Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What One Car Would Make You Switch Makes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I've just gone through 25 pages and can't find the thread :rolleyes: ,maybe i seen it elsewhere online, but what one car of another make would you own? For example i'm mostly a Chevrolet guy but the one Ford i would own would be a '61 Ford Galaxie Starliner.
    141903116_5710678572291328_5014198448326292681_n.jpg

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm not a Ford fan either but have a soft spot in my head for those bizarre looking 63 - 64 full size Mercuries with the back slanting roof and the crazy huge 58 - 60 Lincolns. Also a friend used to have a mild custom 72 Mercury coupe that was a knockout. Going back even farther I like the looks of the late 30s Lincoln Zephyr and Continental even though the engine and chassis leave a lot to be desired.

3. Mimilan

Mimilan

Packard

upload_2021-1-31_12-49-50.png

The Burgundy paint job ^^^ is just screaming for Leopard Skin "tuck'n'roll" interior

loudbang, Oilguy, Bbdakota and 8 others like this.
  4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've always had Fords and Chevys but I would consider switching to a '63 Plymouth tudor (possibly a hardtop) with a REALLY BIG wedge with a long cross ram and fenderwell headers.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

For me Ford seems to dominate by would not mind a 1959 Chevy or any year Cord. ;)

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've owned Ford, Mercury, Edsel, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet, & GMC so I don't know that one would call it "switching makes" but I would love to have a '56 Packard Caribbean and a '37 Cord 812 Sportsman.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them all...there are so many options...maybe that's why so many have garages full of Variety to cover that desire...

bdcf8c44b3f664976e9bdfd50373e0d8.jpg

:rolleyes:...One of these would make for a nice stable mate for Stogy...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    loudbang, catdad49, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  8. greybeard360

greybeard360

57 Turnpike Cruiser. Don't know why... Just cool for no reason.

loudbang, wicarnut, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could pull that off in style @Mimilan with a Greta Garbo Hat to cap it all off...and there's a Thread on Leopard right now as we type...not really wowing the Hotrod crowd though...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    loudbang, wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

To arkie's point I've owned many makes of cars and within all of those vehicles have been coupes, roadsters, convertibles, four doors and two doors. I've never owned a kustom. Not a mild custom but a true show kustom.

11. WHAT ONE CAR WOULD MAKE YOU SWITCH MAKES

At this point of time I can't think of one. HRP

Chicster, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

I have piles of Chevy stuff, so to switch would probably need a complete/ running car.
    My only aversions to Ford has been all the specific engine family and trans relationships, and higher part cost. I guess it wouldnt be any different than Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Mopar etc

Chevy is cheap and dumb simple and Im OK with that. Bellybuttons dont bother me.

Not looking for any new projects, but my horizon has broadened to focus on complete, non rusty cars, anything 2 door that fits that is fair game.

13. 2935ford

2935ford

I've gone through a lot of cars so far......many brands, makes and models.
    I gotta say.....I'm quite happy with what I have now. :)

14. Brand loyalty intrigues me. I never fully understood it unless maybe you worked for a manufacturer or dealer.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

Me either. Aligning yourself blindly to one marque severely narrows your options........:confused:

Ned Ludd, loudbang, egads and 7 others like this.
  16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Me too. If it compresses a fuel/air mixture and then ignites it, I like it!

loudbang, egads, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a pretty diehard Chevy guy, but a '33-'34 Ford coupe would make me change fast!

18. What one car would make you switch makes? That is the question. If I’m honest I would go with Dietrich bodied Packard ca. 1934.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, Oilguy, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  19. They are nice cars. My grandpa has had a couple of 34 coupes.

loudbang, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  20. Im a pre-war Ford guy and then a die hard Chevy guy, but a 55 Ford hardtop(not a crown vic, yuck) or a 60 Ford hardtop would get me, but price would have to be right for me to cross that line and they would more than likely end up with a Chevy motor in them.

loudbang, wicarnut, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm a Ford die hard, but have owned several GM and Chrysler vehicles. I would not switch brands totally, but there are a lot of GM's and a few Chryslers I would gladly park in my shop. Most are OT for here, but I'll say any SS Chevelle would be welcome, as would any Corvette, both on topic and off. And I've always had a love for 53-54 Studebakers, and the later Stude Hawks.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not if your chosen marque (to own) covers all the bases for you!
    Doesn't mean other brands don't stir feelings in (me) to this day.
    Before I could drive I spent a good part of my waking hours with my nose in all the car magazines of the day (mid 60's) and I was quite smitten with the 63/64 Plymouth and Dodge sedan drag cars, expected to have one but my mother spotted a 64 Baracuda on a lot but when we test drove it there was noise coming from the rearend, there was a 61 Impala parked next to it, drove it then bought it and well, as they say, that's history.
    I have been a Chevy guy ever since.

23. <<< I like 'em all, but you see what I drive...

24. clem

clem

Acord, not the honda variety but this type..........

hot rod version of course.......

5D82C9AB-B682-4393-A721-2D50398ADD5E.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not done yet. I pick cars I like, regardless of brand. Ask me when I'm done.

A friend once said, "I can't figure out what kind of guy you are." I said, "what do you mean?" He said, "you have several different cars and hardly any the same brand." I said, "I'm a whatever kind of car I like at the time guy.

With that said, I haven't owned a Ford since college and I'm 66. Maybe one will trip my trigger one day. Still haven't owned a Caddy. Didn't finish the Pontiac I had, so there's that. Ask me when I'm done.

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a dye in the wool Ford guy, but my buddy Roger has a '41 Graham (almost a Cord) that is kind of a stalled project...but nicer than the one pictured. I've been trying to weasel it away from him for the past year or so.
    zzzzzz.jpg

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 Nomad, OT 66 post Chevy II L-79 Radio/ heater delete, and lastly one of the 16 1965 Chevelle 396’s

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 1st car I drove was dad's 64 Olds. I killed the trans in about 6 months.

I used to like the mid 60s through the early 70s Fords, until I started having to work on them, and find the right parts to fix them.

After the Olds, I bought a really nice looking OT Buick. 3 motors, 2 sets of rear wheel bearings, and a trans in a year.

After the Buick, I bought a Plymouth. I beat on that thing for 7 years before the trans started slipping at 130,000 miles, had the trans rebuilt and drove it a couple more years. Been Mopars here ever since.

None of the modern cars do not do much for me. The brands seem to run together, can't tell one from the other, and everything under the sheet metal is unfamiliar.

As far as vintage cars that I would own, there are several that are other brands, both on topic and off topic, as long as I don't have to work on them. If its something I will have to fix, about all I understand is last century Mopar and I'm too lazy to learn about other brands and newer stuff. Gene

29. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d never be happy/content with anything other than a Ford.....I’ve had 67 years to prove it......I’ve had all kinds.....of Fords.

30. Jaguar D type, like this one.. 1955-jaguar-d-type.jpg
    but then I'm kinda picky....