Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Amsterdam N.Y. Stripblazers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald N Wemple Jr., Oct 7, 2015.

1. Does anyone remember this car group. I was told they were from the Amsterdam NY area and drag raced at Fonda dragstrip until it closed around 1967. Thanks for any info on them. Don

2. racemad55

racemad55

b.t.t.t. anybody?

3. jcs64

jcs64

born, raised and still live in Amsterdam NY (although not born until '79)
    I know quite a few ol timers but ive never heard of this group. I will ask around next time we meet up.

jeff

4. jcs64

jcs64

just talked to a friend that used to race there right around 67, Hes also from the Amsterdam area and hes never heard of them.
    now were curious, what brings up the question?

jeff

5. Hi I have been trying to research a guy by the name of Ray Persons who drag raced at Fonda and surrounding tracks. He owned several cars and also owned a rail and was given money to tow to Canada to run also. I own his 1961 Corvette he dragged and am trying to fill in the gaps on her history. Cannot find much on him except a few blurbs in the paper about him being at Fonda in the day. While researching I came across a line that gave mention of the Amsterdam StripBlazers and I never heard of them either so I thought of posting this up and maybe talking to the Amsterdam recorder and see if they might do an article asking the readers! When I try and find info on him everybody needs car details such as car colors ,motors used and class he ran. I found out he owned 1960 Chevy conv. with a Latham blower and a 1958 Dodge Adventurer with the big motor. He was a terror along the Mohawk Valley I was told with his cars and would run the Dodge up over 100mph on Rt. 5 S Was told he went to ESTA in Syracuse also. No one remembers names just cars etc.!! Ray left the area in the late 1970's and returned in the 1990's and passed away in 1998. He owned an appliance store in Glenville by the Airport at one time and I found out he had a repair shop by Union College also. I am also helping another friend out researching his 1956 Corvette that was dragged around here at the same time period. It was Black with a Big block, straight axle and what was left on the side of the car when he got it in the 1980's was painted RAT (something). Thought possibly Ray may have been part of the Amsterdam Strip Blazer group at one time. O.K. Thanks for any help out there!

6. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

7. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Appliance store by Airport. Bet the olde timers that worked Salisbury Chevrolet would know him.