Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who could build a hotrod without the power of the H.A.M.B.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Feb 3, 2021.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

People have been doing it for over 90 years. Not a problem. I've been building customs for over 40, way more complicated than a hotrod. Before the HAMB, before the internet even!!!!!!

19Eddy30, AHotRod, egads and 6 others like this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Being a car guy forever, thinking Hot Rod magazine, other magazines was an influence, growing up going to race tracks all summer and well into my 40's helped fuel the fire. I've been a member since 2009 and I enjoy the HAMB for the picture threads, some of the tech is good, for me it's interesting reading other car guy thoughts and experiences.. I'm sure 99% of the Hot Rods built did it without the HAMB and we call it "Traditional" here, "Timeless" was the word I heard way back in regards to old style and the car hobby has gone through several phases in my lifetime. I agree the HAMB helps guys out today, an asset for today on the internet, I like YouTube myself, very helpful in any subject you need info on.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its definitely " full of it here" !! LOL. :D

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who could have ham n eggs without the ham?

Shit, never mind. Wrong forum...:confused:

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

I honestly don't think I coulda done it. I got the technical instruction, the parts I needed in the classified section & more importantly, the psychological support.

6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Could Have Very Well Used The H.A.M.B. In My Formative Years...And Do Now.. IMG_0101.jpg

7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

For me the hamb isn't something that I couldn't do it otherwise, but it certainly helps to do it right, and do it the first time. Definitely save trial and error by accessing the experience of others.

As HRP said too, the classifieds are awesome. I spend at least a little pooper time daily browsing through cars and parts. TMI alert....

olscrounger and Blues4U like this.
  8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Yes there was magazines and books prior to the internet, but I can google a question and get answers in seconds, not have to search 10 or more years of back issues to find an answer I almost am sure is in here somewhere. Thank you Ryan.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Been building cars since the 60's on my own, with no help from the HAMB, or anyone else. I like reading threads here, but don't need the HAMB to build cars.

egads, wicarnut, papadaddio and 3 others like this.
  10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I "needed" was Hot Rod Magazine and Rod and Custom in the early 70's, later there was Rod Action and Street Rodder and they both offered info that a newby like me needed. I wonder, in hindsight, how I did as well as I did, good thing I grew up on a farm and didn't know how much I didn't know:) Here I am in about 73 or 74. Note, the dog was "Sandy Dog", a pretty darn nice dog, so twelve years ago when I got married (third time) my new bride brought another yellow lab, "Mattie Dog" and she was even better. I miss Mattie Dog. 38 side_0003.jpg

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

This place is certainly a game changer. Before, a lot of the information came from the magazines but if you couldn't glean it from the pictures and the text, you missed out some key steps. Here, someone posts something, and if you don't quite get it; you ask questions and more than likely; they will respond. There are also some truly innovative ideas expressed and suddenly everyone's game has gone up a notch.

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built two of what would be considered HAMB friendly and three post '65 that I would consider hot rods long before the internet existed. Back then it seemed like there were a lot more folks willing to lend a hand and share experience in person than there is now.

And nobody gave you shit about "doing it that way" either. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    19Eddy30, AHotRod, egads and 4 others like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good thread, lot's of good input. Of course people built a lot of great cars before the internet, before the HAMB, but there was a lot of crap built too. And think of all the unfinished projects out there, from people way in over their heads. Or all the rolling accidents waiting for a place to happen.

The amount of information and help available here, and the ease of access, makes it incredibly helpful and informative. And you all are a part of that, all of your input for which you get nothing but a "thank you" or maybe a Like, sometimes not even that, but you do it anyway because you like to share. I've personally learned a shit ton of good, high quality information here, this place is amazing, the skills of some of you guys blows my mind.

The fact that you can connect with and get advice from some legends in the hot rod scene, and some guys with incredible talents and skills, is invaluable. You could never get that with magazines back in the day. Oh sure, you could write in to the tech editor, and maybe they'd take your letter for an issue, but considering the number of letters they'd get the odds were against it. And you'd be waiting maybe a couple of months in the meantime. Or, if you went to one of the big shows you might get lucky enough to run across somebody in the know, and if your timing was right you might get a chance to pick their brains a little. But here you can reach out to guys like, well I hate to start naming names, because sure as shit I'll leave somebody off and unintentionally insult them, but you all know the names of the guys I'm taking about.

