Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Era Champ Car - new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Another question: Posi or non-posi?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2021.
  1. Posi for two-wheel traction

100.0%
  2. No Posi for better handling in the corners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I modified the bending dies so that they can be reversed and turned upside down. That way the workpiece can swing under the press bed as the bends increase. An unanticipated use for my nosepiece buck is I could use it for a checking station so that the flow of the square tubing will closely hug the inside of the nosepiece. This should provide a sturdy mounting location for the radiator.

sr_shell16.JPG sr_shell17.JPG sr_shell18.JPG

The ends of the tubing will be roughly at the lower edge of the frame rail. I'll install two sleeves and weld tabs to hold the hoop on with four 3/8 bolts.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I placed the hoop on the body and lowered the rad into the frame. I want the top of the hoop to be about 1" lower than the top of the cowl to give the hood a slight rake, while still maintaining enough room for that huge six engine. The ends of the hoop will need to be trimmed a bit. The hoop clears the inside of the frame by a half inch, 1/4" per side. Good because I can weld in mounting tabs and the hoop will clear the weld fillets. The rad mounting tabs also will fit inside the hoop - just barely - and I'll position it up / down for the best fit.

I fabbed up the mounting tabs for the hoop and spotted in the hole locations for fastening the hoop.

sr_shell19.JPG sr_shell20.JPG sr_shell21.JPG

patmanta and loudbang like this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Before I affix the radiator hoop I want to be sure it is as low as can be but still clear the DOHC Duesenberg head that covers the ugly Ford valve cover. I attached studs to the Ford cover and then drilled / tapped the spark plug mounting bar that will hold the DOHC in place. Now it is a matter of trimming down the DOHC cover to get it as low as possible so the hood will have a nice rake to it. I originally thought I was going to have to put a blister in the hood for engine clearance but now I think I can fit it in there and keep the hood line clean.

spark plugs OHC 05.JPG
    spark plugs OHC 06.JPG

loudbang, HJmaniac and Fabber McGee like this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After further trimming it looks like the DOHC head will fit under the projected hood line.

Fun facts: The spark plug terminals are genuine Rahjah with old orange 7 mm solid core wire. The spark plugs were made using center electrodes I smashed out of old plugs then threaded into the bar, using bits of air freshener caps for the white porcelain and toilet tank washer seals for the well plugs. I hope to use all stainless steel acorn nuts on all the visible fasteners.

spark plugs OHC 07.JPG spark plugs OHC 08.JPG spark plugs OHC 09.JPG

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I know, I know. There are those who will have disdain for everything fake on a car. Like fake blower scoops, side pipes, wire wheel covers, and hemi valve covers on SBCs they don't compare to the real deal. But to plunk a real period correct exotic motor in there would be waaay beyond my means, and I would be running it with the fear of blowing it up and starting a quest for replacement parts. These Ford sixes are as common as toenails and easily - and cheaply - built to perform as well as an exotic Duesy or Miller. So it'll never be a million dollar museum piece but I bet the kids in the stands will appreciate it nonetheless when I open it up coming out of turn 4.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I will be taking a break in posting any updates on this project for a while. But I'll return. In the meantime here are a few little things I've been collecting I plan to incorporate in the build: A shifter handle, a stainless (spoon) gas pedal, a sight gauge and some oilers.

preview 01.JPG preview 02.JPG

ratrodrodder and loudbang like this.
  7. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

8. farna

farna

I like the fake valve cover, though seeing two sets of spark plugs will be confusing! Actually, most will fixate on the head and not notice the "extra" distributor and plugs. People see the air filter adapter I made for my AMC/Jeep 4.0L in my Rambler and somehow don't see the fuel rail and regulator right below it (and in clear view) -- they assume it's a carb under there! Not REAL car people -- they take a closer look when they see something odd, but most people don't notice. Even some real car people don't, many just assume it's a standard AMC/Rambler six once they see the round air filter and don't take a closer look. It should have one of those sixes under the hood after all! By the way, the 4.0L is basically a 1964 AMC/Rambler 232 six with some minor mods and a new head -- many parts interchange. You can bolt the 4.0L head to the 64 232 block easily, and mix and match cranks and rods, but would need custom pin height pistons in some cases.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like it. Most people would not notice a second distributor they would be looking at the valve/cam cover. I think it nicely done. How are you going to put oil in it when it nods a quart

loudbang likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

farna, True. Each of my two boys had a car build project when they were teens. One helped me build a homemade tub with a faux tri-power 302 which actually had a 2V 2GC carb / manifold and two dummy carbs. They built the engine long block in Auto Shop and I drove the car in to their school to show the class the finished product. I knew we had "pulled it off" when the auto shop teacher asked me if it "was hard to get the tri-power carbs synchronized?"
    hottub02.jpg

1-SHOT, Thank you. I plan to cover the real spark plugs with a stainless awning shelf. I will either add oil by removing the four acorn nuts that hold the DOHC cover down to access the lowered oil filler cap (as shown on my post #513), or add oil through the dipstick tube. What I haven't resolved yet is crankcase ventilation. I'll probably vent the original fuel pump opening.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Perhaps a PCV valve in the back of the original valve cover and a vented fill cap on an elbow tube at the original fuel pump hole would work.

loudbang likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Fabber, I see if I have enough room.

loudbang likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm taking a winter sabbatical Retson. I'll be returning home in a couple of weeks to resume where I left off. Thanks and stay tuned.

