Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mechanical fuel pump rec. SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F1 Ford, Jan 31, 2021.

1. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

It appears my mechanical fuel pump died on the way home yesterday. Chevy 350 with a 1406 Edelbrock carb. I've read here and heard from others that Edelbrock carbs like no more than 5.5/6 psi fuel pressure. The replacement AC Delco one at the parts store has (it's a Tri-Five but I reference a '76 C-10) puts out 9 psi.

I'd like to grab one later today from any of the chain parts stores. I'll grab and use the Delco one, but I thought I'd ask to see if someone can recommend an over-the-counter pump (part # or car reference for the check out people) with a slightly lower PSI. I need to get this one running today.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

For the money on a driver Airtex 4657

3. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

4. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks for the leads, sunbeam and 67. I never check Advance and it appears that they have a couple Holley ones (not cheap!) at a lower rating. I was locked into O'Reillys and Napa. But first I'm gonna see if that Edelbrock one is located locally.

5. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Just following up: Edelbrock wasn't available; my Advance does stock the Holley pumps. YMMV. Thanks again.

6. Order a regulator.

rbrewer likes this.
  7. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

I'll see how it does. Holley's max rating is 7.5 psi and I can clock it. I get that these levels can fluctuate.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Note -
    If you get a pump that's puts out much over 6psi, like noted above, an inexpensive regulator will help set a good pressure.
    BUT, the above poster neglected to mention, that a regulator does absolutely no good without a system pressure gauge and the fitting(s) required to install it.

Summit and Jegs can supply everything you'll need if you can't find it locally. They both have pretty quick shipping.

Mike

rbrewer likes this.
  9. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks for the info, Mike.

10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I would just put a stock $20.00 fuel pump on it.

2OLD2FAST and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things to consider, every turn, fitting and length of tubing reduces pressure and volume. So every fitting from the pickup to the carb drops the overall output. How much? There's fuel flow calculators online you can use. I say this because the 7.5 rating is likely the free flow max output of that pump. I'd bet a good cup of coffee and even add a plain old-fashioned cake donut your carb will NOT see 7.5 PSI. Those Holley mechanicals are actually good pumps. I had a racer version on a car with NOS and it was rated 7-9 PSI at full tilt. WFO in the lights with the juice spraying a 150 shot I had 6 (what I wanted). I had a tick over 7 at hot idle. All was fed thru the stock system with a 3/8 factory fuel line and tee'd off or plumbed as needed for the squeeze. Short version, bolt it on, probable you'll be fine. However as always, your results may vary, tax n title extra, see your retailer for details, void where prohibited, no purchase necessary...:cool:

12. Some stock pumps, produce higher fuel pressures than really required; I guess that's the outcome of mass produced items. I had similar issue with stock pump on my SBF, installed a good Holley pressure regulator, and never looked back. That way you're ready, if you ever have to change another pump on the road.

rbrewer likes this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

F1 .... I had the same problem on my Coupe, brand new auto parts fuel pump that was putting oout 12 psi and flooding my QJet.
    I ordered a Carter M6900 and it works perfect for me.

carter m6900.jpeg