Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Back In The Day - Stickers - Stickers were your badge - showing what you got - your colors......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jan 30, 2021.

1. 55Belairman

55Belairman

I have the stickers, and I have a set of Highjackers on my 55 Chevy that I put on in 1978.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Here is one That has been around since my Youth. Apparently, I felt the need to add eyes, and a mustache. I had a larger one, but that one has vanished.

bml.jpg

loudbang, PoTaToTrUcK and juan motime like this.
  3. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Didn't Popeye say that?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Oilguy

Oilguy

Pretty beat up but it has survived since the late 60's. DSC08363.JPG DSC08367.JPG

wfo guy, loudbang, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Guy at work gave me this one a while back. 4x6 Detroit Sticker.jpg

loudbang, Lil32 and Oilguy like this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used to go into Jim Green's Performance Center in Lynnwood, Washington (He later moved the business to Monroe, Washington for a few years, before closing down completely); speed shop and machine shop combined. His own business stick was "Engine's By Cricket", with the picture reference to Jiminy Cricket. That had to be a reference to Jim. Young kids would come into the shop with their bicycles, "got any stickers", and he'd always give them a couple. Became a running joke with us "big kids", like me, when they'd ask, "can I help you?", "yeah, got any stickers?". They would't give us any! Dang! The only stickers I ever got came in the boxes of stuff I bought, and I bought a LOT of stuff there. Jim Green's Lynnwood is gone, Jim Green's Monroe is gone, and now Jim Green is gone, RIP. This was Jim Green of Green Elephant Funny Car fame. He was also into street rods, puller trucks, and collecting anything automobile related. I kinda wonder what happened to all of his stuff; his widow and disabled son probably had to liquidate most of it. That would make a fitting saying on his gravestone, "Got Any Stickers?"
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Popeye said "I Yam, what I Yam"

loudbang likes this.
  8. Technically these are my dad's but since his tool box is in my garage I am going to claim them.

The real deal not repops!
    upload_2021-2-5_19-10-47.png

Oilguy, loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Guess I need a larger Fridge. Never liked putting stickers on my vehicles, but just couldn't throw a good sticker in the trash...... P4020248.JPG

Oilguy and loudbang like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-24_4-26-55.png
    Hello,

When the top racers had great outfits, we tried to add to our versatility with the additions of our donated Wynn's Friction Proofing jackets. They were slightly warmer than a plain nylon windbreaker jacket. Needless to say, they drew attention and stares to our pits work and the Willys 671 Coupe. What a uniform, the colorful Wynn’s Friction Proofing jackets and Levis/white t-shirt combo. Add in desert boots and that was a team crew uniform.
    upload_2021-2-24_4-28-7.png
    “We had hopes to get some kind of sponsorship from Wynn’s by getting noticed with our Willys C/Gas Coupe and wearing those cool jackets around Lions Dragstrip. We did get asked by the STP guy if we were sponsored by Wynn’s. Ha!”
    upload_2021-2-24_4-28-24.png
    In August 1960, we lost one of the nylon jackets, but our friend from Los Angeles was able to get another one from his source. After drag racing was over, those bright jackets were perfect for those 100 mile Hare and Hound races out in the Mojave Desert. If one of us got stuck and we could not fix the desert motorcycle on the spot, those jackets could be seen for miles… hot dang!!!

Rescue was eminent, for sure. (no GPS or position locator back then) One or the other of our crew and friends would start out on the 50 mile, leg one and then continue to the other 50 mile leg to find the missing racer and bike. (with extra parts and food/water)

Jnaki

They looked nice, fit perfectly, and were warm enough to ward off those cold ocean breezes at Lions Dragstrip, in the afternoon and late night. But, they offered little to no protection in a fire. Nylon melts fast. They were also great (for flagging down help) out in the Mojave Desert on those 1 hour, 5-10 mile long continuous European Scrambles races.

If/when you got stuck with a pair of fouled plugs and no other spares, on any part of the spread out course, the bright Wynn's jacket was helpful. The European Scrambles courses could usually be seen from the highest point of the pits, but it was spread out over the 5-10 mile course.

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER