Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Drums, so why not use the hubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29RAT, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Tuck, did you ever get a set of adaptors from Sandfordsotherson?

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could use a set aswell!

4. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I have a set of his adapters that I never used. I would sell them if anyone needs a pair. I also have some buick hubs that I removed from finned drums if anyone is in need. PM me if interested. Thanks.

grail likes this.
  5. grail

grail

That is fantastic! I want to do the same thing for my 36 dodge. Do you have specs on the adapters you made?

6. Jym93653

Jym93653

Still have the adaptors?

7. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Sold the adapters.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

good news. happy endings all around.:)

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is anyone still making these adapters or has the measurements so I can have them made? I would like to put a set of 64 Buick drums along with the stock Buick backing plates on my 34 Ford axle. It has the round spindles and I currently have 40 Ford brakes on it....Maybe one of you guys can give me a direction.....would be awesome!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hint, hint, hint...

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oooooh, thanks! I oughta read before I ask..... hahhahaha

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

13. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Falcongeorge - "Got my adaptors from Sanfordsotherson today, just wanted to say how impressed I am by the all around effort he puts into this, even includes clear instructions, and very neatly packaged as well, Good stuff, Thanks a bunch Donnie, you can put me down as a satisfied customer..."

Falcongeorge, glad you received my package and you're happy with everything. But, I only package them up and ship 'em to whoever needs a set or two. I need to point out that these are the exact adapters 29RAT designed, made, and sold. Instead of him waiting for enough pre-orders to do a run of parts, I just paid for him to do a run a few years ago, so they'd be available when ever anyone needed a set. I have several sets, and when they're gone, I assume 29RAT will make more, depending on demand.

The adapters enable you to use the stock Buick hubs & drums on early Ford spindles & backing plates, from at least '39 through '48. The kits might fit earlier spindles too, but I'm not sure. This saves you having to source the correct Ford hubs and have to adapt them to the Buick drums.The adapter kit for two (2) wheels is $75, and includes shipping in the 48 states. PM me if you need a set.

-Donnie

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    BONNEVILLE BOB 95, Tuck and RICH B like this.
  14. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Back in the summer of 2012 I had 29RAT do a run of adapter parts. Well, this weekend I packaged up the last three (3) adapter sets I have. They are reserved for 'CHUBBIE', '66RAGTOP', and 'FLATHEDJOHN47' awaiting payment.

I have several sets that have bad machining, so I can't send these out to anyone. I think there's about 25 bad pieces, so that's a dozen kits. I'll have to find a local machine shop to finish machine these remaining parts before I'll have any more kits available. This will take awhile, so I won't have kits available for awhile.

29RAT didn't perform the actual machining on these pieces, so it's not his fault they're not right. I understand in his posts, that these were CNC machined. So, apparently the machinist wasn't doing a complete job of quality control while the CNC machine was running.

Anyway, sorry guys I don't have anymore kits available for awhile. Best thing to do if you need a set, is to contact 29RAT and see if he's made any more in the last few years. Or, PM me from time to time to see if I have them again. Like I said though, I won't have any more for awhile.

-Donnie

15. VonWegener

VonWegener

Donnie I could use a set, even if they aren't pretty as long as the important surfaces are up to spec. I have a worn out South Bend.....

16. triton6972

triton6972

Any of these hub adapters still available? Or does anyone have the dimensions? I could machine them myself on my lathe.

17. There is a fella up in ME that is doing the Buick thing. I will track down the info from another member and send you the info.

18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought 3 sets wheel bearing adapters from Sandfordsotherson, that was maybe 6 or so years ago. One set went to a friend who never used it , the other to a friend who did use it to put 64 Buick drums ,spindles and backing plates on his 34 Ford. He is very happy. I think he had to modify the backing plates a bit. I still have the last set to replace the 40 brakes on my 34 with a set of 61 Buicks once the time comes. But I can make you a sketch with all the dimensions if that helps!

19. i may still have a set i purchased 2 sets years ago and 1 set on my a

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled out my old measure-lator and convertulator and screwed up the best I could. If something seems wrong to you it probably is, just give me a shout , I´ll re-check it for you. cm is centimeters and " is inches... I´ll leave the adapter near me to have them here if someone needs another guessurement.
    IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0278.JPG

tkoon, fegsta and Beanscoot like this.
  21. desertdroog

desertdroog

Finally got my setup all polished and put together. In addition to using the adapter sleeves that are mentioned here, I also used A Karas Kustoms Adapter (see last image below) to mount my 1947 Ford Square Spindles to the 1958 Buick Backing plates:
    20210112_.jpg 145141713_833260880565330_822778997388821779_n.jpg f332c3212247d722ca7ffb80ce5dbfb6.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Baumi, OFT, Ron Funkhouser and 4 others like this.
  22. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

^^^^^^Looks Great!!!^^^^^^

Was thinking about trying this combination of parts, I happen to have some nice Buick backing plates/drums......just need to find some adapter sleeves

fegsta likes this.
  23. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Back to top....
    Just picked up some backing plate adapters from Karas Kustoms,
    Looking for Buick Hub adapters if anybody has some they need to unload....

24. scotts52

scotts52

Can't believe I never saw this thread before. I'd sure like a set as well.

25. That's the procedure I used to adapt '70s Torino hubs & disk brakes to my '36 Willys spindles. Made the caliper brackets from 3/8" steel, made bearing spacers on a lathe. Been running them for 30 years.
    Brakes 1.jpg Brakes 2.jpg Brakes 3.jpg Brakes 4.jpg Spindle Spacer.jpg

RICH B likes this.