Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Ford Shoebox vs Chevy 454

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TestyAnt, Jan 31, 2021.

1. TestyAnt

TestyAnt

I know swapping in a 350 is a common one, but you guys think a 454 would fit? I have a spare left over. I know small block and big block chevy mounts are the same, so shouldn't be too hard. Just wondering if anyone has.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How big of a shoehorn do you have? Guys have stuffed every engine under the sun in shoeboxes. Some work better than others. The only real issues I see are left side exhaust and firewall clearance.

Back in the 70's my Buddy James Hurst of Waco Tx stuffed a 396 in his 41 Chev pickup and allegedly didn't have to move the steering box while I had to move the box to clear on my 48 with a small block.
    That said you won't know until you try. That said, I keep eyeballing a little shoebox two door as a viable candidate to put my 8 BA in. I really like those shoebox Fords.

3. TestyAnt

TestyAnt

Mine's a 4 door. Trying to make it cool lol. It's all rusty anyway, don't mind cutting. Going to try it and see what happens. Appreciate the response.

4. Smiffy

Smiffy

I know a guy who stuck an L88 427 and 4 speed into a 50 shoebox four door. From memory I believe he used an early Jag rack and pinion steering set up to overcome the steering box issues. I'm talking back in the 1970's. If I remember anymore I'll let you know.

5. BBC small block mounts are similar, but not exactly the same. The overall width of the engine will probably be your biggest hurdle. A spare 454 is a good thing to have laying around!