some pictures of my pieced together -50 Buick from a Special sedanette and a Roadmaster front end and
    frame !
    https://public.fotki.com/TinWolf/my-cars-/my-current-cars/1950-buick-roadmast/1950-buick-roadmaster/
    Best regards Wolf

OZCAST likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The ‘63 Buicks had the Triple Turbine Dynaflow which was the highest development of that transmission and was quite a good performer at that level. An ST400 or TH400 really will have little advantage over the ‘63 TT Dynaflow, especially for a ‘cruiser’ application. As I recall, Buicks were open driveline beginning with 1961 models.

Ray

26. NB

NB
    from Chicago

Old thread!

Did you get that car together? Not sure why to mess with the rear axle.

I have a 1950 Buick Special w Dynaflow, drives 60 all day long. has stick 3.6:1.

27. NB

NB
    from Chicago

So why not rebuild the engine if you say you know how to work with engines but not with fabbing?!?! Dicth the 401.

28. OZCAST

OZCAST

Ya, all together. Tons of work. 401, st400, 4 link and jag front end. Now in the process of making my 4 door into a 2 door jetback. Got a doner car earlier this year.

harpo1313 likes this.
  29. NB

NB
    from Chicago

Jetback is cool, and you just did my bone stock unrestored 1950 4 -door Special more valuable! Every time someone put a saw in one of these 72 year old originals one less is left. Everytime someone ditches a straight eight the ones running gets cooler.

Everyone does what they want luckily, but there is a lack of respect for the straight eights.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022