Retson the Racer and loudbang like this.
  14. Frames

Frames

My hauler. My crowded shop and some REAL QC's. 2020-11-12 12.40.35-1.jpg 2014-12-17 18.44.54.jpg

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You have a nice collection there Frames. What make are those QCs? Is there any commonality of the change gears brand-to-brand? Or is each brand unique to the marque?

Those roadsters look like the ones Marty Strode has built and popularized.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I need help identifying what carbs these are. I am told they are SUs, but there is no part tag or numbers stamped in them. The only identifying mark is the logo cast into the tops of the bowls. If they are SUs the throttle bore size is 1.75 " which would make them HS-6s. Can anybody positively ID them? Thanks

SU 01.JPG SU 02.JPG SU 03.JPG SU 04.JPG

chryslerfan55, patmanta and loudbang like this.
  17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

8-21-2008 004.jpg
    I'm no expert, but they look upside down in the first picture. Other than that they look a lot like the HS-6 s on my HA/GR build. Other than the float bowls having four screws compared to mine having three. My carbs came off a Volvo.

18. SR100

SR100

I don't know which model they are, but that is the Hitachi logo. Hitachi made SUs under license, mostly for Datsun.

19. guitarguy

guitarguy

Maybe @97 can help. He's pretty sharp on those SU carbs. Mine are 1962 I believe HS-6, yours look to be later models if I had to guess.

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thank you 64 dodge 440,guitar guy, and SR100.

SR100, you nailed it. I received this response from a British carburetor rebuilder after sending him pics:

"...those are Hitachi SU's as used on Datsuns while they are similar to British SU's nothing is interchangeable and I only have British parts..."
    He gave me two sources who deal in Datsun carbs and I will contact them to see if I can get additional help. guitarguy, I will also contact @97. Thanks.
    I love the H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and guitarguy like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

guitarguy, I heard from @97 and he set me straight. These are Datsun 240 carbs - the early ones. I look forward to pimping them out. Thanks and thanks 97.

chryslerfan55, guitarguy and loudbang like this.
  22. guitarguy

guitarguy

You are most welcome. The car community is full of great helpful people.

loudbang likes this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes indeed and they are often of great help, even if they are on the other side of the world as in this case.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm back on it!
    @97 sent me specs for my carbs. They are model #VHJG46Ws. Thanks @97

Look what I got off the internet for about sixty bucks. A nice five gallon fuel tank. I took a chance buying it off the net because it was less than half the price of the major speed equipment suppliers. Same product as far as I can tell. 12" x 12" x 8". The welds look very nice and they did not skimp on material thickness. I also got a fuel gauge that is compatible with the sender that comes with the tank. But I do not want to mount the gas gauge in plain sight. I want it in case I license this ride for the street and to prevent overfilling. I will hide the gauge under the seat back upholstery where it will be easily accessible when filling the tank. My plans are to remove the black flip-up cap and fab a filler neck and tube that runs up to the remote fill cap. It will be mounted just below the bustle head rest on the left (pit) side. I have a locking flip-up cap on order. I need to fab mounting brackets before I route the filler tube.

gas tank 01.JPG gas tank 02.JPG

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

gas tank 03.JPG I made a jig to accurately align and weld on the mounting brackets for the gas tank, without having to use the tank itself. It has the four mounting holes accurately placed on a flat plane. I will also be insulating the tank against vibration with rubber biscuits.

gas tank 04.JPG
    Next I made a new flange to attach the filler neck and filler tube to the tank. Since the gas cap will be located on the top of the rear body section and the tank will be affixed to the chassis crossmember I am not yet sure how I will attach the filler tube to both the tank and the remote cap. Yet.
    I want to be able to remove the tail section with the gas tank left in place on the frame.
    I will make a nipple when I get the cap and hose and weld it on then.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I mocked up the tank in cardboard, removed the seat back, and did a test fit under the body. Even the five gallon tank is going to be a snug fit. I'm a little concerned about the best way to route the filler. But at least it should be fairly easy to access the fill tube clamps for body removal. More on that when the cap arrives.

gas tank 05.JPG

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Made the gas tank mounting struts. Next: weld tabs to affix to Xmbr.

gas tank 06.JPG

chryslerfan55, loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

These tabs will get welded on to the gas tank mounts and then to the round rear crossmember.
    gas tank 07.JPG gas tank 08.JPG

chryslerfan55, HJmaniac and loudbang like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Continuing with the tank install, the mounting tabs are located and tacked in place. Then the tank fixture was placed on the xmbr and tacked in place. Finally, the tank was mounted up. I canted the tank forward 1/4 inch to be sure every bit of gas gets to the sump pickup. The fasteners fell in place. For joy

gas tank 09.JPG gas tank 10.JPG gas tank 11.JPG gas tank 12.JPG gas tank 13.JPG gas tank 14.JPG gas tank 15.JPG gas tank 16.JPG