Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 4dr cars that look as good as 2dr version

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bbdakota, Jan 30, 2021.

1. In US cities the more doors were popular with the gang bangers. Easier to jump in and out of.

When I was a young man more doors were grocery getters. Some of the kids in high school would drive their mom's car. They were not as cool as two doors but they were way more cool than walking I guess.

One of my favorite things to do now that I am older is find me a more door and do the things that the kids with mom's car did. I call it the I screwed with my mom's car look. :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. My 51 Merc 4Dr.Cut off the top and kept the 4 Drs, built a chopped Carson top and - Looking Good.

[​IMG]

Dave Mc, egads and williebill like this.
  3. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

I think there is a difference and that's because we in Europe and you in Oz and NZ always had 4 door cars racing, so no stigma attached. Just check out the prices of Jag MkI/II 3.8s, Aussie Ford Falcons GT/GTHO, BMW 2000 TISAs or (for Eastern Block cars) Tatra 603s to see what I mean.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I figure any hardtop that has the same roof as the two door looks just as good. 62 Cadillac Sedan DeVille is one I like since I had one back in the 80's. there are "6 window" sedans that miss the mark, but Sedan DeVille has exactly the same profile as the two door.

for some reason I sold my Caddy and kept my ugly 1961 Dodge, not sure what I was thinking at the time.

photo from the interweb.

1962-cadillac-deville.jpg

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I believe the car you speak of belongs to Wes Rydell and was built at Hot Rods by Boyd while Chip Foose worked there.
    I saw it and a few others at Mr Rydell’s shop after being invited with our rod run group touring the Dakotas while at a local cruise nite. On the wall was a large rendering of the plans for the 35 Chevy Phaeton which won Most Beautiful Roadster in 2014.

chevyfordman and R A Wrench like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The 67-68 Pontiac Bonneville..

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 55/57 GM 4 door hardtops have to top my list.
    [​IMG]
    I spotted this one at the Portland roadster show a couple of years ago that was the same color combo as the one I had in 1966. I had a lot of people go to get in the back seat who thought that it was a two door rather than a four door. My friends always wanted to take it when we went as a group as it had as much leg room in back as it did in the front. 55 Buick and me.jpg

8. I think someone should take a 4 door hardtop and convert it to a 2 door hardtop, keeping the 4 door hardtop roof. That would be unique.

Dago 88 likes this.
  9. The younger guys were raised on 4 door cars, most cars from across the water had 4 doors and that's what they are accustom to.

When I was growing up in the 50's & 60's the 2 doors was what we wanted, my out look has mellow a little. HRP

Butler 32 likes this.
  10. My 56 Buick 4dr Hardtop was a real looker, in my opinion.
    IMG_0089.JPG

Rand Man, 302GMC, Jessie J. and 13 others like this.
  11. I have wanted to do that for a very long time. If you could source a 4 door hardtop and a pair of 2 door hardtop doors it should be fairly easy.

The five seven 4 door hardtop is the same way the roof line is just way nicer then the 2 door. I am not familiar with the 55 but I'll bet its like that too.

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. I guess you had to be a rodder in the '50's to understand the stigma attached to 4 doors. Now days 2 door cars are becoming obsolete. I recently bought a new OT 2 door coupe which is the last of the breed. No more coupes after this.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG] I liked the 59 Pontiac Catalina 2 door better than any of the other GM 59s. But that's just me

Jessie J. and nochop like this.
  14. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

66-69 they had a 2 door continental available. What’s funny is today they command a far less price than their 4 door counterparts.

15. Though a '55 Sport Sedan (4 door HT) wasn't made, somewhere I remember a '56 converted to one. Unique look, made those cars feel really open.

16. It has been done atleast once... I saw a matador red '57 4dr HT converted to a 2dr on *bay, about 12-15 years ago. It kept the original roof. I gotta admit I was looking at the photos for atleast 30 seconds before I noticed the sport sedan roof on it. It was well done.

