Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Basketcase old hotrod roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joebrownvw, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a few posts above you with a link...yes it is...;)

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Cant fool me:p

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably chimed in on the other thread and didn't make the connection...:D...but I know I can have confidence that my eagle eyed Hamber Friends will step up to the plate and deliver the goods...;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  4. good luck with the project !

loudbang, Stogy and lumpy 63 like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someone will confirm that BM 88 may be B Modified if that was a class or not. Either way it is an old Hot Rod and it has a soul that gives it a bit more value than a rusted out stocker IMO. Bob

sko_ford, bambbrose, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bob 'Modified' maybe Blown/Modified...:)...A question of this Roadster of note...The snaps on the doors and Quarter OEM or Race Tonneau.?...just saw them...this is a rust belt roadster so Winter and side curtains were standard fare this way I suppose...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Joebrownvw can you spot any Robertson screws...that would clarify Canadian or US which helps narrow things a wee bit...

I would say that if that's a Golden Horseshoe or Southern Ontario Area Hotrod it may have Raced in Buffalo to as it's pretty close by...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  8. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

I dont know why I didn't look for that beforehand...
    Not a Robertson in sight. It actually only has flathead screws not even a single Philips

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There may have been select places they used them...perhaps those more up on this short run for the Milton, Ontario Company and Henry's Model A can allude...I was just thinking your dash is Custom so perhaps all clues were erased...:oops:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I saw this roadster body on Kijiji a few weeks back and took note of it. I wasn't interested in it as I have a finished 1929 roadster, but you always look at stuff like this when it comes up for sale. Can't help with any history,but there are a couple of guys that live not far from me that used to race at the old Kohler Dragway, ( Cayuga ) and they may remember the car if that roadster ever competed there. With the current health situation going on right now, I'm not even going to bother them.

I see the top of the gas tank has been torched out, to likely get clearance for a rear mounted distributer, so one would assume there was likely a SBC in the engine compartment at one time. I also don't see any outside door handles, and the remains of an inside door latch on the driver's side. I'm wondering if this is an early 1928 body, if so there should be three holes in the panel below that rumble lid, in a triangle pattern, where the drum tail light would have mounted.

I can see that you are going to be really good friends with Kenny at Brookville, as that roadster really needs a mountain of work. Any plans yet on the build for the car?

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Fast Elvis...Quickchange you have confirmed I have alerted a good candidate for potential history...It's unfortunate our weather is so nasty to the history that was...but there are silver linings despite nature's wrath...

12. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

Looks like a daunting project for sure but I’m glad you saw the potential! Good luck and I will be following.

wood remover, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

This thing is neat, I liked it in the previous thread although I didn't like the price that was on it, but sounds like you worked out a deal so I'm all for it. It needs a lot, but there's also a lot there to work with. If guys can build bodies from scratch, this thing is definitely saveable.

The dash and the old paint are great, it definitely had some hotrod history, even if you aren't able to document its past.

14. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Stogy, Mark would certainly be a good place to start if this roadster has any Canadian racing history. He has a vast wealth of knowledge on this subject. Some of the racers from the late 50's and 60's should have a look at this car and see if any of them remember it. You are right though,
    Canadian hot rod history is cloudy at best, and finding something is likely a very big longshot.

Trying not to be a pessimist here, but this roadster may only have the history of some teenager some 50 or 60 years ago, that dreamed of completing this hot rod and it ended up never being finished. It may have just sat for decades unfinished. It looks like it finally ended up sitting outside. One never knows what the story is with this roadster but it is certainly worthwhile to investigate and see what turns up.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

That is cool for sure! Real Hot Rod history.

I was thinking you already have the body-off. One less step!

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I saw this on kijiji, to far away for me, caught my attention, and will continue to do that no matter what happens to it.

17. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

The large hole in the tank houses
    what looks to have been a very crudely made throttle linkage.
    It does have a kinda oddball hanging pedal set up and would have once had a master cylinder mounted on the firewall
    I will check for any evidence of drum light mounting holes this evening and report back.

Being fairly new to Canada I don't have anyone to ask or contact about potential history

18. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Here for the history. Would love to see the backstory on this one. Good luck on the restoration!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. yep ....that looks like way upstate new york rust......that thing is cherry for up here. Why there'd be folks standing around lookin' at it.....marvelin' on how the lucky guy found iron as good as that up here.

Stogy, catdad49, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  20. adam401

adam401

There's like a 3 page thread on this roadster body on here on if it was worth messing with or not. I thought it definately was and I guess you agree cause you bought it. Good for you. That thing has soul for sure. Good luck.

21. petelightning

petelightning

Another fellow Ontarian here.
    also saw this for sale a while. thats a lottttt of work but roadsters are scarce up here.
    have a cpl solid 28/29 roadster cowl's if needed and misc parts
    goodluck with the project

22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    loudbang and Joebrownvw like this.
  23. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

People thought I was crazy buying spare Canadian motors..

24. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

So not too much has happened so far as I'm waiting to build a much needed shop!
    Anyway, I have given it a good look over now and maybe a couple of hints to its previous life.
    It looks to have been channeled 4-5 inches.
    Under the dash appears to have been fully wired through the firewall at some point using braided cloth wiring.
    It still has wired in a '49-'53 chrysler/Desoto 6v voltage regulator labeled "made in Canada" suggesting it really is an old Canadian hot rod.
    Firewall is obviously cut and clearanced for something along with the cowl band area too.
    Definitely had a roll bar
    Doors were welded shut and braced from the inside and around the rear behind the seats.

A few extra pics added too
    20210414_175254.jpg

25. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

26. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Will upload the rest tomorrow when I have a better connection

27. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

28. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

29. Joebrownvw