Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Capitol of the USA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctommy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

PB is a clear favourite!

2. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

20210130_083237.jpg It was in the upper 40s at 5:30 AM when my wife and I left the house in our '32 for the River Ranch Rod Run here in Sunny Florida. Turned out to be a beautiful day with over 500 participants. Next weekend is the Groundhog Gala in Orlando. Lots of things to do but a bit spread out. It's also snowbird season so short term rental rates are at there peak, especially closer to the beaches. Hard choice.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  3. There is always something car related going on in Florida from Sept to May on both coasts.

4. After having been stationed in both Florida and California while in the Navy, San Diego would be my choice. After visiting out there last March, right before COVID hit, I realized it hadn't changed that much. Always loved "Mission Beach"!

5. 2935ford

2935ford

I agree with both SoCal and Florida. Either are very good choices.
    What happens to the place while you are not there? That's a long time in between! :(

6. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

I will rent, airbnb or similar.

48fordnut likes this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

Ah, gotcha.....then store the Rod.

mctommy likes this.
  8. 26Troadster

26Troadster

being i have lived in cali. and florida. florida is where i'd be. i'd go home to texas too, i guess it's a southern thing.

9. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

That Idea has crossed my mind, even been at RV dealers and discussed

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Your retirement plan destination, and what's the hot rod capital of the US may have different answers. I don't know if anyone can argue Cali isn't the hr capital of the world. It started there at the very least. We may build um here in Michigan, but I don't think we're the hr capital, and certainly not a vacation spot during those months, unless you wanna go ice fishing with me....

mctommy and Special Ed like this.
  11. 34Larry

34Larry

I went looking like you when we wanted to get away from the rain in Washington State back in 2008 up on retiring. I absolutely detest crowds so Southern Cal. was absolutely out! Florida is way to hot/humid, crowded, and far away. My brother was in Phoenix so we bought there.
    Found it perfect in all aspect's mentioned. Very modern, lots of new development, decent prices on most everything and most of all, Rods galore. Car shows everywhere on the weekends and Barrett-Jackson and other world class car auctions just a short drive away. We were in Apache Junction east of Phoenix. The rod culture most everywhere there is great, very strong and the weather CAN NOT BE BEAT for that time of year. Lake Havasu is really into rods with many great quality rides and people also, but then mention a city and its the same with the car culture.
    Unfortunately for us age and health raised it very ugly head, and with our family (adult children) here in Wash. we had to sell. Really, you should strongly consider Arizona.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, if you do decide on the San Diego area, send me a message once you get down here and I'll buy you a beer or something, and drag you to few local shows. It's 70 degrees here, right now. ;)
    Mon, Feb 1st 2021
    High: 69.8ºf @10:55 AM Low: 57.2ºf @3:10 AM

210superair, chopped and mctommy like this.
  13. GeeRam

GeeRam

A good UK friend of mine that now lives in Sweden, his parents used to that, used to spend 2/3 months late Dec to early Mar every year doing a road trip around the mid west states. They hired the first year, but met a few people that they got to know in Texas, who said why don't you buy an used RV and keep it on our ranch, which they did the following year, and until recently they have been doing that for past 15+ years.

Ron Funkhouser and mctommy like this.
  14. GeeRam

GeeRam

I've been around most of the western states on many, many trips over from UK since 1987, and even though my best mate of nearly 40 years emigrated to NorCal nearly 20 years ago (and used to post here) I have to say that Arizona would be the place I'd be looking at as well.

mctommy likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scottsdale, AZ if I could play that game. Auctions, close to Socal for the shows and garage tours, great weather, did I mention the golf?

mctommy likes this.
  16. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Good input! Thanks

17. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Sounds great! I will do that, as soon as current situation is back to normal we will go over to OB

Special Ed likes this.
  18. hepme

hepme

Correct. I live in Houston, (that's Texas) & we are pretty bad for the rod scene. Was in SoCal for a 6 month job assignment, couldn't believe the events, cruise in's, shows, suppliers, etc. that's there-almost every night something going on. Loved that and the weather, but was glad to get back to Texas.

Desoto291Hemi and mctommy like this.
  19. Special Ed

Special Ed

mctommy likes this.
  20. I don't think you can beat the weather in So Cal, especially in San Diego. Sure, its got too many people and it is congested but you can pick your times and routes to avoid some of that. And you can't beat all the stuff there is to do there, but remember it does take a lot of time to get anywhere there because it is so big and spread out and sometimes the freeways turn into parking lots. Plus its pretty expensive to do anything in California, especially in real estate, but its a great place to visit.

I live in Prescott, Arizona and it's damn near perfect for me. Small town feel, but big enough to have what you need, but we are in the mountains and generally have nice, mild weather, but we can and do get snow in the winter. Like last week, when we got about 20" of snow over three days! The good news is it usually melts in a few days because we are around 50 to 60 degrees this time of year. So in the winter, Phoenix is probably a better choice as base of operations since you can get to LA in 6 hours or less but you won't want to ever be there in the summertime because the temp usually ranges between 100 and 115 degrees and doesn't cool down much at night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My wife Jan, my little snowthrower for 47 years!

The motorhome idea is a good one too, just a little more complicated, but it is a great way to travel and you can be anywhere you want to be. Once you get used to the routine, it is just like home. In 2019 we spent nine weeks on the road on the way to Deuce Day Northwest in Victoria, BC and then drove across the country seeing all of my Deuce friends I've made over the years. We had a great time and made it as far east as Minnesota before heading back home to Prescott. We would have stayed out another month if my wife didn't have a doctors appointment to keep. You can take your time getting anywhere and see a lot of the country. We usually avoid expensive campgrounds and stay anywhere that's free (friend's places/Walmart/shopping mall parking lots) or cheap (National Park Service/government/city campgrounds) to keep the costs down. It's a totally self contained unit and we can "dry camp" (no hookups) for about four days before we need to drain the holding tanks and refill our 90 gallon water supply. On our nine week trip we only stayed at campgrounds for less than a week total while traveling over 7000 miles, which used about 1200 gallons of gas. I have a Class A Winnebago Adventurer 38R with a 8.1L GM gas engine pulling an Aluma 18' open trailer. I am at about 26,000 lbs fully loaded, so its a bit thirsty but its cheaper to maintain, easy to work on and costs less money to buy than a diesel pusher. Surprsingly I can get around most places, even shopping mall parking lots, even though its a 60' long rig. Although I prefer not to be in shopping mall parking lots, it was necessary to keep my wife happy on pretty much an old car dominated trip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For a secure home base for the motorhome and your car you could consider a RV Storage Condominium when you need to store them when you are out of the country. RV's deteriorate if they spend too much time outside in the Southwest sun so I would consider inside storage. I am familiar with this one that has a location here in Prescott and one in Coachella, California. https://www.luxtorvip.com/#intro They generally are 14' by 45' to 50' long and cost about $80,000 here in Prescott and about $120,000 in Coachella. The one here in Prescott has sold most of its present phase in just a couple of months but I think they will build more to meet the demand. They are quite popular and I'm sure there are others available in most places although I would avoid any that are in a climate that is regularly over a 100 degrees in the summertime.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Ron Funkhouser, KiWinUS, Tman and 2 others like this.
  21. hudson48

hudson48

Austin is on my list especially to attend the LSRU one day. Get the "jab" soon and travel will be back on the agenda. I like anyplace that has cars actually and have seen lots of stuff in CA, did 6ooo miles across USA and back in my 48 Hudson custom back in 2018 so saw a lot. Have been to CCR in 2019 but just as a spectator but got to travel with Kurt and Amy McCormick in their 41 Cadillac. Been travelling to USA since 1990 and have chalked up 13 trips now.
    In Australia Castlemain in Victoria is actually designated as the Hot Rod Capital of Australia!! Hot Rod Capital.jpg

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you can comfortably cross Chenango Forks, NY off your list. It's the capital of NOTHING. Everything here is crappy and the weather kinda sucks. There's only one Hot Rodder in town (me), and he's a douche bag;)

23. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

For Sure...

