Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A drag roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Equipped28, Jan 31, 2021.

1. I’ve had this idea in my head for a long while and I had a couple false starts with different body’s and chassis, but I decided to start completely from scratch building exactly how I wanted too from the start, picking up inspiration from the Tony Nancy nailhead roadster, the Triple Nickel roadster plus a handful of other late 50s style race roadsters

I IMG_4404.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_8508.JPG
    IMG_5810.JPG

The big piece I wanted was a big tube chassis on this car, So I started up with 2 length of 3” diameter seamless CDS tubing for the main rails, got them set up between my axles on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary, WC145, tdog and 13 others like this.
  2. IMG_6956.JPG
    IMG_6964.JPG
    IMG_6966.JPG
    IMG_6981.JPG
    IMG_7009.JPG
    IMG_7011.JPG
    IMG_7026.JPG

I then set the body on to get the engine set back set up just right it’s around 15” back from stock’ish so well within the 25% Nhra ruling of the 50’s. and then I got on with working out the prop loop and seat section of the chassis

IMG_7030.JPG
    IMG_7033.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7141.JPG
    IMG_7147.JPG

Then with a wheel in the back wheel well to see how the car was looking

IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7336.JPG

3. Next step was the front goalpost and steering set up, this idea has been going around in my head for a few years and I’ve got a stack of steering boxes under the bench so it was good to get these out the way and onto the car.

Using a 37-48 ford passenger car box & turned down pitman arm, plus a model A pitman arm and sector shaft. Twinned with some home machining turned out a pretty good homemade sprint car steering set up, the pitman extension will get drilled and pinned onto the ford sector come final assembly so it will definitely not be going anywhere. And also let’s the box come apart for repair if needed in the future.

IMG_7510.JPG

Jigging bar to set up the location of the bearing
    IMG_7549.JPG
    IMG_7556.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG
    IMG_7560.JPG
    IMG_7562.JPG
    IMG_7568.JPG
    IMG_7569.JPG
    IMG_7566.JPG
    IMG_7570.JPG
    IMG_7572.JPG
    IMG_7574.JPG
    IMG_7579.JPG
    IMG_7580.JPG

With the steering box set up worked out next was the front shock and grill mounting goalpost, the back of the shock bracket will also mount the fuel pump and regulator.
    IMG_7669.JPG

Then made a shifter up, running the Muncie and centre steering made for some fun trying to kick this up the side of the seat, it seems to work good. But we’ll see when we’re taking it down the strip and trying to bang shift it! IMG_7708.JPG

Got the hoodsides made up, will also make a Aluminium hood top and this will all be bolted together and removed as one piece with the grille. Also got the real tyres I’m running nicked up at the rough height. IMG_7857.JPG
    4C3A62CA-50FE-4FBE-A7D2-9A46FF06E8B3.jpg

31chevymike, WC145, Outback and 27 others like this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

A man that loves Drag Hot Rods is watching you .... great inspiration choices as well. This is going to be so cool.
    Where did you get your 'glass body?

5. Now with the wheels purchased too I got them mounted up and in place. Next was to work out the headers, pretty glad with how these look so need to finish up the other side to match.

IMG_8379.JPG
    IMG_8399.JPG
    IMG_8404.JPG
    IMG_8412.JPG
    IMG_8413.JPG

That now brings us up to today, with another job for my chassis table I needed to get the car pulled off so I got that done, a few more bits got done. I’ll try and work on the car as and when I can and keep everyone updated, it will hopefully be out on track some time this year. Just glad it’s all finally coming together how I’ve always imagined it. IMG_8994.JPG
    IMG_8995.JPG
    IMG_9001.JPG
    IMG_8999.JPG
    IMG_9003.JPG
    IMG_9012.JPG
    IMG_9023.JPG
    IMG_9026.JPG

6. 392

I’m in. Great work and should be fun.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

8. Very nice work.

9. The ‘like’ button comes up short. Great start!

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Really like that your using period components and chassis layout, also some great construction shots, almost hate to see it finished and covered up.
    Is your first track debut going to be at Santa Pod?

11. speedster t

speedster t

That a nice BSA you have I have a 47 C10. Nice build

12. Your off to a nice start. This will be a thread to watch.

13. Awesome build, thanks for sharing....look forward to future updates....:)

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. I gotta subscribe to this!! Found a photo of this on IG, glad I found this!

16. Yes that’s our only real track left over here now, and luckily it’s half an hour drive from my place!

17. Thanks everyone, will update as I get on with bits.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wow, this is spot on. You've nailed the look thus far!

19. Deuces

Deuces

20. Looks great!!

Also love the BSA single in the plunger frame!!

mad mikey, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

22. Thanks everyone, done a little more on it around other work.

Top half of the chassis all roughed up and roll bar set. Radiator to mount & a couple other things to work out and then the chassis should be pretty much done bar finish welding, then onto the body.

The stainless hoop will be removable by pins & clips through the solid bosses on the chassis Tubing and then a bolted plate on the down tube to the top of the diff housing. Then making the body totally removable leaving the chassis intact, the goal is to have a totally driving chassis with the body as a just a skin on top.

Attached Files:

EVL401, alanp561, slim38 and 16 others like this.
  23. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Oh man, this is gonna be a great build! I really love the old drag Roadsters.
    Can't wait to see the final product!
    Thanks for sharing your progress. I'll be watching!

24. junkman8888

junkman8888

Have a question; exactly how do you intend to secure the extension shaft you built to the output shaft of the steering box? Every other time I've seen this done the splined portion of the pitman arm that you cut off and machined round was welded to a tube and a nut used to secure the tapered splined portion of the fabricated extension shaft to the tapered splined output shaft of the steering box. With a solid extension shaft, like you built, I see no possible way of properly securing the extension shaft to the steering box output shaft.

25. like I said in the write up on the steering I will be drilling the sector and extension and putting a pin through to tie them together for extra safety, but there is a built in dead stop up against the support bearing, so there is no physical way it can come apart unless the whole assembly is taken off the car

26. junkman8888

junkman8888

"Pinning" your extension shaft to the steering box output shaft would be acceptable if you were working with a regular splined connection (like a rear axle shaft in a pinion gear) but you're working with a tapered spline connection which requires a "force fit" to be safe, as in big nut drawing the pitman arm on the steering box output shaft. The way you are doing it will eventually fail.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Oh man... this is the coolest thing I've seen going together on the Hamb in years. Bad ass!

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  28. Great job! Car looks fantastic!

loudbang, mad mikey and ModelAPunk like this.