Thanks to Ryan for putting this place up, and keeping it going; and all the admins doing the dirty work of keeping the place cleaned up and on focus.

19Eddy30, AndersF and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since my "T" is registered with a '65 Minnesota "Homebuilt" title, I could. What the H.A.M.B. has done for me is clarified my view of the hobby. I knew I didn't like pastel colors, weird graphics, 22" wheels and stuff like that, but it wasn't until the H.A.M.B. that it all came together under the term "Traditional".

Now, I get it.

15. low down A

low down A

could you just imagine how bad it was to actually have to go out in the world to those old machine and speed shop's to find what you were looking for ? instead of just typing your question at home

16. Sure we could. But this forum makes it easier and it ups your game.
    Experience is the best teacher but someone else's experience is a good second.

17. I'm hardly a builder, the HAMB has helped me focus on a cohesive plan and offered plenty of info. I'm barely on the fringes of HAMB land tho

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have. But, the HAMB would have saved a lot of time and trouble. The old guy running the salvage/junk yards had the answer to about any question back in the days. They knew what fit and didn't and what could be swapped from one make or model to another.

19. I was playing cars and motorcycles several decades prior to the HAMB. We used to have to dial up a friend or think about it for a while then dial up a friend.

wicarnut, chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

In the late 70’s and early 80’s these were my main references. IMG_1440.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

X-cpe, AHotRod, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  21. papajohn

papajohn

Vern Tardel.
    He could build a hotrod without the power of the HAMB.
    Just saying.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

On here, I could learn how build the Mysterion. In Rod & Custom, I got a Joe Henning cartoon.

willys36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. When my father and I were putting my F-100 together both the H.A.M.B. and the internet did not exist ( not created that is) . When I joined this forum I realized that I could have used the great wealth of knowledge and wisdom to help with my build.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Budget36, wicarnut and Blues4U like this.
  24. I've been building hot rods for the past 63 years.....started when I was 12 years old, tinkering on my brother's cars, learning by taking things apart and seeing how they work ......all my projects were done long before HAMB existed......including my current rides.

I use HAMB as a great "social" outlet, lots of interesting stuff by like-minded guys, and maybe an inspiration to get out in the shop and get creative.

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well said Blues!!

26. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Back in the day you had magazines or a more experienced buddy to help out, or you f___ed up and redid it or just lived with it. That being said I have learned more on HAMB in a shorter time than before. and I have upped my game A lot, thank you.

Budget36, chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was some trial and error back then. When I first built my "T", I used quarter-elliptic rear springs for space reasons. I built it with two short triangulated torque arms that were rigidly mounted to the rear end and went straight forward to two tie rod ends mounted to a sturdy crossmember. It looked good to me, but there was no articulation at all; it only went up and down. Within the first 100 miles, one of the two tie rod sleeves broke clean off. Luckily, I was able to nurse it back home. I changed it by remounting the torque arms to meet right under the front universal joint, terminating in one large Heim joint. I never had a problem after that.

I mention this only because there have been a couple of occasions where guys were making a rear suspension just like my first one. In these cases I have tried to point out the problems with this method and most of them understood what the problem was.

19Eddy30, Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Knowledge man! And the willingness to share it, that’s what this place is all about.

19Eddy30, Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have and could build a hot rod without the HAMB, although the HAMB is and has been a fantastic source of inspiration, encouragement and information.

That said, it does also have a tendency to instill a feeling that what I'm building should meet traditional criteria. I'm not quite the traditional purist as many on here might be, but there's a certain pressure to keep it "HAMB friendly" just in case I'd like to post a photo or give an update on a project. Just to be clear I'm a whole lot closer to "patina" than I am "billet". :D

I'd probably get a little more done though if I was on the HAMB less.

Lynn

loudbang, AndersF and chryslerfan55 like this.