Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When did you realize you were/are odd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Rogers, Feb 7, 2021.

1. I'm not odd amongst you fellas :D but i believe i was deemed "different" when my mom bought a brand new push mower about 40 years ago and i took it completely apart to see how it worked with an adjustable wrench :)

2. trollst

trollst

I knew I was different from about three years old. My stepdad owned small portable sawmills with power units, cats for moving them and some logging equipment, all this in the 50's and early 60's, rode on cats, walked around the running mills, between power units, so, was very familiar with noise and moving stuff being dangerous. Soon, I could run almost anything, then, bought a harley davidson, never dated much, I liked me and had no use for anyone who didn't like me, was considered to be "difficult" Well, been married 40 years, still like fast cars and harley davidsons, raised two kids, still don't got no use for those who don't like me, and I still like me. I'm still "difficult", VERY loyal to my friends, yeah, I'd say I was odd, but what a great thing to be proud of.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A garage, YEAH!! Maybe you need a different girlfriend too;) Just sayin'

4. deucemac

deucemac

At about 6:30 to 7am, when I get out of bed and hear this weird creaking and popping noise that reminds me of my grandfather!

loudbang and '51 Norm like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoops 50th ...... my bad

loudbang likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm "odd"? I always thought I was a FREAK of nature; like a two headed snake or an electric eel. The only gear-head in my family, but also the one who did things without being told. The one who went into healthcare (Reg. Rad. Tech.), only to be followed many years latter by my older sister (the R.N.), and even later by my younger sister (the Lab Tech). I always tell them I lead the charge! My brothers, older and younger, became the hunter, fisherman, camper guys that were the norm in my family. I tried to get my nephew into this hobby by giving him my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, and all the parts that went into it, plus a lot of $$$ also. I thought I had him hooked, before he started his own CNC Aerospace Machining business, that took all his time, $$$, etc. So, I'm still the freak, the whole freak, and nothing but the freak, so help me God. and, I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

It starts off with, you can't do that, or that won't work, and then after awhile thats how you do everything

Montana1 and loudbang like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh crap Ray...that video works both ways...and may explain why I have SO many friends...I'm one of them thar a dumbass's:eek:;)

loudbang and Beanscoot like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I was labeled as odd when I was only 4 years old. By a local newspaper, no less.

My mother had 10 children. Poor woman. I was the first, and pretty much saw the whole thing happen. Every year... a new baby brother or sister. And when I say every year, I mean... for a time... every year at the same time. The EXACT same time.

I was born on May 8th 1957. The next four of my siblings were all born on May 27th... 1958, 1959, 1960, and 1961. When the second of the four was born, the doctors and nurses and everybody thought that was pretty neat. When the third of the four was born, it was amazing. In the few days just before the fourth was born, I understand that the doctors and nurses were taking bets. Sure enough... May 27th.

Dad brought Mom and the new baby home, and it was of course the other 3 children's birthday. The Detroit News and the Pontiac Press both came by with cakes and took pictures. Dad mentioned in later years that he'd never forget me singing Happy Birthday to my four younger brothers and sisters... by myself.

The newspaper articles explained how the four were born on exactly the same date. One story continued to say...
    Ricky, BEING THE ODD ONE, was born on May 8th.

Over the years, my brothers and sisters have often reminded me... as they're laughing.
    :(..........:D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  10. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Kindergarten. My parents were summoned to the school because I drew a Hooker Headers decal. Teacher thought it was something perverted. True story.

11. Never..not odd.

To me the odd ones are the guys ate up with athletic teams/events they were never a part of. I mean the guys that are all about "we won" this or that. Oh really, were you on the court/field?

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Rickie, your parents needed to get a different hobby! And I ain't talking about cards or bowling either.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Saxman and Rickybop like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don’t believe that! .....but your Modesty becomes you....:)

Ray

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Odd? Isn't that the new normal?
    I wonder about everyone except me and thee, and sometimes thee.

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  15. big john d

big john d
    from ma

most of the really smart people i know but do not hang with can not even park their bicycle straight without help

16. I can't ever remember running with the herd.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps, but I am not smart enough to understand what you are implying..:confused:

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  18. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I had a few really close friends who shared in my car hobby where I used to live. After I retired I realized how much fun I had sharing my progress on my project and helping or just offering advice on their projects. Now I have moved to a small lake and set up a new shop, etc. Problem is no one up here ( at least that I can find) gives a shit about cars or how they work...

hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  19. LOL, kind of like you paying for meat and fish when your hungry.;) I enjoy doing both and a few other things. It doesn’t matter what your into as long as your happy.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My behaviour and obsession is normal to me; to each their own I say. You've got to have one vice:D

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

At a minimum, and an anvil comes in pretty handy too! ;)

Ray

SR100, X-cpe, grumpy65 and 5 others like this.
  22. The tackle box that I used for my slot cars is a lot like my shop now, as many cars as there are slots and full of spare parts. There were times when I wished I liked other things.......but I don't:D

Montana1, Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Wife is more than willing to verify that, after years of actively applying myself, I have achieved an exemplarily high level of dumbassedness.;)

loudbang and Wanderlust like this.
  24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been exceptional.

25. ken bogren

ken bogren

normal is overrated

loudbang likes this.
  26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Never considered myself odd, Gifted is the term I like. 1st issue of Hot Rod Magazine is the Pre-Indy issue of 1961, the one with AJ Foyt's winning car on the cover, but not listed as a potential winner by the writers, still got it.

I was 7. Like many have said already, I too liked to take things apart. Sometimes Icould even get them back together and working. Went on to become an industrial mechanic for 10 years, then college (engineering, ME). Spent 30 of the next 35 years as an engineer working in automotive emissions research.

I guess those years playing with cars paid off...

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Junior high art class. I was always moving toward car stuff. Sister Mary Cyanide created and assignment that targeted me, announcing as much to the whole class. "I want to see a picture related to spring, this means you DON'T get to do a car picture!" Likely the moment I earned my avatar, I did a "mod" style "NHRA SPRINGNATIONALS" poster complete with a couple Super Stock racers yanking the tires under a "flower power" style logo (remember those?). A couple guys got a massive kick out of it. She gave me an 'F' but I didn't care. Yes, this a true story, except her name of course.

28. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Not until my kids and grandkids told me that I was. I still don't believe them.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Oldb

Oldb

I've always been obsessed with mechanical things. Put into a group of people I've never met before, say at the wife's office party...if there is a car person there I will find them.
    As far as the odd label, probably when I started putting Detroit Diesels in old farm tractors.

Hnstray, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. I try not to associate with people who watch ball and stick sports.