Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My ‘30 Model A Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Hi Guys -

I have wanted to building a Model A ford for many years, but always thought that I would never be able to afford to buy one outright. A few years back I finally decided to start collecting parts and piece things together as I could. I started with just a frame and slowly collected front and rear axles, some wheels and finally a body. Last week I was able to do a preliminary mock-up to see how I liked it, and I am pretty excited to move forward.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. It’s a 30/31 body on a 30 Frame. The front axle is dropped by Anson, as I recall it was a 3-1/2” drop. Rear axle is an early bronco 9” with the spring behind.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it @MrHavard...it's sitting pretty...you are a veteran Hamber so I don't have to mention in too much detail to have your VIN stuff taken care of which varies by State of course...one would hate to do a lengthy build to find out you can't even license it...

What's the period and plan...the rubber, rims and other details fit many years in Hamb circles...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    AHotRod and brady1929 like this.
  4. Oldb

Oldb

Thats a nice frame table in your first photo. Oh, and I really like the Model A also.
    B

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  5. I wanted something that was just simple, fun and fast. Originally I wanted something that was kind of a 60s high school hot rod feel, but it may end up being a bit difference. I’m going to run 550x16s up from and 750x16s in the rear on 40 Ford style steel rims.

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  6. Thanks, my father in law built it recently so we could straighten my frame. I’ll post photos of it.

winduptoy, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love Model A Coupe Hot Rods

8. IMG_0805.JPG

After we tore apart the mock-up we started working to straighten the frame. My father-in-law was able to acquire some W12’s from a friend, which we cut down and cleaned up. With added feet it is pretty darn level. I am always amazed at what my father in law can do.

9. IMG_0995.JPG
    Originally we thought that the only damage was to the top flange on one side of the frame. After taking better measurements however we were able to determine that the frame was out of square by nearly an inch. In the attached photo, we clamped and tacked the rear cross member to a piece of 4” tube. Then we remove the front and center cross members. With a string center line, we have started working our way from the back to the front to get measurements back to stock.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice start...
    I really like that style..and JMO, but don't chop it...

wvenfield and Stogy like this.
  11. With the spring behind and the original rear cross member, you've just shortened your wheelbase forward several inches.
    If you center the rear wheel arches over the wheels, nothing forward will line up.

Maybe you're going to step the frame and move the crossmember back in the process?

winduptoy likes this.
  12. yeap, after we finish straightening we are going to step and move the rear crossmember. I have a mock-up photo that shows how far off the wheelbase is, it looks pretty silly.

Just Gary, ct1932ford and winduptoy like this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

Man, not another Model A?! It’s All Good, your father in law will keep you straight. Happy building, Carp.

winduptoy likes this.
  14. Ok, so I have a question. I am pondering having the body blasted before I move into any body work. Should I remove any of the body panels beforehand? Was thinking of removing the gas tank, trunk lid, what else would make sense?

15. Pretty much everything. The grit is like spraying paint, it can't go around corners, between panels or into seams, only what's exposed, so take apart as much as you can.

Just Gary and ct1932ford like this.
  16. That is what I thought originally, but I am afraid of ending up with a box of ‘build your own model A’ puzzle pieces if I take too much apart :). I will try to stay sensible in my disassembly when I get to that point.

17. IMG_1006.JPG

Finished the straightening today and tacked in the SoCal front cross member. I tried locating it off dimensions from the Wescott diagram which were completely off. Instead I used the center rivet locations for the original crossmember which I am happy with. Tacked in the first couple boxing plates and also cut off the rear crossmember to move it back. We’re going to move the rear crossmember 6-3/4” which I believe is correct based off the size of the rear hangers I am using.

catdad49, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929