Register now to get rid of these ads!

georgia title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theracedude, Apr 21, 2008.

1. theracedude

theracedude

last week i was in georgia and found a sweet 1970 pick up. went to the bank, made the deal, all was good till we got to the title. lady said she had a title but it was not in her name. in georgia they only need a bill of sale to tag and drive a car. so i had to walk on the deal because i was not going to hand over $4500 and not get a title. i live in florida and our DMV is very picky so i need a title. my plan was to buy it, clean it, sell it and pay for my gas on the trip. how do you buy a car from georgia and get a clean title?

2. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

If it's in a state that doesn't require a title, I wouldn't worry about it. Any DMV will take a Bill of Sale from a state that doesn't require a title. They can get a notorized bill of sale by the state though.

3. Ga does not require a title on older vehicles (I think its older than 20 years).
    A bill of sale is all that is required to register and get a new title.
    I kept the orriginal title to my '63 with the orriginal owners name on it for historical purposes.:rolleyes:
    Go back and get it!

4. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

A title on a 70 model vehicle in GA is not required. She was correct, all you need is a bill of sale. Some states might require a GA regisitration (tag receipt) along with a bill of sale. That shouldn't have been a problem if she had been tagging it.

5. That is going to depend on your state, and from what I've heard, in Florida it's kind of difficult to register a non titled car from Ga.

I'm not sure why, but the State of Georgia will not give you a title for any pre-1976???? year cars. I took my '50 to get registered, had an out of state title and a bill of sale. They had no problem registering the car, but would not issue me a Ga. title due to the age of the car.

Here's a link to the FL. DMV, sounds like you may only need a bill of sale, and have the VIN verified.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqtitle.html

6. I just went through all of this in FL. I got a car from CO and it was signed by a guy in CO 27 years ago. I took all I had, a bill of sale and the title, to the Gadsden County Tag office, and they made me a title. My son just went through the same thing in Tampa with a title that was signed in 1978 and he didn't even have a bill of sale. He got a title. I don't think it's a big deal if you have a title and if you have a bill of sale it is even easier. It is do-able and it may depend on the tag office you are dealing with. Some are real assholes and some will work with you ... Good Luck .. if you go on with the deal.

7. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I don't know about ga. and fla. In NC a dealer can make out a lost title form and get one that way. I don't know how legal that is but if the car was purchased honestly that should fix it. My father had trouble with one and he told us if it wouldn't go through the dmv he could do that and take it himself.

8. chopped

chopped

The important thing is to have the Vin on the car, everything else can be worked out. If the car has a registration from Ga. it's easy. I've done a few in the last couple years and learned a few things. P.M. me if I can help.

9. theracedude

theracedude

So are you saying that if i buy the truck with a bill of sale only and register it in my name that i will get a "new title" back?

10. chopped

chopped

You will get a Fl. title. My car went from Ga. had registration only, to Fl. Got a Fl. title, came back to Ga. Re-reg.here and now have Ga. reg. only. Still have Fl. title in a drawer, they don't ask for them back. Figured if I sell it to a Fl. guy I can help him out. Just remember you need a vin. Kiss of death without it

11. Ga and Fl being bordering states I'm sure the Fl DMV has seen it before.
    Like chopped said, I would tripple check the VIN. Then I would do a notorized
    bill of sale with the vin on it (it should not need a sale amount;)). I would also get a photocopy of the sellers DL and the latest registration just for good measure.

12. theracedude

theracedude

Thanks For The Help.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Well into the '60s, Georgia didn't give a title to a brand new vehicle rolling off the dealer's lot--even from the dealer, they only came with a bill of sale.
    As said, vehicles 20 years old and older do not come with or require a title in GA--just a bill of sale.
    You'll have to do some paper work, and run the VIN through the sheriff office to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen, but no title in Georgia isn't a deal breaker, it's simply standard operating procedure.
    -Brad

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. You can not register a car in South Carolina with a bill of sale, a title is required, a seller in Georgia can get a title but it requires them to go to the Georgia DMV and apply for one and that cost them time and money but it can be done.

I personally have gone through hell trying to get a car registered without a title, it's a friggin' nightmare and not worth the trouble in the State. HRP

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. Brad lives in Georgia and he my be able to shed some light on the problem, if not your next best bet is to call the Georgia DMV. HRP

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NC is really picky and I have bought 2 GA cars. Here's how it is done here. First you need the past 3 registrations and a bill of sale. Then, you have to have an inspector from the NCDMV inspect the car and help you with paperwork that will get sent off to the state office. It helps a lot if the car has a VIN tag that has not been tampered with. You have to go to a local tag office or an appraiser a valuation and then buy an indemnity bond for that value, protecting the state for 3 years. These are not expensive. You then send the paperwork and indemnity bond to the state office, where they issue a title.

Florida should have some similar process.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  17. TCATTC

TCATTC

1984 and below, a title is not required in Georgia. They won't issue a duplicate or re title on anything before 1985.

18. TCATTC

TCATTC

Georgia absolutely will not issue one. Time or money, it cannot be done legally.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

p.s. 13 year old thread. I bet the OP bought and sold that truck by now

57 Fargo and Budget36 like this.
  20. Ain't it funny how my pal got one on a 1930 Model A, a new title on a 85 year old car that has been in Georgia since day one and a car dealer pulled it off for him - legally I might add. HRP

31hotrodguy likes this.
  21. TCATTC

TCATTC

chopped likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Why would anyone be expected to keep 3 past registrations ?o_O

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Isn't car dealer + legally an oxymoron :p ?

Randall and TCATTC like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

HRP forgot to refresh his browser;)

Mr48chev likes this.
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently they are told to keep old ones when they don't have a title. I got them both times. Ga folks will have to answer that.

26. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I'd like to know how this was done, if it was. Is it possible to post an image of said title? Of course the serial number, title number, and owners name, etc. should be blacked out or deleted. Could this be what GA now offers what they call a "conditional title" which I don't fully understand. I would like to know more.
    Thanks, Eddie

27. chopped

chopped

My ex dealer general manager wife says"no way".

28. Alabama is the same way. They will NOT accept or issue a title for a car 1974 or older. I tried on more than one occasion. They flat refuse to talk about it. I sold a truck to a guy in Florida some years back with just a bill of sale and a current registration and tag receipt. He said thats all they wanted.

29. chopped

chopped