Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes it’s still Possible.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ill trade you those high end 327 JEs for them. Still trying to clean out the small shop at the house. Trying to get the 57 out of sight so I can work in peace at the end of the day gig.

2. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to box the set tomorrow. Had a weird headache last 2 days.. Checking all STD. Rings on is good, know grooves ok, not pinched.

3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ever heard of a stroked 302? I have one combo now that uses these pistons. Its a running son of a gun. Was a favorite combination around here in the 70s and early 80s in certain round track classes. Turns out that same combo will run like a rapped ape on the drag strip and it loves compression. Uses factory bottom end pieces that are usually given away.
    Got to love Uncle Marion Fairchild(RIP)/ and C.A. Simmons(RIP) they were into anything that won - FOR CHEAP. Gotta love em.

1Nimrod, catdad49, brEad and 5 others like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sure, they're well known as 327s or 350s :D

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

yes / and no / and not the way you think;)

6. Pop Chevy

Pop Chevy

BTW, that's a Hurst Super Shifter on the tranny. Really good piece.

1Nimrod, catdad49, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

ITS really solid and like new. No slack or slop. I would rate it right there with the Long shifter I have on my Doug Nash.

8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

STD's are a bitch, cause of your headache? Sorry couldn't resist.....

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Headache gone... :)
    Maybe I needed a corona beer...and wings. Pistons look like a set, will let you know if I find the spares that were on pink rods. These are early style with rounded barrel ground skirts, later versions had the sharp corner skirts.

They what looks luke a greenish coating. The later set did not.

Attached Files:

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I've run some sets that were made from 3 different brands/ and a milling machine makes them all look the same;). Fastest BBC I ever built was a 3 and 5 special. 3 pistons from one set/ 5 pistons from another set /and none of them from the block they came from. A good machinist is a powerful ally. He made them special:D. I've also knurled more than one set of used pistons( one set new)/ to fit them to a STD bore block that was a little loose. RUNS really well- The first Bowling Green motor was just that - remember it Doug
    Doug those will do well.
    I look at it like this. Reher Morrison ( one of them )said that in the early days they repeatedly would twist a SJ SBC factory rod well over ten grand- and they did very well - Until someone told them they weren't supposed to . Iv'e done a lot of that - Ill make due - work/sweat /bleed a little more - The win is all the more sweet.;) yep Uncle Marion still Lives;)

1Nimrod, catdad49, brEad and 5 others like this.
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Congrats!...good score...my car looked exactly like the one with the ok roof when I got it so to me it looks like you got 2 builders (and 1 parts car) lol!...the owner wouldn't budge off his 5K price tag and he wasn't going to build it either but there also wasn't another for sale in my area for years...sometimes you just have to step up to save them...
    [​IMG]
    the words junk and parts car are from the same era as the rally wheels lol
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/frozen-in-time-57-chev-aka-workin-outdoors-blues.1091355

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    1Nimrod, catdad49, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, BG. I remember the Dragster. 90s...I remember a 396 BBC My friends and I put together for an old Vega Race car, Dana60 ladderbar set up. All steel except hood. We took TRW pistons closed chamber 12.5:1, common rods from a 72 402, steel crank from a 65 396, closed chamber 65 heads we had wouldnt clear dome, so we found a set of 72 ovalports, big open chamber 2.06 smaller valves. Cam 425hp 427 crane solid flat tappet, stock rockers, small pushrods 72 402. No balancing...no head work a $99 valve job. Gave 3 pass warranty. $500 for Engine was only to sell car. Edlebrock 2-0 intake, holley 850dp that came with car on a 2in spacer. Accel CD Ignition It sounded so good...idle, rev easily to 7000rpm...cable drive tach, was amazed, smoothest running engine for not being balanced. Never leaked a drop of oil. Without getting trans brake or line lock working, it clicked off 11.65 @ 118mph back to back with no additional tuning. They loaded up car, and put it up for sale. The last pass they won the round....running the dial.. This was early 90s, now oval ports are the big deal...we just threw a combo together that worked. On street this would have been a nice running set up. Had both low and top end.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    1Nimrod, catdad49, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Isn’t it amazing when you have nothing to lose or just don’t know it isnt supposed to work. Lol

1Nimrod, catdad49, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  14. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the water, vega sounded like a Pro stock. Had people come over asking about the engine cuz it sounded so good. Headers that came with car wete Huge tubes, way bigger than stock heads, heck might of benefited. Spectators wondered why we were leaving at idle, pedal brake, no trans brake, line lock not holding. ;-)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I 2nd that emotion...in fact we are both probably trying to figure out shipping right now eh @Squablow ?

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Your front seats are '65-6 Mustang so recovering them with new aftermarket upholstery is a breeze ...a stock split bench goes for $8-1,200... around here but you really only need it if you want access to the back seat

1Nimrod and craig b blue like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Doug just got the pistons. WoW. I got several options. They will clean up nice.:cool:

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

All my pans have come in/ and my passenger rocker is on the way as well as a set of parking lenses. Mine are cloudy. I get a set of windows/ and the wind lace/sale panels be a bout ready. A local guy gave me a headliner he ordered as a pattern if he can find it.

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for the seat ID. Kinda had my suspicions but I am notorious for getting rid of a big heavy seat even on a street car. They will do for now. I have seen some later model seats that are actually light /comfy and cheap. I’ll not name the brand but my son and I both like them. And they don’t look out of place.
    Rocker came in. Driver side front fender moulding is on the way. Also. Now if I can just scare up door windows. I’d prefer used but as cheap as new is May just have to live with it.

1Nimrod, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

I would possibly like the Mustang seats if you’re not going to run them. I’ve got a coupe they will fit in.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Really nice find, I'd love to have a 55-57 post car. I redone a square body chevy truck and sold it, the glass was terrible in it. I took fine steel wool to all the glass and it looked like new. On that shifter, price a super shifter now, it will scare you to death!

1Nimrod, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Pit Bull might do that. May be a while though / need to see what the availability of the other seats are.If not Ill probobly do a quick recover and go from there. Shipping could be an issue unless you are going to be in this part of the world. Not so much the boxing / but the cost of shipping them.
    Mike you are right - If you think the Hurst is Bad - price the LONG shifter for my Doug Nash that I have up for sale - I've bought decent running cars and trucks for less.
    My door glasses are cracked /chipped . They gotta be replaced .

23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Gonna look at that fender today. Wondering wether I should leave it on and attempt or take it off and use my plywood mat and try to gently walk it back out. I have no desire to paint /change anything on the car.
    I had not realized all the duct work under the fenders. Lots of bolts
    Check out the ignition box. Think I m gonna leave it and even run a points distributor. Put a super coil on it and ride.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok note to self. The idea of removing the fender quickly was a joke. 3 1/2 hours later its off. I got the air ducts off and now I can gently work it back as I Need(I hope). Beginning to see why fiberglass/ flip front caps were real popular-lol.

1Nimrod, catdad49, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was popular to cut radiator support for Stockers and hot rodders without flip front ends making engine removal a snap. My wagon was cut.

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Pretty close. Got a low spot/ I got about 2 hours of dolly workin it slow and easy .I’ll get my shrinking hammer out tomorrow. Headed to the other shop now.

Attached Files:

27. Squablow

Squablow

I would have been tempted to put some heavy gloves on, put both feet against the tire and just pull the wheel arch out, figuring the dent would push out once the arch was back in place. But your method looks like it's giving better results.

Those front fenders have so much shit attached to them (even the front bumper brackets bolt directly to the fenders?!) I think buckling at the wheel arch is pretty common. The vent tubes don't do it any favors either. My '57 had a lot of similar issues, and not wanting to paint anything unless necessary presented some new challenges. Looks like you got the kink out without marring it up at all, that's a tough thing to do.

28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I have a few dollies that I grind to fit the required shapes. I also have 3 wooden body hammers made from bodock and Walnut that are more forgiving. I also have several body hammers that are very old. Some are much older than me. Most came from pawn shops etc. I also have a Wooden Stump that has Astro turf on it. Can even grind the shape for the perfect dolly. If it gets to knarly I just burn it in the heater and get another.

29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch, what rear end in that 57, Chevy, or Olds, Pont.

1Nimrod, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Stock rear. 3:55 posi. Would love a 57 olds with a 3:73- 4:11.