Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Don't flame me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lerenzo Rawson, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Guys, I've looked through countless flame job threads. I've scoured the Google box. I've crannied all the nooks, and nooked all the crannies. I need help, can anyone tell me what this style of flames is called, and show me more pictures of this style? It really caught my eye. Sorry for the crappy picture! Screenshot_20210206-105058.jpeg

Sent from my cp3705A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Traditional flames!

Driver50x and squirrel like this.
  3. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Haha thanks, I was hoping so. The thing is, they're not striped, not fancy, so no one posts pictures of them (that I see at least).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thats the kind of flames you paint with no airbrush but spray bombs and no real ability to lay out flames.

Sorry but I like alittle more flow to my flames.

5. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

That makes a lot of sense actually! They caught my eye because they look to be closer to my skill level. I like how loose they are.

6. Kenny Howard used to say that flames should never cross over each other and resemble crab claws.
    Most people will agree with that idea when thinking of a traditional flame job. Some of the earlier flame jobs were really crude what you are posting would have come in the later 50s and 60s. They are desirable to most of the older been around hot rods forever crowd.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do search here, you tube, etc on how to create design and layout on car - take your time, and use quality paint

pitman and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  8. LOL rattle can flames are traditional. :D :D :D

@Jalopy Joker You are absolutely correct if you want it right make it right to start with. ;)

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I wanted my tub to look like it was painted decades ago.

Attached Files:

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Is Kenny Howard, M K John.

11. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Seaweed style? This book is great. Tells the history of flames and lots of great pics.

20210206_123046.jpg

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

This is something I would not do to mine but....
    ^^^
    How can you not like this?

Is that the 80s movie where the '57 is hidden under the football field and the "Chevelle Guy" makes a run to save the school?

Edit: Catch me if you can 1989...

Cosmo49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I think Kenny Howard is otherwise known as J. L. Bachs.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

15. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Exactly the movie! You can still find it free on youtube

dana barlow, chryslerfan55 and F-ONE like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I did flames on one of my early cars many years ago. Fortunately, I don't believe any pictures exist.

I think I broke every rule involved with painting flames, but I think they looked OK on that car. I discovered there was a pretty big curve on learning to paint flames. That one time was enough for me, I decided I didn't like flames on my stuff after that experience.
    I guess the point is, if its your car, you are the only guy who needs to be happy with the flames. Gene

17. squirrel

squirrel

Decades ago I did a rattle can flame job on a little riding mower that a friend gave me. They looked pretty much like on that 57. I can't find a picture of it right now...but you can use your imagination.

Those are definitely traditional flames. Go for it! just don't get hung up on trying to make them look like art, as so many painters do these days

Cosmo49, F-ONE, j3harleys and 4 others like this.
  18. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

ahh, the rare microwave optioned 57 chevy.

Squablow, kidcampbell71 and F-ONE like this.
  19. 310.jpg I didn't know that we had styles 30 or 40 years ago. I just hand drew them with a soap stone. Here's a photo of my brothers 55 before computers to look at. We just had fun....

20. Do it. Some people forget this old car stuff is supposed to be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Cosmo49, F-ONE, Rickybop and 9 others like this.
  21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I want flames so bad I can taste them..........but the awful reality for me is after all that money and effort put into them I know I will get bored with them after 6 months or so and have to get them gone. So looking at other peoples flame jobs will have to do for me.
    Something to chew on........

Lerenzo Rawson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flames are great but smiling girls with dresses and legs are fantastic:)

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like traditional flames as have been shown here so far but I really like "ghost flames" in a paint job you can reach into .[​IMG]

Lerenzo Rawson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Exactly this

OK, here's a silly story. Back in the '80s, my roommate's daily was a clapped out late-model Corvair convertible. Rough all around and covered in rattle-can primer. While he was away one weekend, our gang of friends got together and painted flames on the thing as a prank. We did a deliberately awful job, using old house paint applied with big fat bristle brushes. It was meant as a joke, and after getting a laugh we intended to help him sand it down and give the whole car the decent paint job it needed.

Well, when he saw it, he freakin' loved it. He was an art student, and he dug the absurdity, the crudeness, and the fact that his friends had done it. He refused to let us paint it, and drove it that way for two years! So I guess in the end, the joke was on us.

To top it off, he eventually sold the car at a nice profit and used the money to buy a gorgeous '67 Buick Wildcat convertible with a nice maroon paint job.

25. 4tford

4tford

64 plymouyh.jpg

on the 64 plymouth I had.

26. 4tford

4tford

27. I was explaining this to someone at work the other day, I have old cars because they make me happy. It’s not to impress other people or for attention, strictly because it makes me happy. That’s how it should be.

28. Von Dutch actually.

das858 likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Most of the early flames started as a variation of scallops. As the scallop tips got creative, the curved into “crab claws” for a different look. Then the creative designers and painters started adding curvy swoops to the ends of the crab claws and the flames you are looking for are the next step. We created early scallops on our notebooks and drawings.

Then as the tips swayed in different directions, they became looking more like flames than scallops. Straight scallops were easy to draw with rulers. Then as freehand came in other classes, the straight scallops started moving by them selves not in a perfect straight line.

The scallops got wavy and then someone popped up with copy of early flames and that was very close to scallops. As their tips began to sway with the different designs. The early flames started to get into shape. Then as we all know, each artist had their own version of drawing or painting flames on anything that moved.

Jnaki

Our early designs on wagons and bicycles took shape, but the finished product never looked like those from the tiny magazine photos. We even had a red lawnmower with yellow/black flames, and even a homemade blooie & stinger pipes for supposedly added horsepower. Our mom had a giant fit but, we used the mower until it stopped. The next new one, stayed stock.

As far as flames, it is up to the artist and painter. Early versions or modern swoopy “cross over tips” flames… it is the choice of the owner or painter.
    upload_2021-2-13_4-18-24.png (white tennis shoe designs from back in 1962-63)

When we (teenagers) all wore white Jack Purcell tennies and Chuck Taylor tennies, the flames added a custom touch to be a teenage individual, but had to endure tons of laughter. The black low cut Chuck Taylor tennies won out in the long run.

Many years later, when our granddaughter got some white tennies, I painted red flames on them… lower photos. She loved the look and appearance. Her parents went berserk. So, new white tennies were bought for their daughter. Then years later when Vans tennies were in popularity, lo and behold, flames on tennies were back.

upload_2021-2-13_4-20-35.png

30. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I THINK FLAMES ARE KOOL

LorenzoDox likes this.