Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP Chevrolet 283 2bbl Rochester carb squirts fuel!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiac life, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

Hello everyone,
    My brothers 62 Chevy with a 283 V8 Rochester 2 barrel was running great up until a few days ago when he went to fire it up and a stream of fuel shoots out of the below circled tube on the top of the carb!! A literal stream that shoots straight to the firewall! I have never seen this before.
    Does anyone have any idea why?
    Does he need to replace carb or rebuild it?
    Is it something else?

Thank you!!

2bbl rochestor carb.JPG

2. TCATTC

TCATTC

My first thoughts are either the needle/seat stuck open, the float could be full of fuel, or too high fuel pressure. Then again it could be something else.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ X2 on one and two listed. Check those first since it ran fine before.

loudbang and jaracer like this.
  4. Tap the top of the carb with your hammer. See if that fixes it. If not something is in the seat, holding the needle open, or the float has developed a hole in it. But try the hammer first

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ BFH or lfh?

61Cruiser likes this.
  6. Id start with the lfh, then titrate hammer size to the required BAM! :D

7. fordflambe

fordflambe

The tubing you have circled in red is a fuel bowl vent. Gas coming out there means your fuel bowl is over-full. The help from TCATTC, Johnny, and Lloyd's are various tactics to cure the cause.

61Cruiser and Torkwrench like this.
  8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

We used to pinch off the rubber hose before the fuel pump and run the engine until it ran out of gas. Doing this allowed the needle to drop really far from the seat and when the fuel hose was unpinched and engine restarted the sudden inrush of gas would flush out any dirt.

nunattax, Algoma56, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^ and possibly a hammer.;)

Lynn

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The cause for the dirt in the needle is usually that the inlet filter is plugged and the fuel pressure has allowed the spring behind it to allow the filter to bypass. letting the dirt that plugged the filter to flow into the needle and seat. make sure to replace the filter. It is in the carb body just behind the fitting that the fuel line attaches to....

61Cruiser, Algoma56 and Lil32 like this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Soooo , is tapping with a hammer or squeezing the fuel line the right way to repair it , or would the OP be better off cleaning & rebuilding the carb & servicing the fuel system ? I know how all of you only approve of doing things the " right" way :D

6-bangertim and Wanderlust like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes if indeed it is dirt in the needle, squeeze the inlet hose before the fuel pump (or disconnect it) run it until the carb runs out of gas. tap the top of the carb (lightly with a plastic hammer) then change the inlet fuel filter, re connect the hose to the fuel pump and start her up. if it runs without flooding you are done. If it continues to flood you could repeat the above or disassemble the carb to either rebuild or replace either the needle and seat or the float or both

X-cpe and lumpy 63 like this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm amazed ...:rolleyes:

fordflambe, 61Cruiser and TCATTC like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can try the band aid methods but I'd suggest pulling the carb off, taking it apart and checking the float and needle and seat to see exactly what is going on.

That carb should have a brass float and they can get a hole in them and fill up with gas and sink. A new float and kit won't cost much over 20.00.

First I'd pull the fuel line out of the carb and pull the fitting that it screws into and see if there is actually a filter in the carb. I've seen too many cars and trucks that the filter in the carb plugged up and someone pulled it out and never replaced it.
    Then run a hose from the fuel line to a gas jug and fire the car up and run it until it runs out of gas as others suggested before putting a new filter in and trying it again . If that doesn't work pull the carb off and go though it.

I always put a filter between the tank and the fuel pump on all of my older rigs simply because old tanks very often have dirt and crud in them that ends up breaking loose and plugging things up. You might plug the filter up but you don't kill the fuel pump or plug the carb. After going off and leaving my gas cap for my 48 on the gas pump at Grand Teton national park before driving through Yellowstone and then driving on fresh chip seal for 20 miles and then having my fuel pump crap out at the top of the Continental divide and coasting down to Whitehorse Where I bought a fuel pump from a kid going in the Navy the next week I don't want another dead fuel pump.

Algoma56 and 6-bangertim like this.
  15. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

Tried the hammer method already and same results, thank you for the suggestions though.

16. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

Good information, thank you!

17. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

UPDATE:
    We tried all of your suggestions, I really appreciate the input, but nothing worked.
    I think what happened is we flooded the bowl by pouring gasoline into the bowl vent pipe to get it started up.
    Is it possible that we drowned the float???

Once again thanks a lot fellas!

18. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Besides the dirt thing...fairly common for some float needles to get slightly cocked and stuck when the float bowl is empty, causing this problem. Usually a rap on the top of the carb near the fuel inlet will jostle the needle enough to get it free. If that doesn't work then it's time to pop the top off the carb and see what ya got.
    Good luck!

19. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

No. The float is designed to live in a bowl full of gas and pouring more gas on top of it will not “drown” it.

20. fordflambe

fordflambe

stock mechanical fuel pumps put out about 5 - 6 psi. The needle and seat / float are not designed to seat off properly with more pressure.

21. carbking

carbking

Trying to sift through possibilities:

"Was running great until a few days ago" - this probably eliminates too high fuel pressure

So as mentioned by several: (1) debris in fuel valve, (2) damaged float

Carb should come apart and the float tested.

Assuming it is an original brass float (if not a brass float, replace it with a brass float), the original brass float may be tested.

If the float does not have liquid when you remove the float, fill your sink with as water as hot as the hot water heater will deliver. Now submerge the float. The hot water will pressurize the air inside the float. If there is a leak, the leak will blow a stream of bubbles like an innertube (showing my age here) with a nail in it.

If the float is bad: Current new floats from 12000 miles away are assembled with some type of something (I hesitate to call it solder) that will FAIL if placed in ethanol fuel. A tested float from a junkyard carb, or, if you can find one, a new old stock float would be the way to go. If you ignore this paragraph, and order a brand new float, would suggest you order a case of them, plus several airhorn gaskets so you can change as needed.

And for those that suggested the hammer (large or small), you are ALL hereby awarded the "Dr. Goodpliers award" (named for the evil twin of Mr. Goodwrench)! ;)

Tapping the carb with the PLASTIC handle of a screwdriver will sometimes dislodge a stuck float. A better method is to (as the OP tried) fill the fuel bowl through the vent with fresh fuel. Float buoyancy will dislodge it, with no physical damage.

Jon.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

How much fuel pressure does it take to overfill a carb and squirt the gas on the firewall from the bowl vent?

23. Terrible80

Terrible80

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

"A literal stream that shoots straight to the firewall". His words not mine. Lippy

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When I read that I found it funny and concerning at the same time. All I could see in my mind is a novice ending up like a child with a...
    [​IMG]

26. Budget36

Budget36

It’s not a difficult carb to remove and take apart and see what’s inside the bowl. If there is junk in the bowl, getting the needle to seat now, doesn’t give me an easy feeling driving it somewhere.

27. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did you replace the needle and seat at the same time? did you adjust the float level properly? and did you replace the sintered bronze filter at the carb inlet? new parts don't like dirt from a bad filter

29. Pontiac life

Pontiac life

I did NOT replace the needle and seat YET, they have been ordered will arrive in a couple days.
    You think that's it?

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

make sure you replace that fuel filter in the carb inlet. pay close attention to the way it is facing when you remove it. also make sure the spring is behind it and that the gasket inside the fitting gets replaced