Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When did you realize you were/are odd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Rogers, Feb 7, 2021.

1. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

I've been heavy into cars since I was at least 15. Most of my friends were too, but now none of them are into it like I am....I need new friends...haha. I do hunt, but don't watch sports. My girlfriend gets tired of watching cars shows and bringing home rusty projects...I need a garage.

2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

3. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Car guys are normal. Why can't women understand that?
    [​IMG]

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

As far as I can tell I am the only normal person here. Does that make me odd or are the rest of you odd?

5. jay t.

jay t.

I always had the impression non car people looked down on car guys especially if you’re not into sports or hunting/fishing. Doesn’t bother me , actually I feel sorry for them. They’re usually the ones that have to pay someone to fix or build anything

6. Well I guess it all started when I took my Farthers Engine apart
    I wanted to see what made it Work.! and Guess what....?
    He came out in the Back yard to take his Car for a appointment
    I told him I will put it Back together in hour.!
    He took a Cab to where he had to Go.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was the odd kid in my family too. Neither my parents, or my brothers were into cars, or interested in cars, like I was. And I don't recall a time I wasn't? I hung out at the neighbor's garage when I was still riding my trike, and spent all my allowances on models, or car magazines. I even had my dad take me to the local Goodwill store on Sat. when I heard they sold used car magazines for pennies, just so I could get more for my .25 cent allowance!
    I have friends now who are car guys, and try to surround myself with the same types as myself. I've found lots who like cars, but my closest car friends are those who also like building cars.

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Cars can teach you a lot, patience, new cuss words, having to wait and save up, trading skills, problem solving.

maya 1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  9. I'm not Odd, My mom had me tested! 589.jpg 1719.jpg

10. I guess I found I was different when I got married and realized that none of my wife's friends and family were at all interested in cars or boats for that matter. Still, my wife says: (when someone comes over), "show them your car!" Interesting reactions, as most of them have never seen a real hot rod in person...

11. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes one to know one.

loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Hey, all the kids today are talking about Unicorns. Some business gurus too. Maybe we were ahead of our times?

loudbang likes this.
  13. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you could tell the makes of cars when you were like, 3 years old. Me too!
    You can't remember a time when you weren't interested in cars. Me too!
    You built model cars when you were a kid. Me too.
    When your school chums were into sports and chasing girls, you were messing with cars. Me too.
    Wow. That's odd.

14. chopo

chopo

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Didn`t everybody have dingle balls hanging from their rear windows in high school. In the 80`s.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what I find odd is people with no hobby at all. if i had not turned into a Hot rod guy, I'd be a woodworker guy. build things and restore antique furniture.

what really baffles me is half the country will be sitting in their living room today yelling at millionaires on the TV.... I think.... it's Superbowl day today isn't it? I have no idea who is playing or where. If I spend a Sunday watching TV, I'll watch Westerns on GRIT TV. channel 66.5.

17. Odd, OK, I'll cop to that. I've been out of step most of my life. I'll be 69 on my next birthday and it's only in the last decade or so that I can see that I'm not so much odd as I was hangin with the the wrong crowd most of my life.

These days I spend most of my time with like minded folks, most of them a little out of step with mainstream society, but more content and happier than a lot of other folks. If I can spend the rest of my days as happy and content as I am today, surround me with people of the same mindset and call me odd all you want. I'm good. :cool:

Saxman, Sandgroper, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  18. Cue the music.............
    "I'm A Lonely Little Petunia In An Onion Patch"

19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I basically got assigned to auto mechanics class when I was a senior in high school. That was when I discovered that I not only had an aptitude tor mechanical things but that I really enjoyed it.
    Up to that time I didn't know which end of a screw driver to use. Now I know, one end is for prying on things and the other is for hammering on things.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've been into cars since I was a kid, but didn't get serious about it until 1967 when Hot Wheels came out... I was 7. I used to take the wheels off my bike for no reason, one time I decided to disassmble the coaster brake to see what made it tick... the my Pop had to buy me a new wheel because I couldn't put it back together. :) probably thinking "What is wrong with this kid?" guess I have always had an interest in how things work.

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

When I was little I liked tonka trucks and then moved to model cars, I liked them A LOT more than other kids, So I knew early on. As a young adult I wished more people would be in to cars, now I don’t give a rats ass who in to cars, as long as still enjoy them.

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dad sent me to a shrink when i was about 16 because i liked to go out on school nights and "romance" the ladies.
    i had a relative who was 15 and still played with toy soldiers. he was considered normal!

Shalamo, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I realized I was odd when I bought my 1st issue of HOTROD @ 16yo in 1960. The oddness kept growing as I always wanted a California hot rod. I finally bought the one I have now in 1997!! @76yo I am still odd and am enjoying every minute of it.......

Shalamo, hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Possibly the attached link will provide some insight into our collective ‘oddity’....:D

Ray

25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm not odd. I'm allowing others who will never own a a hot rod or classic to live vicariously through me.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that explains my thoughts pretty well. I've been around some boring people in my life and they either had no hobbies or outside interests away from work or they were the single interest/hobby guys.
    I worked with a guy a few years ago who had absolutely no known outside interests or hobbies away from work. He was boring as all hell.
    On the other hand I worked with a guy for 16 years who only salmon fished and had no other hobbies or interests until his daughter was born. One of the best fishermen around and I'd take him with me on my boat anytime but very boring after a while.

It doesn't matter what your interest or hobby is if you can only talk about that hobby or interest around others and aren't interested in anything except that hobby you are the BORING ONE not them. Been there done that when I was so wrapped up in my hot rods I bored everyone around.
    I'm probably spread way too thin as far as hobbies and interests. I don't even stick to one type of car as a hobby but you would have to do some hunting to know the others, Some friends don't even know that I am serious into hot rods thinking that I am way more into boats. A number of people know me far more for my sunset or mountain photos than my car photos.

Even on my way down the California coast from Monterey to Pismo Beach I took something like 400 photos of the California coast on the way down driving my wife nuts with all the stops, That was after spending about five hours taking photos at Crater lake on the way down and taking about 250 photos there.

I was one of those kids who knew every make, model and year of car up into the mid 60's. I was wrapped up in hot rods and customs since I discovered Hot Rod Magazine on the bookmobile when I was in 5th grade and read every issue that they brought that I could get my hands on. Spent my allowance on model cars or the little book car magazines in my early teens. It kept me from buying candy bars with the money though.

Saxman, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

In the 70's when I needed gas on an even day!

loudbang and Flathead Dave like this.
  28. tim troutman

tim troutman

I was telling a friend about a strange guy I worked with that had rabbits in his house & liked to pick up street walkers. My friend told me he probably tells his friend he works with a strange guy that drives a Model T roadster to work . I said fair enough

29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

The day I figured out that my helmet was 58 years old. (truth) DSCN1231.JPG

Lil32, slim38 and loudbang like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

We can do it all;).
    I don’t like long walks in the beach, or funny tasting coffee though...

loudbang likes this.