Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Capitol of the USA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctommy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I thought about posting some more on this thread today, but instead I went for a 50 mile drive in my 31 pickup...

2. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. partssaloon

partssaloon

Well, guess where I'm at. I've lived here since 1985. PM me if you have any questions.

mctommy likes this.
  4. partssaloon

partssaloon

5. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

I would say Austin since you are only going to rent. The area has gotten expensive to buy but you aren't buying so that isn't a problem and Florida in the future is going to have a problem with a bit of flooding along the coast

mctommy likes this.
  6. Funny, my wife and I are a few years from retiring but we ARE LOOKING FOR SNOWY places to spend out winters for the skiing!

chryslerfan55 and mctommy like this.
  7. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

8. 5window

5window

Maybe you guys should trade?

chryslerfan55, mctommy and Tman like this.
  9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Breckenridge, CO.....Copper Mountain, Ski Cooper, Keystone, Loveland Ski Area and Arapahoe Basin all within 25 mile radius, with Vail 38 miles on down the interstate. 80 miles to Denver for big city needs.:)

Guy Patterson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Got friends in Evergreen, Aspen and Boulder. Be down that way in a month!

chryslerfan55 and Joe Blow like this.
  11. A good reason to pick California for January would be the Grand National Roadster Show. One of the best weeks of hot rodding anywhere in the world.

Blues4U, mctommy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Unless they move the date to later in the year. I believe the plan for 2021 was for GNRS to be held in the spring, but it got cancelled completely due to covid. What's the plan going forward?

13. 5window

5window

Not the right weather and not the right health situation, but the capital of the old car universe and chocolate is Hershey, PA. The problem with So-cal isn't the hot rods, it's everything else! And there is a lot of Everything Else. The problem with Florida, besides being a viral epicenter, is a LOT of Old People. And I am an Old Person, but not in Florida.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just another day in paradise..... ;)

I needed to go get some dog food today, so of course I took the pickup, that's what it's for!

Just some good natured ribbing you guys, take care!

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Side note - at one time when car magazine subscriptions were still going strong - Desmoines, Iowa had more car magazine subscriptions per capita than anywhere else in the country.

Joel W, chryslerfan55, Tman and 2 others like this.
  16. I live in Austin, and it has been turned into a s#/+hole. Not that much of a hot rod culture at all. The homeless have overtaken the city due to mayor Adler and the city council's policies. Google it. It makes me sick. If I could afford it, I would leave...

17. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Hahaha, what a great video! I will send one soon, need breakfast first

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  18. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Got my video but its too large, working on gettin it smaller

19. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Very nice. We have about a foot of snow around here our at the moment the Deuces are stuck in the garage until maybe April. But heck its our annual rebuild season this time of year anyway. :p

chryslerfan55, mctommy and Blues4U like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

“Living in the USA” sounds great, politics aside. The weather is always nice on the coast as the ocean has a great influence on how much moisture we get and it is usually not as much as other places. But, the ocean also creates situations that need to be addressed. On the East Coast, especially Florida, hurricane season is a standard weather effect. One must be prepared for those guaranteed annual events. Same with the Gulf Coast. Living isn’t always as nice as the photos of sunsets, beaches, blue water, etc. on any coast.

But, one thing So Cal does not have is the high humidity like the Gulf Coast or the Atlantic side of Florida. Our vacations in Florida were nice, but, the heat and humidity was not the best of situations. The area was new, we liked the coastal area on the East Coast, but it just was not the Pacific Ocean for clarity, being always blue and cool temperatures.

Hot rods aside, there are always hot rods wherever anyone goes. In So Cal, San Diego area is one of our favorites. There are plenty of hot rods, history from the early days and you have one of the best bays, plus access to the ocean, on the whole coast. As far as drag racing, there is an active dragstrip (1/8th mile) nearby. So Cal is inundated with Harleys, that is for sure.

From the odd guys with handlebars so high steering safely is out of the question, to the high dollar doctors and lawyers with tattoos and vests riding their full fender hogs. So, the variety is there for the enjoyment. Plus, as you know, Ocean Beach is a cool place to be in any weather. Great location, good food, close to the bay, close to downtown and even to the border if that is your thing.

For us, being long time So Cal residents, the cost of living is just like anywhere else, if your eyes are absorbing everything you think you want. But, there are and have been people living their whole lives in coastal So Cal as well as hundreds of inland locations enjoying all that California has to offer. It is the dry climate and location that attracts people to So Cal.

But, for everyone else located elsewhere, California is a target to criticize and laugh at due to a variety of reasons. That is unfortunate, but we all have experienced road trips to other parts of the country and it is always nice to roll into our own home and close the garage door. But, the location and lifestyle is what you make of it, not due to other’s ideas of what it is to them.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-2-7_4-49-46.png
    We have been in various So Cal locations since 1946 and it just was not how others saw So Cal as a bastion of weirdos and expensive prices for everything. Although we don’t go to movies any more, but $30.00 for entry to a large screen movie is over the top. That was something to consider, but there are always alternatives for our movie watching sessions. It was not that important. There are other things that make life good, it is a great place to raise our small families, in education and future lives, somewhere down the line.

Overall, if I were looking at Florida or So Cal, there is no question that So Cal would be the place where I/we would live. One thing to keep in mind on any coast, living on the sand and water’s shoreline is not that great in any location. Sure, the endless views of the ocean are right at your doorstep, but at night, it is a pitch black window facing the ocean. Possibly a bobbing light could be seen far away, but it is absolutely dark and nothing to see. It is not a 100% … “wow, look at that view…” situation. YRMV
    upload_2021-2-7_4-51-8.png
    It is, what it is and what YOU make of it. Not how others see it from a situation or two in the past. Again, it is what you make of any location and So Cal is no different. But, it just happens to be central in good weather, good ocean influence, good education and possible future for our kids and grand kids. IOHO

21. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy retired and moved to Lake Havasu a few years back. He likes the weather and the car scene there. But he moved an hour north to Kingman last year because Lake Havasu was so much more expensive.

22. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Thanks for good reading. SoCal is absolutely my number one so far, but i have listened well to other opinions and areas in AZ and gulfcoast FL are also interesting. When traveling will be possible and safe i think my first winter session will take place in OB or PB and the next years try some of the other places. Lake Havasu i will check out while in SoCal.

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  23. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Corncobcoupe when I first read that I said whaaattt! But I guess it could be so! Anything is better than the minus 20F. this morning.

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

After 20 years in CA I’m going to say Florida, still a lot going on but it’s not like it once was lot of companies moving or moved East , seems A lot of younger generation East still into cars

mctommy likes this.
  25. First let me say that I haven't read this full thread as yet. But here's is my 2 cents. I really like it here in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia. There's lots of great country roads with very little traffic. But you still have the interstates going north, south, east, and west if you want. We're near the ocean. Have mild weather most of the year. Not so cold, or too hot either. As for friends, we are a little spread out. But we have fun going on garage crawls, and visiting each others garages. It's really all about friends, and driving. :) Ron... Okay Virginia tourism, you can send me my check now! Ron... 003.jpeg 470.jpg 075.jpg

Charlie K and mctommy like this.
  26. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Wow, really nice.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. partssaloon

partssaloon

If you would like to see some of the action here in Havasu, go to youtube and look up Havasu Deuces, a number of videos there.

mctommy likes this.
  28. He might as well stay in Sweden!

Ben

mctommy likes this.
  29. THANK YOU!

Ben

30. Just my opinion but I think choosing Jan-Feb is a huge mistake. The majority of the US other than the deep South and the Southernmost parts of the West coast it's too damn cold for car events.

Guy Patterson likes this.