56don likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a 4 door/4 t-top corvette at a show once. More aint always better. I've suffered from acid reflux ever since.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Here's one I found on the interwebs
    Screenshot (413).png

prez, Butler 32, Matt55folife and 4 others like this.
  19. The 56 wasn't "converted". They made factory 4 door hardtops in 56.

20. I'm saying I've seen a car that started out as a '56 4 door HT converted to a '55 4 door HT.

arkiehotrods, porknbeaner and 56don like this.
  21. I don't see how anyone could not like Dave's one off build, that car is a beauty. HRP

[​IMG]

Dave Mc, arkiehotrods and i.rant like this.
  22. I also like Eric Clapton's one off 1932 Vicky 4 door. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

When I was a kid, about 12, I had a paper route and saved my money.In the local paper in the classifieds, there was a 1960 chevy for sale.. 400 bucks.I got my mom to call the guy and she told him her son would like to see the car on that Sunday.
    I peddled across town on that sunny Sunday with cash in my pocket....1975 I think..any how I got there and a 30 something year old guy answers the door.
    "Yea..." he said
    "Im here to look at the 60 chevy" I responded.
    I think he thought it was a joke, but he was taken back.
    So he entertained me and we went to the back garage.It was a creampuff 60 chevy,Mint, mint,mint.
    The interior still had the factory plastic on the interior.... 3 speed on the tree, and a 6 cylinder.I didn't mind that at all.The car was certified and ready to roll.Ran like a purring kitten.
    I looked at it for about three minutes and got on my bike,said thanks and started to peddle away.

"Hey Kid!...Are you interested..!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I turned around and said,.no thanks..... It's a 4 door.
    Man, that dude was pissed!

Not a 4 door guy but I do respect them.... most buy them due to the cost difference....and I hang with a bunch of guys that have them.....

I'll never forget that day.

Squablow, prez, Kreepea_1 and 8 others like this.
  24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

BE7E99D4-EA0E-49D4-B84D-491AE9551AAD.jpeg BD33E8C8-D294-4EF6-94AD-4BDD056BAE22.jpeg I’m right fond of mine! I couldn’t afford the ‘51-‘52 Hudson Hornet 4dr sedan, so I went with the ‘50 Chevy. I dig the lines!

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a lot of the cars posted and I have always been fond of hard top wagons, but he OP asked "what 4 doors look as good as 2 door models", and while there are a lot of them I like to look at they don't hold a candle to the 2 door versions. I just bought an OT 4 door PU because it soooo damn useful and practical. But the short trucks look sportier and fit in the garage easier.

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMHO If you don’t like this Caddy you probably don’t like ice cream.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  27. If i had more friends I'd get me a crew cab..... :rolleyes:

arkiehotrods and chevy57dude like this.
  28. 10 years ago, a local guy had a '70 Chevelle 4 door painted nicely for his son. Bought the gutted shell 2 door parts car for $100 and flipped it for fair money. The amount of doors doesn't matter to a HS kid in the 21st century like it did to us.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I bought my 62 Sedan DeVille I was actually looking for an 80's small size Eldorado. I saw mine on a used car lot and it was beautiful original condition with minor blemishes and the most perfect black leather interior I have ever seen. I bought it for the condition and originality. I came close to buying a 64 or so Plymouth 4 door at one time for the same reasons. I have this thing for original paint old cars. I had a 49 Chevrolet 4 door sedan for a while to go with my 2 door, I wanted a bomb with all the accessories and that is what I bought. the plan was a custom coupe and a bomb 4 door to keep forever.

sounds like I would have bought that 60 Chevy in your story had I come across it.:) I just like old cars.

arkiehotrods and Jeff Norwell like this.
  30. They grew up with 4 door cars. A two door car has been almost non-existent (late model) for at least 2 decades.

I am totally off base here but I believe that the fact that 2 door cars are no longer produced is part of the reason that NASCAR has gone to templates. Sorry I don't buy the level the playing field stuff. its racing.

chevy57dude likes this.