Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When I got back from di Falco's on Saturday, I was feeling particularly inspired. My plan was to take another stab at the brakes on Sunday. Well, after a little bit of thought, I decided to simply jack the car up in the garage and dig in on Saturday evening. Why not? Eat some dinner, cue up some good tunes and get to work.
    IMG_2937.jpg
    This time around, I started with fresh materials. Game changer, that's for sure.
    IMG_2938.jpg
    Note the difference in angles between the old (top) and the new (bottom). The new link worked much better with the Flathead Ted floaters. IMG_2951.jpg Technical.
    IMG_2958.jpg

Dannerr, Outback, JJGA and 10 others like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Sunday evening, I took on the passenger side. As I'm sure you can imagine, it went much smoother. I now have a much better understanding of Model A brake systems. When it was all said and done, I could tear down the whole assembly in a jiffy. (As I had to on several occasions to make adjustments).

Before. IMG_2972.jpg
    During.
    63383501637__EE88E99D-484A-4F9B-B10A-AD11F18C1299.jpg
    After.
    IMG_2978.jpg
    Brake drums courtesy of @SAVAGE from the early days of this thread. Thanks again, Aaron!

Dannerr, JJGA, winduptoy and 11 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday the car was back on all four wheels and I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. It rolled. Everything was properly lubricated and the bearings were greased. Time for bed, right? Well, not exactly. Me being me, I pushed the car out in the driveway, turned on the fuel and cranked it over. I let the engine warm up before jumping behind the wheel. I had never driven it at night, but I planned to just go down the terrace and back. No traffic, no problem. I switched on the headlights and rolled backwards towards the neighbors' garage. I pressed down on the brake and slowed down a little bit. It took a lot of pedal pressure.

Nonetheless, I shifted into first and rumbled down the terrace. I was approaching the main street and needed to stop. Well, I pressed on the pedal and, once again, slowly came to a stop. I was very unimpressed. "All this work," I said to myself, "and this is what I get?" Well, when I went to make my three-point turn to head back home, I threw it into third instead of reverse and took a quick diversion up on the sidewalk. Oh! No harm, no foul. Into reverse I went, then into first for my drive back into the driveway.

One thing was clear: more fine tuning was necessary. I continued to tinker with the top adjusters, and then I installed the accessory brake lever return spring, which seemed to help clean up a great deal of slop. (It was also just about the easiest piece of the whole car to install. A real confidence booster!)

During lunch the following day, I went for another terrace test drive. I pumped the brakes while rolling down the driveway and the car stopped quickly. Down the street I went, giving it gas and then coming to a stop. Not a whole lot of pedal pressure was needed. On my way back up the street, I tried a panic stop. Skrrrrrt. The front tires skidded on the asphalt. I laughed as they chirped. Not quite a smokey stop like in the Flathead Ted videos, but very cool nonetheless. I'll chalk that up as a win. I'll tackle the rear brakes later in the build.

This is by no means a perfect setup, but I feel like it should work until I drop in the V8. For those wondering, here's a list of my front brake components.

2 x Stock Model A hubs, equipped with welded reinforcement bands (for heat dissipation) and turned to 0.020 and 0.035 by Jeff Adkins of Moose Motors
    4 x New Timken bearings, races installed by Jeff Adkins
    4 x Reproduction brake shoes with riveted woven linings, turned to the radius of the drums on a brake lathe by Jeff Adkins
    4 x New lower brake springs
    2 x New brake wedges
    4 x New brake adjuster links
    2 x Inner brake rods
    1 x Flathead Ted Deluxe Full floater kit
    All new cotter pins
    Lubriplate No. 110 grease on pivot points
    High-Temp, waterproof Green Grease for bearings and spindles

As the build continues, I will let you guys know how these parts are holding up.

