Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed on part i.d.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Feb 3, 2021.

1. 20210203_181005.jpg 20210203_181018.jpg 20210203_205559.jpg 20210203_205649.jpg Im hoping the hamb community can provide some inside on this part. I picked up this really cool G- meter today. I have never seen this brand before. Its about four inches across. It has a screw on the back for calibration. I think the screw is used for adjustment based on its mounting angle. I believe a pendulum swings inside moving the needle. If anyone has info on how this works or how to calibrate it that would be great. I'm thinking its a 60s piece based on the lettering font and colors on the face. The needle it free and moves. On the way home I held it on the dash and hit the gas. The needle moved as I accelerated. This looks like its for a automotive application not aviation because of the base. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

loudbang and Hollywood-East like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats a weird one. Course it did come from L.A. I have one that mounts on the windshield with suction cups. It also measures decelleration. Never seen one like that. I mean like a tach. Lippy

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Shelby Cobras had a similar gauge.
    accelerometer1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and what purpose would they serve? To let you know when you are about to pass out from G-forces?

6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

The Shelby unit was advertised as being useful in gauging the effect of aftermarket parts when added to the car but the general consensus was that it was just for the cool factor.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Accelerometer. Interesting. A gauge I had never considered using... until now.
    I need a bigger dashboard.

8. jaracer

jaracer

Used to use an decelerometer when we did brake balance testing on tractor trailer rigs.

mad mikey, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now we use 60 foot times. I can't say I've ever really seen one, or at least payed much attention if I have. WOW! 2K Canadian! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Brian, you won’t have time to look at driving the Coupe;)

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A new "kneeknocker" Brian?

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  12. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

For a while back in the late 70's thru the 80's they marketed some primitive computerized digital one's and they were pretty popular for a while,they would measure not only accel/decel but lateral G also,I always thought they were a little hokey,but this one is cool as hell and obviously from the 60's maybe very early 70's.I've seen other gage type accessories with the monarch name brand.Based on the looks of it and the Cobra unit I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by the same outfit and just branded differently.

13. Its going in the coupe for some fun. I will have to put the go pro on it to record the action. There is just something about it that screams cool to me so I have to try it. I have been going through old car magazines and speed shop catalogs and can't find any info. A Google search of the name shows a place in California. I'm going to call them to see if anyone knows something.

14. At least the rim looks like it was made by Faria Instruments from Connecticut.

seb fontana likes this.
  15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

That gauge will be the cherry on top for your coupe. Here's a pic of the guts, pretty simple.
    DSCF5614 (1).JPG

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty cool.
    But wouldn't a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror do basically the same thing?
    I'm sorry. Don't hit me.

grumpy65, egads, LWEL9226 and 3 others like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Seen that at the track.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    loudbang and Rickybop like this.
  18. 5window

5window

Seems odd that the mounting hole? is drilled through the name.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Once you get it mounted to the coupe, I want a picture of when you peg it out!

mad mikey, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  20. lowrd

lowrd

Didn't Kirk have one on the Enterprise?

21. ironrodder

ironrodder

I've got a feeling in the coupe that needle will resemble the needle in a tach in a fuel burner.
    That's been discussed before.

loudbang likes this.
  22. TCTND

TCTND

Point it straight down. Adjust it to 1G. It will be perfectly calibrated.

loudbang and Beanscoot like this.
  23. 5window

5window

Not quite. Gravity varies with latitude, the mass of the earth where you are measuring and your actual distance from the center of the Earth via the formula 1/R2 where R is the radius of the Earth where you are standing. But, I knew you were kidding. :)

loudbang likes this.
  24. Just as a thought, and ya'll can ignore this if you choose to.. but you can download a number of apps to put on your phone that will do the same thing.. I got a similar one called "Drag Racer".. pretty cool. don't know if it does "g-forces" or not but I'm sure there are some that do it...just a thought.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ There were "milk men" before Amazon.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. There's probably an app on my iPhone for that...if I could find it.

loudbang likes this.
  27. I would put that in my car, just for the "fun" factor. I like it!

loudbang likes this.
  28. I'm thinking I can use it to help tune the traction control when the car is on the street were there are no 60 foot timers. It will be fun to play with. I'm sure its going to start alot of conversations next year.

loudbang likes this.
  29. BJR

BJR

There is no such thing as gravity .....the earth sucks.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There is a monarch industries they makes an industrial accelerometer listed on the web , no idea if there's any connection ..

loudbang likes this.