Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Coupe Trunk Lid

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CYT, Jan 13, 2021.

1. CYT

CYT

Well I hope someone can help with my dilemma. This is probably a strange one.

The trunk lid on my 40 has been decked. All the holes filled. You can see on the inside were the latch fits a patch has been welded in and primered over. I am trying to figure out how I could return to normal. My thoughts are if I had a template to locate the exterior hole location I could use that to locate the handle (repo) then cut out and fabricate new mounting for the latch inside. Can't find anything to show me how the inside should look except photo on Dennis Carpenter web site

Any thoughts, suggestions or a lid you could make a template from. Anything short of find a new trunk lid.

2. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have the same issue. I can see where the holes were poorly filled on the inside so I can put a strong little magnet on a couple of the welded hole plugs & sprinkle some filings on the outside. That will let me locate a couple holes that I can restore then I can template with the gaskets for the remaining holes if I can't find them all. At least that is my plan for when I get there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

If you PM your address to me i will make a pattern off of my '40 Standard original paint car and mail it to you. Include your email address and i will send images of the pattern on my car, so you can see how the pattern fits.
    Tom

4. CYT

CYT

How absolutely awesome. Now I have to figure out how to send you a PM

5. CYT

CYT

Says something about having to have 10 posts to do PM's. True?

6. CYT

CYT

Here you go Tom and thanks again. Riddle me this. Charlie is Young David is Cold they live in India India India @ this time they drive a Small Block Chevy near global.net
    See if this gets me any junk email. lol.
    Cy

7. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I just wanted to follow up on this, i followed thru with my offer to help this guy with his deck lid problem. I took time out of my day to create a flexible shape pattern from my car, shipped the pattern in a mailing tube (at my expense), the package was delivered on 19 Jan. Today is 2 Feb., and not one word of appreciation or thanx! What the hell is the matter with people now a days that they can't or won't take the time to say "thank you". Rant over.

Attached Files:

8. @hotcoupe, Good on you for taking the time to help him out. I see @CYT is still active, so maybe he'll respond appropriately.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. CYT

CYT

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been very busy with medical stuff. I am sitting at Kaiser as I type and just managed to get my first dose of COVID vaccine. I am 74 but had to wait until they lowered it to 65 or over. The template worked great and your efforts are much appreciated. I was able to use it yesterday. My son I were able to return it to its natural state. Attached a photo. Will still need a little adjustment to the latch but all is good.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. @hotcoupe ...looks like all is well and appreciated. ;)

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Cyt, i'm glad the pattern was of some help, good luck with your project.
    Tom

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. CYT

CYT

Thank you Tom. As great as your template was for the trunk I may lose the rest of my hair trying to get the hood to align properly. This car came out of a vineyard in Lodi California in 1971 with no motor or trans. Was worked on until about 1979. It got flat head out of '52 F-1 and trans out of '39 both rebuilt. A lot of body work done (not so good) and then went into storage until November last year when it came out into the light of day. A lot of the things bought for it in the '70's were stored with it and have not survived so well. There is a lot of stuff available now. Both new, NOS and used and easier to find now with internet and forums and the help they provide (you).

Two things are happening in 2021 that didn't happen in 1978. The progress is faster and the wallet gets thinner quicker. Again thanks for your help. Attached some photos. IMG_0995.jpg IMG_1139.jpg IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1214.jpg IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1284.jpg IMG_1287.jpg

Cy

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods