Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Genius! That is why I am so happy that I asked. Thank you.

My current strategy has the whole setup coming in around $175. I'll make a custom template and shop around.

2. Graham08

Graham08

Or key locking inserts (AKA Keenserts, check out McMaster-Carr). They install with standard tap sizes so you don't have to buy special HeliCoil specific taps.

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@J.Ukrop I have had this one probably 60 years. I could never part with it for some reason, probably it was my first banger "speed" part.

banger_cover2.jpg

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

At one point I was working on an overhead conversion for a Ford 4 using a Studebaker V8 Head, because I have a bunch of them and they came out in '52, so "period correct". It would work with some tinkering and access to a full machine shop which I didn't have back then. It would be easier if one of Lionel Stone's aluminum heads could be found.

X 2 on Heili Coils! Learn to use them now because when you et to the aluminum flathead speed parts they are a necessary skill. :eek:

Outback, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A thing to keep in mind is that Helicoils are smaller than Keenserts for a given bolt size. So if something with a Helicoil gets screwed up a second time, or bodged in the first attempt, it is still possible to put in a Keensert.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Watching this build come along I can’t help but think the depth and quality of your features will improve exponentially.

Not that your work isn’t fantastic already, I have really enjoy the last year or so of your stuff, but because having put a car together where every part came from someone, has a silly story, or came about because so and so told you.

Your having more first hand encounters of what this is all about.

Really just great stuff man, again.

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the rec. It's looking like that's what I'll end up going with!

A thing of beauty! After much consideration, I reached out to my friend who is a master of polishing. I'll see how his schedule is, but I may have him give my Cragar the treatment. Neat that you've kept yours for so long.

Damn, that sounds like a big—but fun—project! Looks like the practice will be starting in the next week or so. Then I will know for the rest of my life!

Great info, thank you!

Thank you, Tim. I appreciate it big time. I completely agree that building this thing changes the way I see every old car, whether it's a feature car or not. It's a new spin on this hobby/sport that I've been involved with over half my life. It's a breath of fresh air, and I love it.

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's getting late here, but I wanted to report a little bit of progress.
    IMG_2905.jpg
    This afternoon, I used Yama's sheet metal brake to get the correct angle on the transmission cover. The brake is a pretty cool piece of equipment with a little bit of a back story.
    IMG_2906.jpg
    A few years ago, our fried Sean posted on Instagram that he was giving it away. Sean is a super nice guy who is knowledgable about all things mechanical—especially vintage Harleys. Here's his survivor Knucklehead chopper that he rides everywhere. IMG_6948.jpg
    At the time, I had even less space than I do now, so I passed on the brake. Later that day, I found out that Yama got it! It now lives at his shop, and he lets me use it whenever I want. What a good friend!
    IMG_2911.jpg
    It's made out of the remains of an old shelf. (EDIT: I played around with the idea of putting a decal on there last night, but I soon realized that it didn't exactly fit the era of this wire-wheeled hot rod. Simple is better.) Four 1950s screws from the Midland Multi-Pak will be used to finish the job. IMG_2912.jpg

The 39 guy, 48fordnut, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  9. 97

check carnut . http://carnut.com/

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A couple of my son's Triumphs. The one with the Suzuki tank is scary fast! He started on a '67 Honda CT90. It's still around too.
    100_2661.JPG 100_2068.JPG

11. jim snow

jim snow

Never heard that story. Can’t wait to hear it in person. Snowman

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You have to watch out for those Canadians 'ey! :eek:

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It will take a good polisher to do your side cover justice without making all the edges round and losing the logo detail. If it was mine :rolleyes: I'd media blast it and only polish the top of the fins and the high parts of the logo. Maybe paint the valleys between the fins red, black, engine color or what ever accent color you are using under the hood. Sorta' like this SB valve cover , but it's your call and I'm sure you have a vision.
    5uoD3BPz-2109675696.jpeg

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hey be nice! Or we will soak ya down in maple syrup and stick ya to something... lol.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, guitarguy and 6 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks!

Wow. Those are both amazing. The Suzuki-tanked beast looks like it'll take your lunch money!

x2 on that!

I like the way you're thinking!

Hahaha sounds like a sticky situation!

Six Ball likes this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Estate sale searching. Street sign slicing. Exhaust pipe exhuming. Drum brake duels. Taillight trickery. Firestone screeching, plus a somewhat nerve-wracking nighttime drive. It was a wild weekend and I have some thread updating to do. Stay tuned!

Dannerr, Mikko_, Tim and 6 others like this.
  17. Could you have your Cragar cover vapor blasted? Might ensure that you don't lose any of the hard edges. I had a Triumph Daytona engine done when I had it torn down for rebuild and it turned out beautifully. The edges are just so well defined. Just a thought.

Really enjoying your threads here on the HAMB!!

I enjoy playing with the old British bikes as well. Gathering parts and working on subassemblies for my AV8 build. Taking some pointers from your thread as I know I need to start my own thread soon.

