Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Unlike Customs, most hot rods have limited space so~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 3, 2021.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Mine’s under the passenger floor in the coupe. Lift the carpet, remove one screw and battery is exposed after lifting the small floor section above it. Works for me!

2. Lil32

Lil32

I have an Odyssey PC 925 battery mounted up under dash of coupe
    very small,does not hang down below dash line and cannot be seen unless lying on floor of coupe

3. Mine are probably in the most tipical locations too. The 31 sedan and 34 sedan delivery both have side mount batteries. They're mounted under the floor, and in front of the passengers seat. Access is from a small door under the carpet, or access from under the car. 035.jpg My 29 coupe is in mounted in the trunk. Our 56 Nomad is just stock under the hood. They all have emergency cut off switchs.:) Ron..........

4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

When I was rewiring....Odyssey PC 680 on the firewall.
    DSC00967.JPG

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20210121_160536.jpg . I'm mounting it in the back of the bed

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

When I designed and built my Coupe, I made a bolt-in battery tray that is under the trunk floor, tucked nicely between the ladder bar, rear end housing and pinion. So I made the trunk floor hinged to access it with no drama.
    I hope this is of some help for someone.

B6.jpeg

B5.jpeg

B3.jpeg

B2.jpeg

B1.jpeg

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Under the back seat in my T

HOTRODPRIMER and Lil32 like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wear mine on my belt. I do worry when I travel. Always afraid of somewhere less gun friendly. Keep in mind, there is a law about hidden compartments. I can't quote it, but do your research. You don't want to get lumped in with the bad guys.

seadog, Hnstray, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

In a battery box in the trunk of my '40.

HOTRODPRIMER, Lil32 and 3W JOHN like this.
  10. primed34

primed34

In the trunk in my '34 coupe.

11. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Under the passenger floor of my 30 coupe, a mirror image of the stock location.

Phil

HOTRODPRIMER, Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. The battery in my F-100 is under the floor in front of the passenger seat.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. On my A PU, I have a dropout box between the frame rails, but I brought a positive cable forward to the firewall and attached it to an isolated lug with cover to use anytime a jump was needed. A similar lug was used as a ground. This makes up for otherwise difficult access under the car.

gnichols, HOTRODPRIMER and Lil32 like this.
  14. How about on his ankle, or tucked in the small of his back. Secure storage and easy accessibility are two words that don't go together in a situation where a firearm is needed.

TCATTC, seadog, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  15. I have the battery in my 33 pickup mounted under the floor in box that's secured as it was needed to pass tech when it was being drag raced. The 34 5 window my grandpa owned had it mounted behind the seat, the 3 window we had was mounted in the back, which was a pain as the coupe was a rumble seat car. Then all of the other 33/34 pickups we have owned have had them under the floor.

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Best advice IMO is put it where you can easily access it, I've never needed/done it but remote jumper posts are a good idea if you insist on a difficult place to access, Another thought, use a popular group/ size battery so if/when yours dies you can go to any auto parts store and be back on road quickly when traveling.

17. j3harleys

j3harleys

And wayyyy more expensive :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Being an old fart, I can't help but chuckle when I see people mention various things to make a hotrod safer, or concerns they have about the lack of safety features in a hotrod. Granted, we all try our best to make our cars as safe as possible. But it's an old car, and if you want to build them there are some things you just accept that you have to do if you want to own and drive a hotrod. We're not building 2021 vehicles that have to pass modern crash testing.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, get one of those locking gun boxes, and bolt it down inside the trunk, or any hidden place he has. That's about as secure and safe as he can get.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I would love to see a picture of this?

HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  21. mickeyc

mickeyc

I saw a spring actuated flat box mounted under a friends driver seat in
    an off topic pickup. It had a lid that would cover a pistol. When needed a simple tap of a button and the box slid forward. The lid
    remained in place giving quick access to the weapon. Much needed in
    modern day New Orleans and surrounding areas, unfortunately.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. [​IMG]
    Photo from ten years ago while doing other work. On the right, the red piece is the positive lug cover, about 10 inches below is the ground cover. Is that what you wanted to see?

TCATTC, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  23. Thats what I was thinking but for some reason I expected the lugs to be on the starter side of the firewall.

HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  24. So did I, I suppose in some cases it may be more convenient. HRP

25. TCATTC

TCATTC

Tell me about that neat waterpump riser.

Tim_with_a_T and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I went with one of those new fangled small batteries and tucked it behind the seat. The thing is pretty great.

5C62205B-F0E4-4C03-A720-B96ADDF3DCB2.jpeg

nunattax, Jet96, gnichols and 2 others like this.
  27. The '54 Ranch Wagon's original battery try work fine and there was no reason to move it. HRP

[​IMG]

lemondana, Lil32 and gnichols like this.
  28. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I made a metal box with a removable top for my roadster, in the trunk, on the right side in the picture. Everything kind of blends together. IMG_1208.JPG

Attached Files:

Lil32, AndersF and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

In my sedan I have my battery, RS rear, fuel cell in the rear, I have a large door that I can access either pretty easily. My trans cooler is located under the cell with a thermostat controlled fan. I tried to put everything I could back there out of site. My 9 mm is on me and easy to get to. They make a magnet deal to hold a pistol under the dash, never seen one up close, just in ads.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.