Dannerr, JalopyJimbo, Gnater and 15 others like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So, with the brakes done for the time being, I was able to reward myself by working on what may very well be the most exciting aspect of the build—hopping up the engine. Even though it was a pretty long weekend of wrenching on the car, I couldn't help but keep going.
    IMG_3005.jpg
    It was a stormy one in San Francisco on Monday night. With a staccato of raindrops hitting the garage roof and the usual water leaking in, I started tearing things down. I'll admit that it was a little bit strange undoing some of my own work from this past summer. Off with the exhaust, which I sprayed with high-temp barbecue paint out on Turk Street late one night. I remember having to shake the can sparingly so I didn't wake the neighbors. Off with the carb that I rebuilt a handful of times and the steel fuel line that I painted copper within the first few weeks of having this thing. I carried the pieces up the stairs to the back portion of the garage.
    IMG_3006.jpg
    Then the fun began. Header. Intake. Carb. Velocity stack. Yes!
    IMG_3007-1.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg First impression: I love it. All this stuff looks way better on the car than it did hanging on my wall/sitting on a shelf/acting as a very stylish paperweight on my desk. Other thoughts: I need to buy new intake/exhaust studs, which I plan to order tomorrow.

One thing that took me by surprise is how low the header dumps. At first I asked myself why they did it that way. Then I realized that it's just about as close to the frame as they could make it and still work around all the stock Model A items. It clears the front wishbone, rear engine mount and brake stuff with room to spare. If it were any higher, a pipe running straight back wouldn't clear the rear wishbone. I'm thinking that if my A had full fenders/splash aprons, the collector would be just barely visible underneath. It's kinda funky and not perfect, but I think it'll be great for what I'm trying to do here.

Also, I got a killer pair of NOS Fenton glasspacks that are most definitely of the era.
    IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg
    You know I already looked it up.
    IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg
    And some perfect pipes from David off a flathead-powered '39 Ford. Dig the exhaust hangers.
    IMG_2947.jpg
    I spent the final part of last night's garage session playing with exhaust configurations. I really want both pipes to exit out the back underneath the license plate. I do have somewhat of a plan. Here are some fun initial mock-ups.
    IMG_3014.jpg
    I'm leaning towards this. Also, I'm stoked that I own this many jack stands. Thank you Craigslist and NextDoor!
    IMG_3016.jpg
    I'm thinking that this is how the builder intended for the pipes to be set up. It's really straightforward and would add some visual interest to the driver's side. The only drawback for me is that—unless I capped them—it would get pretty complex for me to make them exit out the rear. Yama is going to teach me how to TIG weld in the coming weeks, and he and I are going to try making this system ourselves. I know he has the skills, but for my own sake I say the simpler the better! Besides, stuff like this can always change.
    IMG_3018.jpg
    Well, that does it for my weekend update. Money is tight right now, so I'm going to spend my time listing some small things for sale and focusing on low-buck elements of the build. I'm thinking this week/weekend I'll clean up the engine bay, paint the firewall and get going on the throttle linkage.

I know I always say it, but thank you everyone for sticking with this thread. Oh, one last thing, you know I couldn't resist mocking up my Cragar cover. What do you think, @Six Ball?
    IMG_3020.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool Kid.

Watch out for that ankle / calf burning exhaust gettin' in and out..

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had knee surgery in '69 after I tore my right knee up in a HS wrestling match. Spent a week in the hospital on drugs and left with a cast from my hip to my ankle. Fast forward to a few years ago when I had a total knee replacement on my left knee. Walked out of the hospital the next day with a boat load of metal staples in my knee. Only needed Ibuprofen and in less then a week I was driving my '39 p/u with a 3 speed stick to physical therapy. Not to say your surgery will be a walk in the park but knee surgery has come a long way. Good luck and do the physical therapy as directed and I'm sure you'll be fine.

winduptoy, Budget36, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

See how cool that cover looks? :cool:

J.Ukrop, Jrs50 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'd go with a light blast on that cover. No need to remove the original character and make it show quality perfect if you aren't doing polished SS exhaust and other over the top modern details.

Also, just a thought, hand paint the firewall, like a broke kid in the 30s.

Outback, loudbang, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  9. Those collected parts look right at home on your roadster. Well done!! I enjoy so much reading your updates. I'm so jealous that you can run down and work on your car. I hope to get back up and running soon. You're inspiring me!!

Going to start a build thread today. Let's see how that goes.

Thanks for all the updates. It's great reading!!

10. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I hope you used stay lube 3131 on the rear wheel bearings non fibrous grease will not stay in place for long and will let both the bearings and axle housings get damaged.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks! Just like my ol' Honda Scrambler!

I love it.

I like the light blast idea. The checkerboard concept is neat! I feel like the car already has a lot of patterns and tones going on, so I'm gonna go with straight off white/cream.

Thank you! Good luck with the recovery. I'll be following your build!

I used Green Grease for the fronts, which I was told works very well for boat trailer wheel bearings. Should I re-do them with Sta-Lube 3131? I haven't done the rears yet.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow! I posted all this crap before I saw your progress. That all looks great and it's fun to see the badly scattered roadster project coming together. I have a short video to post later that you brake shoe smile reminds me of. Good work!

Maybe there was a big counter weight in there that ran a car lift inside, then to lower the car and lift the weight back into place they would hold a Mamma Cass look-a-like contest and put them in the car.

"I've found some strange things stashed away in Berkeley—including a very crusty chopper wedged between a shed and a fence. It was about nine feet long and hadn't seen the light of day in at least 40 years. That's a story for another day."

In '70 I traded my '49 Chevy pickup in on a new Blazer at Val Strough on Broadway in Oakland, 3 or 4 blocks from our house. When we moved to Nevada in '72 I left a big stash of Chevy pickup parts under our flat off of Piedmont Ave. In '75 or '76 I bought my '53 pickup and it needed parts. On a trip to the Bay Area I went by our old place and was happily surprised to find my stash still there and the current resident happy to help me load it, a heaping pickup load! There is a lot still sitting around in that city.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahaha this reminds me of someone I knew who strategically "left" a bicycle at their old house, only to occasionally come retrieve it, use it and then put it back. Also in Oakland!

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just saying....
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/checker-board-firewalls-lets-see-some.1006426/
    Each added part or change is moving toward a cohesive whole. You will probably have to do something to the firewall to get the V8 happy anyway, judging from posts here. This could be a 'try it for now' deal.
    Doesn't matter if you plan on brush or spray, use aluminum foil to mask off the engine if you aren't going to move the engine or body. It will give more clearance between the two than paper (more form-fitting).

Are you going to do a curlicue fuel line to match that coil lead?

15. Slick Jimmy

Slick Jimmy
    from Eden NY

Thanks for sharing your build, it is an inspiration for me. Nice job!

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am a big fan of soaking aluminum and carbs in lemon pine sol and water, rather than blast. It gets them clean without damaging parts.

I for one hate checkered firewalls. Seems a dumb moder fad.

winduptoy, guitarguy, Tim and 5 others like this.
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That aluminum foil idea is genius. I'll grab some at the grocery store tomorrow. We'll see about the curlicue on the fuel line. I'm going to be running mostly hardline with segments of rubber hose at potentially stressful points, and I'm going to mock it up a few different ways. It's all about the details, right?!

Thank you for following along! I'm learning more every day, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it too.

Great advice. Sounds pretty fresh!

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I managed to buy the Sta-Lube 3131 wheel bearing grease and the longer intake/exhaust studs. My 3/8ths steel line from Eastwood showed up, so now I have all the essential pieces to get going on the fuel system. It appears as if the Holley fuel pump will tuck nicely inside the framerail, so that's good news too. Since I took a total of zero hot rod photos today, here's an old one of the car out on the streets of San Francisco. IMG_1976.jpg

Dannerr, AHotRod, winduptoy and 12 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday the sun was shining and I was itching to see how the car looked out in the driveway with all its speed equipment. So, I rolled it out of the garage and took a few photos. I'm liking the way it's coming together. You'll note that it has the DeLuxe windsheild frame back on it; the chromed one is with David in Petaluma. He's taking a look at it to determine the best way forward. I trust his judgement 100%.

I apologize in advance for the less-than-picturesque background. Just trying to make the best with what I have!
    IMG_3059.jpg
    YOM plate in position. I never really noticed how it almost matches the plug wires.
    IMG_3062.jpg
    I'm a big fan of the header. The "Bologna Slicer" stack came from @Pat Pryor of Muroc Manufacturing.
    IMG_3064.jpg
    Hot rod stuff.
    IMG_3050.jpg
    Mocking up the taillight and license plate. Jacket on ground for insurance.

