Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 DeSoto tricks and parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gavin Tittle, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Hello

Just bought a 1950 DeSoto Deluxe sedan, and the car has plenty of issues to address and this is my first early fifties mopar.

Primarily, I need help with parts interchange for the drivetrain. The car I bought has a broken rear u joint, and they seem to be near impossible to find. Does anyone know of another year that has the same dimensions?

Any information is valuable, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Beepx22 likes this.
  2. Beepx22

Beepx22

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

A couple of thoughts:
    Join up with www.p15-d24.com there is lots of info on this vintage.
    As this is your first early Mope you might consider swapping the rear axle for an Explorer unit. You will not like dealing with the brake drum removal or the brakes themselves.

What are the 'plans' ?

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Left hand threads on the left side wheels and positive ground 6v electrics. These 2 things cross up a lot of new owners of early Chrysler products. Also the Fluid Drive transmission requires a special driving technique, not difficult once you know the tricks. We can get to that later.
    The mechanics u joints are hard to find but not impossible. They were used on a lot of Chrysler products for many years, not sure exactly which ones interchange. You could try Andy Bernbaum ( link above courtesy Beepx22) or ask on the AACA forums AACA Forums

Gavin Tittle and Beepx22 like this.

5. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I’ve worked on several old mopars, this is just the first one I need to worry about finding parts for myself. I’ve dealt with the rear brakes before and I know what you mean, but I’ll probably be keeping the originals anyway

The plans as it stands are to get it running and driving, sort out the title/registration and see how I like it, and go from their with drivability modifications. Just want something old and fun to drive to work in

6. Beepx22

Beepx22

My 48 is the smoothest car I own. Including my new models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Andy Bernbaum has the U joints for $90. Not exactly cheap but cheaper than a new driveshaft.

Gavin Tittle and Beepx22 like this.
  8. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Thank you, just bought one, given that NOS ones are on eBay for 400+ it was a hell of a deal