Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Oldsmobile 303 rear engine oil leak Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Feb 3, 2021.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've got a customer's car here . It's a 1950 Olds 88 with the 303 and 3 speed . It was previously taken out at another shop and resealed And cleaned up and painted . There is a pretty bad oil leak coming from the bellhousing Seems like it's behind the flywheel of course. Nothing is dripping down the oil pan which makes me think it's above the crank . Is there a oil plug Back there Or something that could be Leaking ? Anybody have a picture Of the back of a 303 Oldsmobile ? I'm going to pull the starter and the starter Lower bell housing right now to see what I can see Thanks

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Rear main crankshaft seal ?

Paul likes this.
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yes there are plugs behind the flywheel, but if the previous shop just did a reseal and paint I would suspect the pan gaskets, and or the rear seal.

saltracer219 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  4. How is the engine set up for crankcase venting? Make sure the breather filter (maybe in the oil filler cap) isn't plugged up. If there's a road draft tube make sure it's air flow isn't restricted.

stillrunners likes this.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Found the problem all . It is the oil pan gasket Leaking from the seal And where the seal meets the two cork gaskets at the rear . Got a pan gasket kit ordered for tomorrow And I'll redo it . The venting is properly done on the car , Has the filler tube And the proper Road draft tube which is nice and open Not clogged up. Thanks for the Info guys But I really would like to see a picture of the back of one of these motors without the flywheel on it Just for curiosity

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

When I dropped the pan I noticed the previous installer didn't put the 2 cork squares on either side of the main cap.whoops!

stillrunners likes this.