Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not Another 41 Pickup Project!! (Update: 12/06)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Well I really hosed that up. Summit paint for the engine and maybe the wheels with dark maroon body paint.

Lee

loudbang likes this.
  2. Wow! That would pop!
    Price is right, too.
    I’ll check out Summit.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Bill this was a while ago so they may not still have it. Seemed like they were clearing out that product line. As far as pop, I hope so. I was using a creamy tan for engine and wheels. Boring! Denise is wintering with her parents and came down to the Ranch for the day. Saw her last at the Lone Star in 09.

Lee

loudbang likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great! I really like the valley pan and valve covers you chose.
    I sprayed my flathead with maroon paint that I had mixed and canned at the paint store with hardener in the can, to match the exterior. Still looks nice and cleans up easy.
    On my Hemi I used Eastwoods gloss black ceramic 2K engine paint. I did the trans, oil pan, intake and block. $25 bucks a can, I think it was a $100 paint job. :eek:

loudbang likes this.
  5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I wasn't even thinking about trying to find a '40-'41 Pickup to go with my coupe but after reading this thread, now I am! I'm enjoying following your progress!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Thanks for the compliments!

Pleasantly surprised today! WOOHOO!
    Pulled the pan today......after I found out that I couldn't rotate the heavy SOB on my non-gear driven engine stand! Took some weight off the front with my hoist and a trailer strap. Worked great!
    Having those heavy ass heads on really makes it tough when it gets to 45 degrees rotation. Haven’t yet figured out how I’ll get it rotated upright.:eek:
    20210202_162412.jpg

Pan will need some love to reach @Bandit Billy standards, though.
    20210202_165512.jpg

Bottom end looks like it was put together yesterday!
    20210202_170459.jpg

And the bonus is that it looks like it was balanced!! Fresh machine and drill marks on the rod caps, piston pin bosses and crank counterweights! The weight records are still legible on the rod caps.
    Plus there is enough room to brush some break-in lube on the cam lobes. I'm super stoked!!
    20210202_170610.jpg

Comp Cams said the cam grind would be engraved or stamped on the rear journal, behind this freeze plug. Think I will leave well enough alone! Or maybe check it with a degree wheel and indicator. Have to see if I feel THAT energetic. There are more pressing issues.
    20210202_161320.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  7. Tedious, back killing, PITA, but it's ready to go in the oven. :D
    Old black was either chipped or multi coats thick. Foil is your friend on the irregular shapes.
    Now if the weather will cooperate just one day, so I can open a bay door, pull the 32 out, and get some primer on it.
    20210207_171914.jpg

brEad and loudbang like this.
  8. Woohoo!!
    When you're a simple person, small things can make your day. I had been moping around after loss of sleep for the wrong reasons, and a little package came today from Germany.
    The wee VW turn signal that I posted before had a defective part, namely the little strap that attaches it to the column. The seller graciously sent me another.
    Amazing how well it fits an Early Ford column.
    Simple minds, simple pleasures!

20210209_153833.jpg
    20210209_154435.jpg

Thanks, I know there is trash behind the gauge glass. It still has to come apart for new gauge faces.
    Now.... it's back to that aggravating Desoto.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's nothing a little sanding, primer and a heavy 2k flow coat can't fix. And always remember the famous adage "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing it shiny":cool:
    upload_2021-2-9_14-16-13.png

10. That Eastwood 2K looks like good stuff! Too bad they don’t have it in a maroon.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a fact! I went to the local paint store and had them make 6 cans of royal maroon and put them into rattle cans.
    They were base coat to be clear coated with the Eastwood 2k high gloss clear. I used a high heat primer on the flathead before painting. It has been driven and the paint still looks nice after being hot. No adhesion issues either.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Great tip! What type of paint did they put in rattle cans? Acrylic enamel?
    I’m headed to our paint supplier tomorrow.
    Actually found a left over can (actually only a couple ozs) of GM Brandywine 2K from my long ago 56 pickup. Still had a legible code, so I see where that goes.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I used acrylic enamel base. Here is a shot of the oil pan after clear coating.
    upload_2021-2-10_11-26-5.png

14. Thanks, looks great!
    What brand is it?
    My NAPA/Martin-Senour paint guy said his acrylic enamel would burn off on the heads. Other paint jobbers here are 30 miles away.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure what the brand of paint was and I am at work now, I can look later and see what they wrote on the cans. I can't speak to the heads as my flathead has aluminum heads but it has stuck everywhere else. But that also why I used a high heat primer.