Well done,

So Cal Brian B

48fordnut, Six Ball, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  18. This just gets better....

Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like that idea a lot. Interestingly enough, I had a Triumph T100SR engine with that same treatment and I agree, it looked really nice. Small world!

Thanks for the kind words. I like putting things together piecemeal. It makes it a whole lot more manageable. You so should start a build thread.

Also, I had to take a closer look at your avatar photo. At first I thought that was the '30 roadster that I checked out before buying this one. It would have been cool to see it getting turned into a hot rod too!
    IMG_3674.jpg
    Here I am wondering what the hell I am doing.

Thanks Mike. We're only getting started here!

chryslerfan55, 48fordnut, Tim and 3 others like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Over the weekend, I wandered over to an estate sale in search of hand-me-down hand tools and whatever else I could find. Well, the tools weren't priced very reasonably, but I was able to pick up a few neat items. Highlights included a 2 5/8ths Stewart-Warner oil pressure gauge, a handful of fuel line fittings, some twine and a pile of various pieces of scrap metal. It was an enjoyable sale—and I especially liked the old Snap-On toolbox that was out of my price range. The story goes that the place belonged to a gentleman who used to race with the SCCA. I'm glad I went.
    IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg
    On the way home, I made a special stop in Berkeley. Remember the search for Berkeley Automotive Center? Well, with the help of @Woogeroo, @Beanscoot and some folks on the Ford Barn, we were able to find the place on Google maps. My estate sale adventure wasn't too far from the address, so I swung on by. IMG_2901.jpg
    The building still stands. What's most impressive, however, is that remnants of the sign remain visible. Someone went through a whole lot of trouble to paint the building, but they kept the original lettering. Although it was turned into a stereo shop in later years, you can clearly see that this was a repair shop back in the day. I still have some more research to do, but this is a great start.
    IMG_2902.jpg

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The following day, I was up in Petaluma at David di Falco's shop to pick up some sheet aluminum. I had an extremely fun day catching up with him and asking a million and a half questions about his roadster, ranging from exhaust routing and throttle linkage to top bow construction. Every time I go there, I get so energized by his positive attitude and seeing the amazing things he creates. David (@six5monster) truly is a master of his crafts.
    IMG_2946-1.jpg
    My favorite Model A hot rod.
    IMG_2940.jpg
    David showing me the ropes on his bandsaw. IMG_2942.jpg
    After the tutorial, he went over to work on his wild dual-motored electric bike project. We listened to some Western yodeling while I carved out the backing plate for my Gaz taillight. IMG_2943.jpg

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Oil pressure gauges in a Model A can be a lot of fun! Especially when you ask a knowledgeable passenger to check the oil pressure as the sun is in your eyes.

23. Joey,

I remembered when you test drove that car and posted it and thinking wow it looks like mine. Mine hasn't changed much since that picture.

Thanks for encouraging me to start a build thread. I have some downtime (knee surgery today) and I just may take the time to start. I'll have to settle for living vicariously through you and the other on the HAMB until I get back up and running.

Keep up the posts as I and many others really enjoy the updates.

Take care,

So Cal Brian B

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff.

makes me so curious, what makes a guy build a 9 ton cinder block wall to paint the sign on? Feels like there’s got to be a story there?

J.Ukrop, Tony Martino and Six Ball like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There is probably a million dollar view of the Bay from up there. That wall is thick enough to be hollow maybe it's full of old hippies? :eek:

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and Woogeroo like this.
  26. rpm56

rpm56

Outstanding thread Joey. I enjoyed watching the video of your trip to Holister. There's not much better than meeting older cats and hearing their car stories. It's reassuring to see younger guys like you who are into the car craze. Kudos and good luck.

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's amazing good fortune that the later owners didn't paint over the sign. To think, only the good luck of them not having a tall enough ladder saved this historical evidence!

[​IMG]

Now you just need to figure out a way to get invited in, to snoop around. The upper floor looks full of non-auto junk through the windows, but who knows what may lurk in the corners.

J.Ukrop, Jrs50, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’m guessing there was another sign over the top of that was recently removed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Haha that sounds like there's a good story there. Noted!

Thanks Brian! I've had two knee surgeries myself and they're no fun. The one small upside for me is that it gave me a whole lot of time to catch up on my hot rod reading. Let me know if you need some back issues of TRJ to keep ya busy!

Hahah right? I have some theories...

This made me crack up. I've found some strange things stashed away in Berkeley—including a very crusty chopper wedged between a shed and a fence. It was about nine feet long and hadn't seen the light of day in at least 40 years. That's a story for another day.

Thank you! I've met some of the coolest people working on this car, and I can't wait to meet so many more in the coming months/years.

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right?! While I was there, I did walk around the perimeter to see if there was anything of interest. Unfortunately, there was not. I agree—I need to get inside!

So, according to Google Maps, the building was that original tan/green motif until the spring of 2015. There are no traces of another sign ever going over it. Maybe they figured it was good advertising? Whatever it was, I agree with their decision making!
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.16.48 PM.png