24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Richmond, Virginia IS NOT.[/QUOTE]

Thats for sure, & All of Va!! Since about 1998 "Dead" !!
    From 80s to 96/97 we would go from N.Va to Richmond, WVa ,MD, NC ,D.C ,Pa all most year round Fri &Sat street Racing.
    Never been to West , Southern Cal, I would say that's the HR Capital.
    From November ( Turkey run) up to May in Fla ,from Daytona & south mostly 60-70S days ,Night high 40s -50. drag strips are Open almost year round , this weekend they are drag racing @ ClearWater Fla 5th -7 th

Ron Funkhouser, Just Gary and mctommy like this.
  25. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

3501997A-78B7-460C-A7D2-994B55921A6C.jpeg
    Thanks, good reading This way we would have the hole USA as Hotrodcapitol If we buy a RV it will be small, like the one in my picture wich we almost bought..... Also considering sending over my coupe since i have have more vehicles here in Sweden. How about security while camping off grid? And are You allowed to?

Ron Funkhouser and 48fordnut like this.
  26. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Thank You for another good suggestion

27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Hear in the States,
    (@ least Va to Fla)
    Walmarts parking lots are kind of RV friendly. There's a least a Walmart every 10 miles or so on interstate I95 which is the main interstate on the East Coast north to south ,I don't know if you can stay two or three weeks at a time, Most of the Camping parks for RVs are safe & crime free Respectful. You can tell by the appearance if Good or you do not want No part of, but things can happen any where.

Ron Funkhouser, 48fordnut and mctommy like this.
  28. We've been traveling in an RV since 2014 and have never had any problems, no matter where we are, whether it is in a parking lot in a city or in the middle of nowhere, such as parked along a highway on the top of a mountain pass in the northern Cascades of Washington. That's not to say you couldn't have trouble but if you are prepared for it you can do several things. Remember you are mobile, so if necessary, just drive away from trouble. I do carry a weapon locked in a gun safe in the bedroom but have never felt any need to get it out. If you do, you have to be prepared to use it and that can create more serious problems unless you are in life threatening danger.

Most areas are either posted or city and state laws are easily searched for information. Your smart phone is your best friend and their are several apps like RV Parky and RV Life that show campgrounds, dump sites and Walmarts in your area. In large cities like LA it is much harder to find free camping because of lack of space and people that abuse ithe privilege. So when we are at the Fairplex in Pomona for the GNRS or the LARS we stay within a mile of the fairgrounds at one of the nicest places we've ever stayed at, the Bonelli Bluffs RV Resort & Campground, formerly the East Shore RV Park. https://www.bonellibluffsrv.com/ It's expensive, but worth it. If you see a large shopping center parking lot that isn't posted prohibiting overnight stays, it is usually OK. Use common sense and stay out of the way, out on the edges and if a major store like Home Depot or Lowes is there, just go in and ask the manager if you can park there for the night. Look for other RVers and trucks parked there and you will know its OK. Other stores like Cabelas outdoor stores allow overnite RVers. There are usually areas along roads that are rest stops or pull outs for trucks that you can stay at. Some rest stops, especially in Washington state are designed with areas for RV's that are away from the trucks which is nice. We've parked near city parks on the street or in city government parking lots. You will just get a feel for what you can and can not do after you do it a while. Keep a low profile and don't be in anyones way. We have never been told to leave any site we have been parked in. Only one time in a Walmart were approached and were told there was no overnite camping, but in that case we had just stopped there to buy something.

One more thing to consider when buying an RV is to check the rowing capacity and look at the loaded weight you'll need to tow. I use an all aluminum Aluma trailer that weighs just 1200 lbs to keep it as light as possible.

29. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Lots of good info! Thanks

30. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

You can not and I mean cannot beat the Americans for their hospitality, I’d love to say the Aussies are just as good , but we are a very close second, they are enormously proud of their country and will bend over backwards to look after you and show you the sites, even more so when they know you love American cars, I can’t wait to get over there again