That 2k Eastwood Ceramic engine paint the hemi is painted with sure didn't burn off during the burn in. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  16. Thanks for your efforts. When you have time.
    If the maroon held up around the flathead’s in the block exhaust ports, hopefully it will hold up on the hemi’s.
    Bill

loudbang and Grandadeo like this.
  17. Not much to write home about from here on the frontier. Got some 2K from Eastwood, but too rainy and cold to paint the lump of a Desoto.
    I think I got the multi-layered black carved down and ready for primer.
    This heavy SOB has tried to whip me but you don't get old by not learning things. With it upside down with the heads on, it was impossible to rotate back upright. Engine hoist and sling first around one head, then the other, got the job done. Whew!
    20210215_161950_Burst01.jpg
    20210215_161912.jpg

Made up a brake parts shopping list for front and rear. Guess that's next on the agenda. Stay tooned.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    The 39 guy, Hamtown Al, brEad and 5 others like this.
  18. Still slow here on the frontier.
    Front and rear brake parts ($$ = everything) started coming in from four different Rock Auto warehouses.
    Don't think I like that.
    20210225_164719.jpg

Chemical stripped several heavy coats of paint off the Desoto oil pan, getting it ready for primer. Couple of dents to take care of. My mentor@Bandit Billy, said "Smoooooth and Shiney, even if you can't see it!"
    20210225_163922.jpg

Three lone days of spring-like weather with no rain gave me the choice of engine painting ......or getting this slab (45x55 tapered down to 25 wide driveway) poured up to the existing shop slab. Finally can move a car in and out and not have to fight the gravel.
    2 truck loads, 20 yards, with fiber and wire/rebar took care of a bunch of Benjamins !
    20210224_172833.jpg
    20210224_152210.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Tim, 40LUV, Bandit Billy and 7 others like this.
  19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smooth concrete is always a benefit and it pays dividends every day. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smooth and shiny can apply to concrete as well. :cool:

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Easier to shovel for sure.

hotrodA, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  22. HA! Now I know why you moved to FL.
    Two years ago I had to bust and shovel 4” of packed ice and snow on 500 feet of driveway just to get in and out. No fun.
    IMG_2010.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    loudbang and Grandadeo like this.
  23. Finally got some self-etch primer on this aggravating thing. A lot of labor for something that no one will see.
    Just couldn't leave it alone.:rolleyes:
    20210227_152854.jpg

brEad, Grandadeo and loudbang like this.
  24. Concrete and fill has about wore me out, but today was so nice, I rolled the 32 outside on to the new concrete, and moved the 330 lump over to the door.
    Two coats of Eastwood 2K high temp primer on the engine and oil pan.
    Small step but a big one in the scheme of things.
    20210304_173448-1.jpg
    Not as slick as @Bandit Billy's but good enough for the oil change guy, or wayward possum.
    20210304_180905.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  25. @Bandit Billy
    How long did you wait after the color coat before you applied the Eastwood 2K clear?
    Thanks!
    Bill

loudbang likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just until it dried to the touch, maybe an hour or so. it was all done the same day. The clear makes it so easy to clean up my flathead's "droppings" although that was nearly eliminated byt he addition of the PCV I added.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am no expert (though I play one on TV) but i would not try that hardened clear over rustoleum without trying a small sample piece first. I am not a rustoleum fan at all but something tell me thats no bueno.
    Go somewhere else.
    And who the hell is broncobilly? :cool:

Guy Patterson and loudbang like this.
  28. Thanks! Corrected!:oops: Must have confused you with another famous guy.
    2EFBAD22-DF30-43EA-ABC9-7E5F2537BD16.jpeg

Didn’t think that I could do a sample spray out, since once the EW 2K is activated in the can it has a limited pot life, and I would lose it.

Thinking to just buy a quart of another brand and be done with it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.