Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cold weather fresh rebuild start up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jan 30, 2021.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I have been taking advantage of being out of work to rebuild my engine here in frozen N.Y. Now I’m almost to the point of startup for break in . My garage is not heated so my question is would it be a good idea to put a block heater on it before I try to fire it up being here in the cold?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

As long as your cooling system is functionable, It will warm slowly.

juan motime, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Well if we were talking temps in the teens I’d consider at least warming the oil beforehand. Can never be too cautious with the time and money invested.

4. olds vroom

olds vroom

I’m worried about the pink assembly lube acting like glue and spinning bearings in the cold

loudbang likes this.

5. Warm the oil and engine. Get a heater of some sort and try to get the engine warm before initial start up.

blowby, Bandit Billy, trollst and 2 others like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was 3 degrees this morning here in Binghamton NY.:eek:

The last thing you want ,is an oil pump trying to get molasses to the top of a fresh engine. I would build a tarp tent over your engine and throw a space heater under it for about 24 hours.

7. olds vroom

olds vroom

That’s why I’m thinking block heater on the oil pan. I have( or had I don’t know where it is right now) a small magnetic electric block heater. That would get things warm enough to keep things soft and moving free.

loudbang likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I would use your block heater, warm oil, hot plate under oil pan, space heater blowing on engine and or warm up garage. Prime oil system, make a drive from an old distributor , spin with drill. Today's products, I suggest you use a breakin oil, different brands available, I use Joe Gibbs break in oil. I have built many racing engines and the first start up is critical, IMO Better to be safe than sorry.

hotrodjack33, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just DON'T burn the frigging garage down while trying to get the oil heated up!

Budget36, wicarnut, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Funny/Sad Story, I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, Several cars/trucks have gone up in flames with guys using barbecue chips or coal under jacked up cars to warm them up. I Never bought into that one LOL. In my reply I suggested a space heater and thought about warning him about being careful, Every winter, in the city, improper use of space heaters, Fires kill several people/children, very sad when the stupidity kills children.

mad mikey, loudbang and GordonC like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree...the entire engine block should be warmed and oil primed before start up.

mad mikey, loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Somewhere I’ve seen what looks like a heating pad that sticks to the oil pan. Maybe in Summit?

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  13. olds vroom

olds vroom

Sure enough I went to look for my block heater with no luck. It probably was thrown out last time I cleaned my garage out I haven’t used it in 20 years or so.

loudbang likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't there a dipstick warmer available? Space heater for the abient temp too. You're right to be concerned about the assembly lube. What's the old saw about "...better part of valor"?

hotrodjack33, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  15. Don't know what kind of car you have it in, but if you have heater hoses, pick up a tank type heater, that splices inline to the heater hose. It will warm the coolant, and work through the whole system, including block. A block heater that installs in place of frost/freeze plug would work real good in this application, too.
    Or, heat your garage for a while.

16. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

It was about 35F when I fired up this one. Used a Dipstick heater for about 3 hours.
    10K so far & maybe it's dumb luck but no prob.;)

Attached Files:

17. olds vroom

olds vroom

That won’t work for me as I have no heater in the car it’s a model a roadster . But it was a good idea.

loudbang likes this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

Have used a salamander/ kerosene bullet heater under them plenty of times. Jack the front up and run the heater slightly uphill to hit the oil pan and block.

Need to be there the entire time and make sure nothing is getting too hot, move it around.

Block heater and oil dipstick heater will also help.

19. As indyjps suggested, or even electric construction heater, aimed under car.

20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Algoma56, mad mikey and loudbang like this.

21. Keep an eye on those construction heaters too ... I had one (220 volt) hanging from the ceiling in my garage. Worked great for years. Turned it on and went into the house to let the garage warm up. I returned to a strange 'something is VERY hot' smell in the garage. Turned out the fan in the heater had failed and the paint on the ceiling above the heater was baking. I ripped down a good chunk of drywall off the ceiling that day as I was afraid something might be smoldering, just waiting to catch fire. I think I got lucky that day.

loudbang and Algoma56 like this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Wait for warmer weather

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Rip the electric blanket off your bed, wrap it around the engine, along with the comforter. Sheets optional.;)

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and they will come in handy out there in the garage...cuz that's where you'll be sleeping when the wife finds out.:eek:

loudbang, Budget36 and J. A. Miller like this.
  25. Oilguy

Oilguy

Prior to my retirement, I used 110V heating pads, about 6" x 4", that would go under the bases of pneumatic solenoid valves to prevent freezing. I am racking my brain trying to remember who I bought them from. Might try a fluid power/pneumatic distributor in your area. If I can remember who made them I will post it here.

26. Oilguy

Oilguy

The preheat suppliers I used for industrial hydraulic systems were Kim Hotstart and Chromalox. But I like the ideas above regarding tarp and electric heater or just the heater. If the oil is hot and the rest of the motor is cold you could risk damage from thermal shock.

27. olds vroom

olds vroom

I haven’t started it up yet all is ready . I did get a block heater and put it on while I was still working on wiring,plumbing,etc. but it didn’t seam to heat things as much as I had hoped. Hopefully I can get it fired next week.

28. olds vroom

olds vroom

I fired it up it runs fine but I have a few bugs to work out still mostly wiring issues but it runs again

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If you've a bunch of snow (or cold) let the girls take care of it.

April, May, and June :)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.