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lastly, I wanted to see it with the hood in place and the mufflers closer to position. With the chopped windshield back on, this is going to be the look! That being said, I'll probably run it without a hood as I work out the bugs of the new system. IMG_3065.jpg
    My only other real piece of information to report is that I have been studying the instruction booklet for the tubing flaring tool. I'll probably do some test pieces this weekend!

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is the look! I like the hood on look. You don't always have to show everything off, that is why we wear pants. I'm also a fan of the Model A radiator shell. A painted truck one might look good?

22. That is a great look!! Every time you add something it gets better and better. You carefully select pieces and it shows. It looks just right!!

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Weld some nuts on the backside on the header flange to make it easier to disconnect one side of the exhaust pipe for a gain of at least 10 HP.

24. 97

OK first things first, whether they are operated n by rod, cable or hydraulics , new brake linings take time and miles to wear in, even when you have them radius ground.
    They always feel odd the first few applications and they get better and better over a few hundred miles.
    Secondly the rears need to be done at the same time to make the adjustments/brakes work properly. ALL play in every rod end and clevis needs to be at minimum ...
    Interestingly a page a Ford Garage provides this information about new pushrods....I make my own!
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/frontbrakepins.htm
    I can promise you, once worn in , the rod brakes with Teds floaters will work perfectly well , IMHO they are good enough for a mild/stock flathead on the street...
    A Ford factory brake bulletin
    https://modelagarage.com/service_bulletin/brake-adjustment/

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man. Got roadster fever bad this winter

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

guy near me just gave up on a '30-'31 roadster... $7,500.00... ?
    and a running '30 pick up ... $7,500.00 ... ?

27. 97

When I owned an exhaust shop back in the eighties, I learned that once the headers are on, to work from the back forward with the exhaust system. The part that really counts is what you see, in the style you want . BUT even more important is that the tail pipes clear everything . i.e get the tail pipes where you want them, make some hangers and hang them properly ......finished . Then make the rest of the largely unseen system to join the front to the back.

If it were me I would just make a couple of turnouts and bolt them on to the header...no muffler, no tail pipe , but then I am an old hoon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon

28. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Joey, I haven’t checked in here in forever and what do you know your build thread is the first one I see! Looking great man. I’m excited for ya!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I agree with the hood part. It really helps the lines. IMHO when it has the hood and the top on, it really comes to life. It'll just be a top-down machine until I get the irons! I never thought about a commercial shell...could be a good choice. I have sentimental attachment to this one because it's the first hot rod part I brought home, and the quail (courtesy of @winduptoy) works well with the stainless.

IMG_3812.jpg
    Feels like yesterday, doesn't it?

Thank you! As you know, it takes a lot of searching to find the right parts. I've had a few of these stockpiled for months and it feels good to finally have them bolted on to the car!

Hahah I can't tell if you're being serious. I need all the horsepower I can get.

Great advice. I thought I read somewhere that you should drive 100 miles with the new fronts before doing the back. Maybe that's because they figure you'll need a rest after doing tackling the fronts. I know I did! Hahaha

Once I get the fuel system and linkages sorted out, I'll do the rear brakes. As it sits, the car isn't going anywhere for a little bit.

Good prices if they're in good shape. Not like I'm on the market for another one!

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and Six Ball like this.
  30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you so much for the advice. I wish you lived closer so you could help me weld it all together! I will go forward with that information in mind.

I too am an hoon, but I am going to run with mufflers for the time being. I ran straight pipes on my Triumph chopper and that got really old really quickly. Yes, I know that's a completely different beast. When this car is back together, I plan to drive it every day. When I'm slinking in after a late night of debauchery, I'd rather not wake up the neighbors—they're really nice to me!

Hell yeah Tom! I can't let you guys have all the fun with old cars. Next time you're out here, I'll take you for a ride. I've been enjoying seeing your new sedan project. It rules! Looks like the perfect machine for a...H.A.M.B. Drags road trip?

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and Tim like this.