Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Change bore of 62 truck MC

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Deuel, Feb 3, 2021.

1. John Deuel

John Deuel

I’m using the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing set up for my T5/Flatheads set up. Want to use the 62 Chevy truck master cylinder. Would anybody know of any rebuild kit to make the clutch master cylinder bore 3/4 of an inch. Thanks

Stllrng. likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It would take more than just a kit, if the bore was smaller it would have to be bored out, if it is larger it would need to be sleeved down.

3. I did that exact swap for my 1932 Ford pickup. I sleeved the M/C and used a Willwood 260-6898 kit.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Now tell the OP what is involved with this. Don’t give him the impression it’s a 5 minute job;)

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. I don’t usually reply to stuff like this, but what a silly response you make.
    What on earth would make you say I’m giving him the impression it’s a five minute job?
    The original poster asked for a part number for a 3/4” bore kit to use to change a 1962 Chev master cylinder from 1 1/8” bore to 3/4” bore. I’m pretty sure he knows that you can’t just put a 3/4” piston in an 1 1/8” bore. I did mention that I sleeved it. I also drilled a couple of holes down through the reservoir for the brake fluid to get to the cylinder. But I certainly didn’t suggest it was a 5 minute job. You must be hard up for things to complain about.

egads and RICH B like this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had a local machine shop do several for me, sleeved to 3/4 with a brass sleeve and Willwood kit. They have worked fine so far. He usually charges me 100.00 to do the job plus I furnish the kit. .

-Brent-, Tman and Stllrng. like this.
  7. Johnny Gee and Stllrng. like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Not hard up or looking for an argument.
    So after you read the question, you said you did it by sleeving it, right? Now the OP who asked that question, surely doesn’t have an idea of what is needed to sleeve a master cylinder or a
    wheel cylinder.
    I don’t have a milling machine anymore, just a few lathes. Both lathes would take a top notch machinist to bore a master cylinder and fit the sleeve.
    Now I might be wrong, but wasn’t the request about a kit?

Your response was somewhat misleading as in “ya, just sleeve it”.

Now you could have responded with the equipment and tools needed to do it at home, or suggested that he send it out to be done and the reasons why.

Or, maybe you know of where there is the correct sleeve he needs, and the process of putting it in place properly just takes a pilot and a press?

Sorry to have pissed in your water bowl.

9. My water bowl is perfectly safe thank you. I’m not sure what your agenda is; I’m sure you’re a fine machinist, I think you might be more suited to being a lawyer or spin doctor.
    You completely miss the point; at no point did I say “yah, just sleeve it” or words to that effect. The OP was not asking for a tutorial on sleeving a master cylinder, he was looking for a 3/4” rebuild kit that was suitable. I’m really not sure what your problem is; it’s almost as if you think I’m trying to trick him into thinking he can sleeve it using a 3/8 electric drill and some PVC pipe. There is a good chance that the OP was aware that the sleeve should be done by a machinist.
    Thank you for your valuable and insightful input; in the future I will try and be more careful and not mislead people.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021