Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Filling welds the right way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marlinmustang, Jan 29, 2021.

1. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

First time welding in panels. They came out great but I am unsure what is the next step. Grind down and epoxy prime then fill? Or fill the bigger issues (something that needs more than a very thin layer) and epoxy prime then do the finish touches again with filler.

2. Need pics.
    Usually they are ground then hammer and dollied to remove stress from the welding process.
    From there it’s up to you.

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

grind
    epoxy primer
    body filler
    reprime
    sand and paint

j hansen likes this.
  4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Grind,fill, epoxy here...
    I know people that like to epoxy an fill over... To me it's just another"bull's eye" in the final scheme of things... Results may vary... 38 yrs. In the business

Busted Knuckles likes this.

5. Grind, hammer and dolly, epoxy prime, filler, sand, high build, sand and paint shiny.

deathrowdave likes this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Take your time grinding so you don't get the metal hot and warp it........

juan motime likes this.
  7. I have found that when you hammer and dolly a mig weld it often cracks. I would like to hammer the weld when it is still red but I don't have 3 hands. So far, I weld carefully to get good penetration with little build up on top and then grind the weld down. I wish I could hammer and dolly it down first but again I am afraid of cracking the weld.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Fill the larger holes with..."weld".
    I'm doing that now. I put two hoods together to make up a cowl induction hood. I'm doing my best to finish the whole weld, about 5'+ of weld with NO plastic filler.
    My semi-finished pictures are too large. Will have to shrink one tomorrow.

DSC_0202m.JPG

Mike

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I tend to use Allmetal or Kitty Hair over the welds to fill after grinding down the welds. Those products are supposedly water proof so if I miss anything I'm hoping I'll be ok. Epoxy and then the rest of the dance...