Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 27 roadster on deuce rails

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PINEAPPLE, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Haha! Anytime dood!! ;):)

Stogy likes this.
  2. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

PineApple,

Glad to have you back. I'm right on your tail. Just a few years behind. "Picture" hope mine ends up as cool as your. Could you provide the thread name for the deck lid inter skin.

Thanks...Mike

Attached Files:

3. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

well it's been another year. Time for another update I suppose. I'm still chipping away. I will get it done eventually. Here are some shots of the master cylinder mount and bell crank bit I made. My phone has been taking these weird "live" pictures that kind of move? Anyhow, those wont upload, so it's kinda hard to see what's going on here. I have a home made 32 k member with legs going back kinda like the industrial chassis pieces, you can see the layout in an earlier post. I mounted a f1 pedal box upside down to the front face of the k member and ended up with some earlier pedals and shaft assembled in the box. The brake pedal pulls from the top of the pedal on the bell crank through frame leg and gets transferred to another pushy rod on an angle running back to the master cylinder. The bell crank is kinda neat because it has an oil lite bronze bushing in the center that rides on a hardened leaf spring shackle pin from an f1 pickup. This allows me to grease it if I wish and should last forever.

Attached Files:

5. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I feel like I am missing some photos. Some of this may be a bit boring, but I will try to get close to the current configuration. A couple of radiator shots.. the first is the core, for reference on the tube size and staggered arrangement. Spike radiator in englewood colorado built this for me from a 29 model A top tank and a 35 bottom tank.

Attached Files:

6. Willows

Willows

I love how you did the linkage for the brake, friggin genius.

LSR 2909, Stogy and PINEAPPLE like this.
  7. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

This one is pretty fun. I had about 3" of original decklid. I had decided to make one from scratch (what could go wrong?) . I had this model A one laying around for a while. The bottom was really ragged and rusty. I checked the crown of it's catwalk area against the T catwalk, shockingly they were the same (for my eyes anyhow). I unskinned it from the inner skin, marked out some new lines, tipped the edges on my skateboard wheel bead roller thingee, tapped 90 degrees and used the shrinker stretcher to shape to the new profile. Once it was fitted, all the raggedy bits were cut off because the T is shorter overall.

Attached Files:

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you may not have the fastest moving build but your attention to detail is right up there with the best of them and tends to raise the bar a bit.

9. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I mentioned in a post a while back that it's always fun to show the mistakes that happen along the way. I wanted to have my dash sorta cove in like an auburn jobby. I had cut the dash across the cowl area and inserted a filler strip to get the depth. I then made a 1 x 1 angle piece from 18 gage and shrinker stretchered it to a new lower profile. I then proceeded to patch up all the little shapes and holes leftover. Stupid idea. I never would have gotten it straight with a pile of bondo. I torched it off. I then made a whole new dash from 18 gage and welded it to my top rail bit and cut some gauge holes in.

Attached Files:

10. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Oh boy was this a project. This is an old chrome pitman arm, f100, which has been extended by an 1' or so. It was on this old deuce chassis I drug home 15 years ago. My sector shaft extension is a splined torsion bar piece for dirt track cars. I ordered an internal spline chunk that fit from an off road place. Bored the pitman arm on the mill and turned the chunk so all bits would have good meat and a healthy press fit., fat chamfer and tig weld. I wanted to keep it old timey so I made up some threaded bushings to fit in the original bolt slot and thread some fake bolts in. For the bit holding the arm on the shaft, I had to single point thread a chunk to fit the torsion bar internal threads. It was a weird size and pitch, like 3/4-20 or some nonsense. Anyhow, I chamfered a pitman arm nut on the back side and welded it to the newly threaded bit to make a bolt that looked like a nut. I drilled the stuff for safety wire, for a racey look. Fun project.

Attached Files:

sko_ford, Lil'Alb, 53 effie and 13 others like this.
  11. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Thank you very much!

Lil'Alb and Stogy like this.
  12. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Thanks man. Genius is a bit much I think.

Stogy likes this.
  13. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Years ago I had seen some threads kicking around about cutting and punching louvers by hand. I made a louver punch similar to the one Jerry Laboranti uses.. I think he is on here but I cannot remember his name. He is an incredible craftsman. I used a 1934 ford big truck clam shell and torque ball chunk to make the punch. Again a few false starts but pretty good success in the end. I plowed my "new" decklid full of louvers.

Attached Files:

sko_ford, Lil'Alb, winduptoy and 17 others like this.
  14. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I have much more to add.. Work in the morning, bedtime. I will post some more stuff soon. Thanks for hanging out with me. Good night fellas.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be @HomemadeHardtop57 and yes Craftsman is very fitting and @PINEAPPLE, you as alluded are pretty darn talented yourself...thanks for the update...;)

brEad, High test 63 and PINEAPPLE like this.
  16. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Thanks very much Stogy, I wanted to make sure he got credit. Thank you for the positive feedback. I know it's been a long time since I updated.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Awesome build, keep up the great work!

PINEAPPLE and Stogy like this.
  18. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Top notch work, as always Matt!

PINEAPPLE and Stogy like this.
  19. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Thank you very much fellas!!

Stogy likes this.
  20. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Matt
    Less beer drinking.more car building.!
    Unless you are doing both at the same time

kidcampbell71 and PINEAPPLE like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

My first hot was a 27 on 32 rails and they are one of my favorites but the29 roadsters fit me better.thanks for sharing your build. By looking at your build I can tell your very comfortable in a machine shop. We had one in Denton, Hoops Machine Shop no CC equipment all talent. But they closed at the end of last year.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and PINEAPPLE like this.
  22. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

always at arms reach my friend.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  23. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

@1-SHOT , I hope this one proves to be comfortable enough once it's going. I have a 29 as well and another set of deuce rails stashed away for my next build. Thanks for the compliment. I love machine shop work.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  24. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I would expect no less

Stogy likes this.
  25. Damn fine work, Matt. I really wish i had looked you up when in Denver in 2019, too busy ''fizzing'' over vintage steam stuff. JW

PINEAPPLE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. 51box

51box
    from MA

Dash is awesome, deck lid looks like it was born there nice work man

sko_ford, PINEAPPLE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Glad you’re still thrashing on this. I started following it years ago but lost it somehow.
    27 on 32 rails is one of the classic HotRod styles. Wish I still had mine.
    You have some great skills. Thanks for sharing with us.

28. So good man!

Jeff34, PINEAPPLE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

This build is awesome, and I appreciate that you share the things that don’t go as planned.

Just don’t make us wait two more years for an update!

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

@26 T Ford RPU ,thanks very much, but dont be shy next time. @51box , thanks a lot buddy. @hotrodA thanks man, I will do another update in a day or so, the thread is actually not caught up to where I'm at with it yet. @cactus1 you're so good my friend. @TigerFan , glad you like that, I will try to remember to take more pix of my messes, it happens often enough! Cheers fellas!