Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The upholstery thread to end all threads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

It'll probably help it feed better, but the machine will still be limited in what thickness material you can get in under the foot, and how thick thread it can use.
    I would GUESS an older, sturdy domestic machine can do basic work like sewing two layers of vinyl. Forget about piping, foam, and other versions of more thickness to sew through.

loudbang and RAT "T" like this.
  2. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

OK, THANKS GUYS

loudbang likes this.
  3. 36fordguy

36fordguy

If you get hold of a long arm machine do it. These are nice to have and can do some trick stuff. I wished I would have invested in one from the start. My style of upholstery would have been more "customed" then the run of the mill.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a 15 minute long video on the basics of how to measure and make a seat cushion. One of the best I've seen.

engine138, reagen, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Do not sew with your fingers in front of the needle like he did. If you do, you will regret it. Do not use pen, like stated earlier. It will bleed thru on lighter colored vinyls. Usually the left and right top sides and side pieces are different on newer styled seats. Use clear plastic for making patterns and use an air stapler staples to hold plastic in place. Hope this helps. I guess I never watch these video`s.

6. Ahhhhhh it won't be long before big daddy will be getting free upholstery!! :D she's covering everything that sits still long enough lmao! I was the same way when i started pinstriping. I'm excited for her. She loves the lucky needle classes. 20210206_173002.jpg

7. grumpy65

grumpy65

LLOYD'S PAINT & GLASS..........& UPHOLSTERY......................;)

loudbang and continentaljohn like this.
  8. I was thinking Ashley's trim & upholstery, but should i really advertise my wife's trim? o_O:D:p

reagen, loudbang, fauj and 7 others like this.
  9. grumpy65

grumpy65

As long as it's covered with upholstery I guess it's ok......................

reagen, loudbang, 57 Fargo and 3 others like this.
  10. Have her pop up for a weekend this summer to upholster the Fargo for me...oh I guess you can come too.

It’s only a couple thousand miles!

Oh and I don’t pay worth a shit.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  11. grumpy65

grumpy65

You are going to find it hard to maintain your 'tough guy' image around here if you persist in making 'new-age-man' statements like this........................;)

12. Man you have no idea how much this sewing machine weighs! I dread moving it once i build her a shop lmao!

loudbang likes this.
  13. We have fancy kitchen chairs now, but none of them match lmao. She said the next one is gonna be diamonds :D but she's doing great. I'm very proud of her ;) 20210206_190030.jpg

14. I keep reassuring her that nobody was born doing anything. Everybody had to learn.

brEad, reagen, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

They had that saying framed at my trade school I went to in 1977...

16. grumpy65

grumpy65

Sounds like you should think of them as 'love seats'................:rolleyes:
    It looks like she is a natural. Good work.

Auto-upholstered kitchen chairs..............mmmmm..............you guys might be on to something.
    Surely I am not the only one interested in that............

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Looks good and congratulations When starting Upholstery just like any thing else Practice practice practice and sew all types of media as they all react differently. I would start small with tool pouches for the cars then to tool rolls, seat cushions or kneeling cushions when working on the car.

18. That's what she's doing, she's working on her round corners right now. Cutting circles and sewing a bolster to them. I bought her a truck seat to practice on. I told her to keep recovering it in different styles and with different material. I'm gonna take the back seat out of my 57 and turn her loose on it, i know it will be better than what it is now :D

loudbang likes this.
  19. If I come help do I get a free seat?

loudbang likes this.
  20. Absolutely!! Plus we can knock out some bodywork and maybe get my wagon painted :D

loudbang likes this.
  21. Be a good shakedown for the Fargo!

22. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Has anyone ever installed the staples that attach the felt to the garnish molding, if so how did you drive the staple through the metal strip with attached cat wiskers or felt to the garnish molding and roll the staple over on the back side. I am working on a 39 SD. One side was rivited and the other side was screwed on. I want to staple both sides on. Any know how to do it. TKS Gene

loudbang likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pain in the but to do. You drill two holes and poke the staple in. Then bend the ends over. Have installed 100`s of staples this way. I need to make a jig with the right distance for the staple holes. Hard to align them. Squeeze the staple ends a bit as it is crowned a little.

24. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I kinda of figured I needed to drill holes and bend them over, the jig will be the pain in the butt, TKS for letting me know how other people have done it

loudbang likes this.
  25. Well, she's at it again. I've never seen anybody so excited about learning a new skill. If the cat would hold still looking enough it would get upholstered lol. Stay tuned, I'll post the finished product in a couple of hours.... 20210214_162844.jpg 20210214_164648.jpg

Royalshifter, egads and loudbang like this.
  26. That’s awesome Lloyd, I would be a happy paying customer if you weren’t so damn far away. I wonder if I can start mailing patterns? Mail order upholstery!!

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool deal. I have started the videos, but I am waiting to actually start sewing until I have all of my ducks in a row.

28. She said "hell yeah!" Kitchen chairs are her specialty at this point :D she's covering a console lid for one of my buddies too. Baby steps ya know. She ordered a few rolls of welting and got them in yesterday, so soon she'll be redoing my 57 Chevy. She's getting better every day, don't know how much longer i can put up with her cocky attitude, but i really want my car done :D

loudbang, 57 Fargo and Roothawg like this.
  29. Piece of MDF that he cut out and dropped off, said see what she can do with this. I ran a roundover bit around the top. She glued a piece of foam over it. She's sewing up a cover right now while a watch :D 20210214_162045.jpg 20210214_162038.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  30. How long to do a couple seats you figure? I can send the covers for patterns. I have about two months probably before things warm up enough to resume any resemblance of body work.

I wanna get in before she’s famous and out of my price range! Lol

brEad and loudbang like this.