Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master Cylinder question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TABLAY, Jan 31, 2021.

1. TABLAY

TABLAY

I installed a new power Master cylinder in my 53 Chevy "Gasser" build. Its a disc to drum unit. I ended up finding and installing an 8.8 Ford rear with discs already set up. Question, what is the difference between a drum/disc vs disc/disc master cylinder? Can I use really just use what I got? Do I need a special proportioning valve?

While I'm asking, what is the correct size brake line to use for rear disc? rear drums? front discs? Is there a formula depending on rotor diameter, length of line, etc?

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The disc/disc master will have nearly or the the same size fluid reservoirs and no internal residual valve. The drum reservoir is really marginal for a disc axle.
    Common line size is 3/16" OD for the majority of pass cars/light trucks.
    Most disc/disc vehicles used proportioning so you may or may not need one.
    Just make sure you can bottom out the master cylinder before the pedal runs out of travel.

3. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Go to Wilwood's site. If you don't find an answer, contact them.

4. Basically you have more residual pressure on drum brakes than on disc brakes. You really want a proper master. or an older master without built in residual pressure valves.

5. jimvette59

jimvette59

Get a Disk to Disk M/S for the rear. JMHO

6. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I converted the rear drums to discs. It was a waste of money. It's better to invest in better front brakes, where most of your braking power is (unless you spend a lot of time driving in reverse). Rear discs, however, can be an improvement on a track car that sees a lot of hard braking, where discs are less likely to fade.

BigChief and ClayMart like this.
  7. brading

brading

If your master is under the floor you will need Residual Pressure Valves. If it is firewall mounted you should not need them.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

As to reservoir and line size a very small amount of fluid actually moves when you apply the brakes. With disks as pads wear more fluids end up staying in the calipers But of you check the fluid at oil changes an small reservoir will be OK.

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

The front brakes do most of your stopping.

10. Bob Woods

Bob Woods

wanting to put a brake booster and brake cylinder on my truck. The question is, I only have 7" between the firewall and the Carburetor. If I could find the master and booster seven inches from the firewall out, that would work. Has Anyone run into this dilemma?

11. brading

brading

Bob have you got enough room to fit an under dash system like this. Click on Brake Example then click on 90 Degree

https://kugelkomponents.com/

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you really need a booster?

scotty t, bchctybob and pitman like this.
  13. Call Master power and see if the master you have has a 10lb. residule valve in the rear portion. If it does, you will need to change it out. A 10lb. valve would cause brake drag at all times on the rear. Anytime you have a firewall mounted master cylinder, discs normally won't need any residual valve at all. There is no need to run anything other than 3/16" brakeline everywhere. It has adequate volume and pressure loss to be the best choice.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rockable likes this.
  15. jimvette59

jimvette59

You could use a remote Power booster from a 56 T Bird . JMHO
    Sorry for the misprint it was a brain fart.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  16. 54vicky

54vicky

never seen a remote master unless you mean the power unit but that was not a master.^^^^^

17. Bob Woods

Bob Woods

I have mechanical brakes the Master cylinder is all that was installed. The question, if I install a new master cylinder with a proportioning valve would this give me better braking?

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have disc/drum. Wilwood 4piston front and their MC. 8.8 Explorer rear with 11” drums from a F-150. No Booster. Works great. Wilwood has excellent tech. Helped with even the rear wheel cylinders. Best to know you pedal ratio before you call them. They even have 6 piston front calipers.

19. brading

brading

You could fit the M/C to the firewall and use a remote duel cylinder booster.

20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your first post led me to believe you had to keep the master cylinder close to the firewall, and not using a booster would help. Now I'm really confused because of the mechanical brakes! You need to clarify your brake system and exactly what you want to do. :)

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Bob Woods You should start a new thread with your questions rather than hijacking this one. Some of the responses to YOUR questions might confuse the guy that started this one.

Mechanical brakes have no master cylinder. Hydraulic brakes do. When you start the new thread, make sure you tell us what kind of brakes you have on the front and rear of your vahicle.

22. 54vicky

54vicky

ain't that the truth amazing how many do the same shit ^^^^

23. Bob Woods

Bob Woods

I did start a new thread and did not highjack anything. That is what I don't like about asking a question, you seem to always get a smart a*s

24. jimvette59

jimvette59

Yes I did that was a brain fart !!!!!

25. 54vicky

54vicky

if you look back you did try to take over the original by (tabley)then others started to answer you and ignored the original.happens all the time then they wonder where the hell the ones that could help just shrug their shoulders or have left for other venues sad

26. Budget36

Budget36

At the forum page in the near top right is “post new thread “ in red. That way you create your own topic by itself.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I don't want to be a smart ass, but you did stick the following question right in the middle of this thread. See post #10 above. That's basically what hijacking is.

Like @Budget36 said above, to start a new one:
    New Thread.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021